Legend Of Croc Gold

That was a great video clip and related to gold, thanks.👍 Some of the older natives in the village still use the Master term when I was there.

5 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

Thanks for posting, I'm always interested in history, history of gold prospecting is a added bonus!

Since that video "First Contact" was just a preview I had to see the rest so after much searching I found a site that has the entire video in 2 parts that free to watch, I haven't found the second and third part of the trilogy ("Joe Leahy's Neighbours" and "Black Harvest")to watch for free yet but still looking.

If you have watched the preview posted you can skip ahead about 9+ minutes because the preview is the first of the whole video, once the first part plays and finishes..just wait and the second part will load and play automatically.

https://archive.org/details/firstcontact_201602/firstcontactreel1.mov

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some photos

Capture2.thumb.JPG.fe873ee01c6dff3f67d966eefde5487b.JPG

Practicing to jump the crocs ( really it was for the fallen coconuts trees) Old photo -young me.

crocodiles.thumb.JPG.04c9d38ec211e7d36be908d61b2e724a.JPG

I am on the right side of the river.

p1010907.thumb.JPG.bab035783f4c7ad88e28b06120c126f8.JPG

Wrong side of the river.

p1010908.thumb.JPG.ef494ae0a09ccbe0d8a7456d76bc2325.JPG

I guess Carol was gamer or was it zoom lens.

19894925_1442106012549261_7150459772799321046_n.thumb.jpg.c2bdb123d02fdc57dc5f201e9d5ae528.jpg

Some native Bougainville's going the other way on our hike to a gold mine.

Mine.jpg.2505697185ab263236b4b4331cf62a0c.jpg

A local couple extracting some ore from their mine.

• Like 8

Found a video on the opening of the big mine from way back in the 1960. Major earthworks had to be done. So much for our small nugget extraction holes when detecting.

https://fb.watch/5YaUf6-rQM/

There were heaps of bulldozers and hydraulic earth moving. 

I should mention all this work was done before the mine started to produce and the 100 & 210 ton trucks got there to move the ore.

• Like 2

I'm very bias to Bougainville chance's of becoming a world leader in gold and copper mining again.

https://www.bcl.com.pg/revisit-panguna/

And this is after 40 years away from the island that really set me up for life, as well as being the best years of of my life. I wish the Bougainvillian's the best of luck that they deserve.👍 

Some facts of the mine

In the 17 years prior to 1989, the mine produced concentrate containing three million tonnes of copper, 306 tonnes of gold and 784 tonnes of silver. The production had a value of 5.2 billion Kina (K) which represented approximately 44 per cent of Papua New Guinea’s exports over that period.  

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

The work done to start mining

I went to Bougainville at the start of 1973 and worked there until late 1979 when we left to return home mainly for the sake of my boys to settle down for starting secondary school. I still consider it as one of my best life experience and it set me up with a great start for the rest of my life. The local people were some of the best I have ever meet.

This u-tube video shows the activity that had to be done to start a large scale mining operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu5leDuRcUY 

The Plant construction video from BCL.

On 15th May 1989 production was brought to a halt by militant activity and the mine has remained closed since. In the 17 years prior to 1989, the mine produced concentrate containing 3 million tonnes of copper, 306 tonnes of gold and 784 tonnes of silver.

Extracts from Wikipedia

The population of Bougainville was recorded as 249,358 in the 2011 census but is estimated to now be around 300,000. Its people, Bougainvilleans, are mostly Melanesian but there are also descendants of Micronesian and Polynesian origin (mostly from the outer atolls).

History. The mine at Panguna was opened in 1972 and was majority-owned by Rio Tinto. The mine was vitally important to the economy of Papua New Guinea. The PNG national government received a 20% share of profit from the mine, of which the Bougainvilleans received 5% - 1.25% share of the total profit.

About Bougainville Copper Limited
The Company is owned approximately 53.83% by Rio Tinto Limited. The Papua New Guinea Government owns approximately 19.06% while public shareholders hold the remaining 27.11% of the share capital.

On 15th May 1989 production was brought to a halt by militant activity and the mine has remained closed since. In the 17 years prior to 1989, the mine produced concentrate containing three million tonnes of copper, 306 tonnes of gold and 784 tonnes of silver.

A decade of violent conflict
Over the years of fighting, different armed factions emerged, including the Bougainville Revolutionary Army and the Bougainville Resistance Forces. A large proportion of the population was displaced and up to 20,000 people died as a result of the conflict.

https://news.mongabay.com/2020/04/decades-old-mine-in-bougainville-exacts-devastating-human-toll-report/

• Like 4