Things Can Only Get Better

Only got about an hour and a half in at the farmhouse here in NC today. I found that the house is still on Google maps, so I had an actual photo to use with GPS and was able to identify exactly where the house was, and where I was in relation to it. Apparently it was taken down within the last 10 years.

First and second hits were coins, a real Zincoln and a 1974 penny. The Zincoln was about 6" deep. The older one was about the same.20210527_212638.thumb.jpg.0ae4970bfcff7415c9018bc81c5e73c2.jpg

There has to be some silver here! I took @rod-pa's suggestion and switched all metal off, looking for only deep high tones (15 up, my choice) that were repeatable, skipping the surface stuff (2-4") that I'm sure was can slaw. I think that since I don't have a lot of time I need to get busy and stick with the "good" stuff. There isn't a tremendous amount of iron here but it is significantly more than I thought. Dealing with iron cancelled out is easier, but kinda scary. I just never trusted it before.

Got at least one real relic, a really nice brass rein guide complete with the attaching nut. It was a 30/31. Some copper tubing, some old gears (30-32 ID), bullet, and a shotgun shell. Only one piece of iron got me. I found some wire but dropped it off in a trash can.

The Howard Jones tune played in my head so hence the title.

20210527_212316.jpg

• Like 9

Should you find out where the old outhouse was, go that direction, also if there were clothes lines in the picture try that area also. I have done that around the places I hunt and have come up with some nice pieces.

Good luck on  your next outing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure i would say i "trust" turning the horseshoe off, F350.  I would more say it helps me focus on the fainter high tones, and once I think it sounds good, i most often switch horseshoe back on and make sure I still think i want to dig it.  When i pinpoint, i usually first swing a wide circle around it to hear if there are other targets around it that are strong enough to skew the tones I am hearing from my desired target.

Sometimes the pinpoint will show a strong iron target to one side (lets say to the right).  if it does, then i move to the left side of my hoped for "good" target, turn 90deg, back up a bit, and swing from further away until on the "good" target to make sure i am not just getting a ghost of that iron item.

Please don't take this as surefire stuff.  I have been skunked a lot of times at sites that i Know must have wonderful old stuff hiding, but I can say that working this way has helped me so much this year at finding the deeper older coins.  Also...resisting the urge to go fast, and swing really slow in crowded area.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rod-pa said:

I am not sure i would say i "trust" turning the horseshoe off, F350. 

I totally understand. It's a good trial though to try techniques other successful people use (I have seen your finds, wow... 👍). I want to get really good at this. I'm not asking for gospel, and don't take any suggestions as such. 🙂 The "fast track" is to listen and learn, and speculate every now and again so people will "kick" ya.

Does the pinpoint hold the real id - I sometimes try and "catch" the one that seems to be the average - when it's over something ? I know it doesn't change once selected so I try to hit the exact spot again once locked on. I am happy with that because it seems to work for me, but no idea. It would be great if ML could do that if not. 😀

• Like 2

House lots are hard to do, especially if they are farms. The coins are mixed in with a ton of nails and lots of high conductor targets like copper pipes, large aluminum, etc. You have to really slow down your swing and lower your recover speed to 4 or lower if you can get away with it. Slowing your physical swing speed down to match it. That gets you depth. I would also try setting it up in 5 tones and have the 5th tone be the highest pitch and have it set to 25 and up. I would just concentrate on those high numbers to see if you can get some silver or large coppers out of it. If you find a spot that produces you can always come back to it and go 2 tone with no discrimination and dig what numbers you want.  Just some thoughts on how I might try it, but every place is different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I totally understand. It's a good trial though to try techniques other successful people use (I have seen your finds, wow... 👍). I want to get really good at this. I'm not asking for gospel, and don't take any suggestions as such. 🙂 The "fast track" is to listen and learn, and speculate every now and again so people will "kick" ya.

Does the pinpoint hold the real id - I sometimes try and "catch" the one that seems to be the average - when it's over something ? I know it doesn't change once selected so I try to hit the exact spot again once locked on. I am happy with that because it seems to work for me, but no idea. It would be great if ML could do that if not. 😀

when pinpointing on really deep targets, once i have it zeroed in on the highest strength spot, i usually glance at the TiD it is showing, then turn off pinpoint and wiggle that spot again to see how nice the tone sounds still.  if I am getting iron tones still, I am listening to how quiet they are compared to the ferrous tone as many times that is now just dirt feedback.  If the ferrous tones are still nice sounding, its getting dug.  In the areas that have Rev war activity, I am digging the lowest high tones also for pewter buttons.  Last two deep pewter buttons were small and registered only 5 and 7. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pinpoint displays the last target ID that the Equinox displayed before hitting the pinpoint button. So the display during pinpoint mode could possibly display your target's ID, another target's ID or no ID and just -- depending on where your coil was when you hit the pinpoint button. Generally, I disregard the number displayed during pinpointing especially since Minelab's manual for the Equinox recommends pressing the pinpoint button AWAY from any targets and then pinpointing your target area. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Pinpoint displays the last target ID that the Equinox displayed before hitting the pinpoint button. So the display during pinpoint mode could possibly display your target's ID, another target's ID or no ID and just -- depending on where your coil was when you hit the pinpoint button. Generally, I disregard the number displayed during pinpointing especially since Minelab's manual for the Equinox recommends pressing the pinpoint button AWAY from any targets and then pinpointing your target area. 

Thanks Jeff. 🙂

Since the number displays for a few seconds I take the coil off target if I can, sometimes there's other stuff around it that prevents that. I "catch" that number and go back over to pinpoint. It works but I'm probably wishful that the pinpointer would be dynamic...

Wouldn't that be cool? 😀 Probably negate the whole thing. 😈

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rod-pa said:

when pinpointing on really deep targets, once i have it zeroed in on the highest strength spot, i usually glance at the TiD it is showing, then turn off pinpoint and wiggle that spot again to see how nice the tone sounds still.  if I am getting iron tones still, I am listening to how quiet they are compared to the ferrous tone as many times that is now just dirt feedback.  If the ferrous tones are still nice sounding, its getting dug.  In the areas that have Rev war activity, I am digging the lowest high tones also for pewter buttons.  Last two deep pewter buttons were small and registered only 5 and 7. 

Yep - I know those signals! I've dug hundreds of brass, pewter, lead, and Tombacs in just a few short months. Wish I had the luxury of hunting like I do at the farm, but here it's limited to heat, bugs, and number of holes. 😀

I'm using your techniques this very minute. Already got one wheat and I've only been here a little while. Got two pull tabs too that came up deep. 😵 There's a quarter signal (32-34 solid) under some big roots but I didn't bring an axe. May try to go sideways.

4 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

House lots are hard to do, especially if they are farms. The coins are mixed in with a ton of nails and lots of high conductor targets like copper pipes, large aluminum, etc. You have to really slow down your swing and lower your recover speed to 4 or lower if you can get away with it. Slowing your physical swing speed down to match it. That gets you depth. I would also try setting it up in 5 tones and have the 5th tone be the highest pitch and have it set to 25 and up. I would just concentrate on those high numbers to see if you can get some silver or large coppers out of it. If you find a spot that produces you can always come back to it and go 2 tone with no discrimination and dig what numbers you want.  Just some thoughts on how I might try it, but every place is different.

I'm running Field 2, 50 tones, 23 sensitivity. Going to try turning recovery down a bit. This is a 600 so adjustments are a bit more severe.

What you get when you dig deep is pretty much what it says, the top 4" being the exception. Lots of aluminum on top. Party city.

• Like 1