Coiltek Nox 10x5 - Watch Out!

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

The biggest oddity is the bolt holes being different so you can't use an Equinox bolt, you have to use the Coiltek bolt.  Why they'd do something like that just makes no sense to me and all it would have taken is the bolt hole to be an extra millimeter or so bigger. 

You could just ream the holes out a bit to make the Nox bolt fit. I've been thinking of doing that to my 10x5". It might void the warranty but mine came broken and I fixed it myself so that's probably a mute point. 

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

15 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

You could just ream the holes out a bit to make the Nox bolt fit. I've been thinking of doing that to my 10x5". It might void the warranty....

How about going the other direction and reduce (with sandpaper, etc.) the OD of the screw's shank?  I don't think screws come with warranties.  😉

Better yet, if you can get a 5/16 inch screw/bolt (easier in the USA...), I suspect that would work fine (based upon the photo Phrunt showed).  I don't have the new Nox 5"x10" coil but I measured an Equinox screw.  Here are some pertinent dimensions:

Eqx screw shank diameter:  8.0 mm (0.32 in)

Eqx screw diameter at threads:  7.8 mm (0.31 in)

5/16" screw diameter at shank:  7.84 mm (0.309 in)

5/16" screw diameter at threads:  7.75 mm (0.305 in)

For reference 5/16" = is 7.94 mm (rounded to 2 decimal places)

(Note:  neither of these screws was perfectly round.  In the case of the Eqx screw I rounded the measurements to one decimal place.  For the 5/16" steel screw I happen to measur, I posted the largest value as I rotated it in the caliper.)

My favorite stock coil attachment screw of my collection of detectors is the White's 3/8 inch diameter.  Turns out a standard bolt for attaching a toilet seat to a toilet bowl in the USA is that very size, and plastic ones are available at pretty much every hardware store in the country.  (But even in that case, the shank of a plastic toilet seat screw may need sanding down a bit.  However if you happen to lose the White's nut but not the bolt, the toilet bowl nut works just fine unmodified.)

Afterthought:  7/16" diameter bolts are also used for some toilet seats, so if you choose to go that direction with a White's detector make sure to get the smaller 3/8" size.

• Like 5

I measured the Coiltek and Minelab bolts and there are significant differences in diameter and length. I had noticed that the Coiltek bolt looked thinner in diameter so I just used it and never tried the Minelab bolt.  I figurered I'd check it out to see at what point the Minelab bolt would stop going into the Coiltek yoke and it just slid right in. I didn't have to modify it at all.

Coiltek-V-Minelab-Bolts.jpg

10x5-with-Minelab-Bolt.JPEG

• Like 3

Maybe they fixed it on later coils, I have one of the first batch.  That's good news for buyers if that is the case.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, phrunt said:

Maybe they fixed it on later coils, I have one of the first batch.  That's good news for buyers if that is the case.

Your bolt looks like it's very close to going into the yoke. Maybe lightly sand the solid part of the Minelab bolt's shank as GB_Amateur suggested and it may just slip in.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 7:23 AM, phrunt said:

Yes, really enjoying the CTX and currently looking into the Coiltek coils for it.

You'll see...The baby Is a sniper tool♥️...Unluckily Is not properly an underwater diving coil😭 

IMG_20210626_075733.jpg

• Like 5

I haven't been able to find one to buy 😞  I think it's discontinued.

• Oh my! 1

Just now, phrunt said:

I haven't been able to find one to buy 😞  I think it's discontinued.

Try to straight call Trevor...My 2 cents

• Like 1