Final Hunt On My Silver Beach For A While

10 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

So , you got skunked ....Is that all there was ? 

Yer skembarasskn' me ! skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

C'mon depositors !    Gettin' close,, I can already smell the targets ..

Yep. I got skunked. I'm hoping I get skunked again next year too 😍 😄

1 hour ago, Jim in ma said:

OUTSTANDING   99.9% of all detectorists will only be able to dream of silver like that!!!!  

Thanks Jim. I had to fire the guy that was seeding my silver for me 😄 Unreliable he was. Seriously, somehow there was enough sand removed to reveal a lot more coins than I imagined were there. I'm hoping it continues because it's a long beach and if other areas open up like that, then high coin counts can be expected. Hopefully some gold as well.  If you want to get out and hunt some beaches off season together, I can hunt the dry while you hunt the water. That way if the sharks get you I can pull you out! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yup yup , That's the kinda "Stink" we're all lookin' for ! 

So ya got "dosed" real good ! 😏

(I think the detector's magnetic field will defeat a shark's location skills  🤔, so VERY safe to be in the water with one.....well it's a theory that needs "field" testing ,,,,, good luck !)

• Like 1

So I started to tumble the clad that I found for the season mostly to clean up the Buffalo nickels and this turned up? 284 nickels tumbled and one of them ended up being a 1943 War nickel. ❤️

1943 war nickel 2.jpg

1943 war nickel.jpg

• Like 2

So does that count as your 200th silver coin of the season?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

So does that count as your 200th silver coin of the season?

Yep....... Actually, I shouldn't even count any of the war nickels since the contain so little silver. 😄 But it did come from that beach. I'm finishing up the clad and putting it away with the rest of the previous years clad. I bet a lot of people leave war nickels with their clad. Sometimes it's hard to tell you have one because they are green like regular nickels, other times they are clean as can be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Actually, I shouldn't even count any of the war nickels since the contain so little silver.

I think it's between 75% and 80% as much silver as a 90% silver dime.  So not too bad.  (Considered that way, 10 cents worth of warnicks has considerably more silver than a 10 cent silver dime.)  Around where I live, they tend to come out of the ground looking much nicer than the typical 5 cent 'nickel' coin.  The acid in the trees (mostly the leaves, I think) does a number on 25% nickel, 75% copper -- same composition as the outer layers of actual clad dimes, quarter, halves, dollars which can also look pretty wretched when recovered.  Ironically, warnicks found in circulation are dull gray looking compared to standard nickels, just the opposite of what comes out of the ground.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Yep....... Actually, I shouldn't even count any of the war nickels since the contain so little silver. 😄 But it did come from that beach. I'm finishing up the clad and putting it away with the rest of the previous years clad. I bet a lot of people leave war nickels with their clad. Sometimes it's hard to tell you have one because they are green like regular nickels, other times they are clean as can be.

13 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I think it's between 75% and 80% as much silver as a 90% silver dime.  So not too bad.  (Considered that way, 10 cents worth of warnicks has considerably more silver than a 10 cent silver dime.)  Around where I live, they tend to come out of the ground looking much nicer than the typical 5 cent 'nickel' coin.  The acid in the trees (mostly the leaves, I think) does a number on 25% nickel, 75% copper -- same composition as the outer layers of actual clad dimes, quarter, halves, dollars which can also look pretty wretched when recovered.  Ironically, warnicks found in circulation are dull gray looking compared to standard nickels, just the opposite of what comes out of the ground.

War nickels have 35% silver, silver dimes have 90% silver, 10% copper.

1942 P nickel

DESIGNER:

Felix Schlag
EDGE:

Plain
DIAMETER:

21.20 millimeters
WEIGHT:

5.00 grams
MINTAGE:

MINT:

Philadelphia