ID Screen ?

Kelpike

While hunting the property of an old house with my new Orx, I noticed a few times that I received a sound that seemed decent but the ID screen never came up. I even tried scanning my trowel to kind of "reset" the reading but it still didn't come up for the target. Does the screen not come up when the detector is rejecting a target? Is there a way to tell the detector to show that screen?

• Like 1

Chance is the target is deep. I just got an Orx and noticed deep iron can give a faint signal that gives no ID. If you dig some dirt out you may get a signal. The 9" round HF isn't super deep when it comes to coin sized objects so a hand digger should get you into range of those targets and audible with a pinpointer. Larger objects would be out of range of most pinpointers with a no display target. Make sense?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kac said:

Chance is the target is deep. I just got an Orx and noticed deep iron can give a faint signal that gives no ID. If you dig some dirt out you may get a signal. The 9" round HF isn't super deep when it comes to coin sized objects so a hand digger should get you into range of those targets and audible with a pinpointer. Larger objects would be out of range of most pinpointers with a no display target. Make sense?

I do get what your saying. These don't seem to be faint signals. I'll have to try and dig a couple to check them out. Being new to the Orx, faint signals are very confusing to me, probably warranting another post at some point.

• Like 2

Basically they are fringe targets where there is not enough response for the machine to display an id but will give you just audio feed back. Happens on other detectors too.

• Like 2

Last year I did a test with mask materials over a dime to see if there is an id shift and found that the ORX coin modes won't produce sound or id's but under the gold modes they produce an accurate in size audio response. So if the mineralization bar is mid/high and not a whole lot of trash use the gold modes to scout for targets.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 7:50 PM, kac said:

Basically they are fringe targets where there is not enough response for the machine to display an id but will give you just audio feed back. Happens on other detectors too.

On 5/29/2021 at 5:53 AM, Chase Goldman said:

XP are primarily audio machines.  If you get the mid or high audio (without iron volume), no ID, but a low Orx iron probability bar (or non-ferrous sliver on the Deus Horseshoe display), that's a deep probable non-ferrous (dig me) signal.

(This response is for both quotes) I really need to learn this machine better. Most of my targets are fairly shallow unless they are large iron. I need to learn to quiet the machine down a bit. It is very chatty in the yard I'm hunting. I will try some of the things people have posted. Hoping that will help. The yard I'm hunting was possibly the first built in that town. 

• Like 1

I find that the iron probability bar is a very useful feature and it is pretty reliable too. I’m just now wondering how and if it varies when you pass over a target from multiple directions. Anyway interrogation of a iffy target consists of audio response, target ID and iron probability bar with passes from several directions.