White's DFX Spectrum E-series

Hi, so I've been metal detecting for a while now and have had some really good metal detectors like the Garrett Ace 400 and such and last week I just purchased the whites DFX Spectrum E-Series because I couldn't beat the price. This metal detector is awesome but really advanced and what I really would like to know is if this Jewel can be set up to find small gold nuggets or any gold nuggets for that matter. Any advise or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

2 hours ago, craigsmobilerepair365 said:

Hi, so I've been metal detecting for a while now and have had some really good metal detectors like the Garrett Ace 400 and such and last week I just purchased the whites DFX Spectrum E-Series because I couldn't beat the price. This metal detector is awesome but really advanced and what I really would like to know is if this Jewel can be set up to find small gold nuggets or any gold nuggets for that matter. Any advise or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

What part of the world are you located in?  That will make a big difference, but generally I would not think the DFX will fit the bill. It may hit on some bigger nuggets, probably will never even see the small stuff, and will probably not work in any kind of hot dirt. It is a decent coin and relic machine, but being a VLF and not being a PI machine, you will be quickly limited in hot dirt. I had one for 10 years and when used for relics and coins, it held its own quite well.

• Like 2

Basically, no. The DFX is a good detector, so good I have one myself. But nugget detecting is dead last at what it is good at. Since you have one you could use it, and any detector in theory can find gold nuggets. But reality is you are going to be hunting areas that have been pounded for decades with better machines, and the easy stuff is generally gone. That makes having cutting edge performance while nugget detecting more important than most other types of detecting.

If you must give it a go, use the smallest coil you can use, and review this article:

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The thread Steve linked to is a great discussion and explanation of the ground balance systems and differences on different machines, particularly the V3i, DFX, and MXT/GMT.  Anyone who is confused on the difference between Auto Tracking, Lock, Ground Grab, and Offset, should read that thread with Steve's usual easy-to-understand explanations.  Reading that thread reminded me again how I so very much wish White's would have included a true manual ground balance control on the V3i and MXT.  Wishful thinking, but maybe Garrett can re-release these models with all the various improvements we've all wanted.  The V3i would be a beast with an updated faster processor and a handful of other minor tweaks.   

As for the original question, as a former user of the DFX, I found it pretty good but not great for small gold jewelry hunting (never used it for nugget hunting), but the V3i is better ... better than either of them is the MXT.  But the DFX is still pretty good especially once you learn it.  And learning all the adjustments will help you learn how metal detectors work since with the DFX you have control over many more parameters than with most other detectors, and you are "forced" to learn what each of the adjustments do.  It's an underappreciated detector.  Good luck and have fun.

• Thanks 1

Ironically I appreciate the fact that the DFX, by today’s standards, is very stable, compared to the sparky machines we get now. Sometimes a well behaved detector is a nice change, and the DFX is nothing if not well behaved. There are times I do not need to hear every staple or flake of aluminum in the ground. Long story short I went back to DFX from V3i for the third time, because it actually is a little more toned down, and plays better with my Bigfoot coil.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Ironically I appreciate the fact that the DFX, by today’s standards, is very stable, compared to the sparky machines we get now. Sometimes a well behaved detector is a nice change, and the DFX is nothing if not well behaved. There are times I do not need to hear every staple or flake of aluminum in the ground. Long story short I went back to DFX from V3i for the third time, because it actually is a little more toned down, and plays better with my Bigfoot coil.

Funny, I remember when I got the DFX that I thought it was too sparky compared to the Eagle Spectrum which was smooth as silk. Now I look back at the DFX and go .... That's not sparky! 😄

• Like 1