XP Orx Ip Rating?

Kelpike

The pinpointer is probably similar to other waterproof pinpointers where it can stay submerged.

As for the Brain Box I would suspect it would be no better than a cell phone waterproof case by the way they are constructed so I wouldn't keep it dunked for a long period of time.

There are plenty of waterproof machines out that can be dunked all day from the Simplex to the Nox series. I still use my AT Pro for fresh water hunting as it does a good job for that.

T

12 hours ago, Kelpike said:

I feel like they should list an IP rating for each item. These are items that are used in all different conditions daily.

There is nothing that mandates a product having an IP rating, however, if you are going to advertise an IP rating, then that requires you to test the equipment in accordance with the standard requiring additional expense to either conduct the test or outsource testing to a qualified environmental test house, not to mention redesigns to fix any flaws revealed during testing.  Not worth it for most detector companies to bother doing so.  Especially if, like XP, all your constituent detector components are not specifically designed to be water or dust tight.  It really only marginally moves the needle on sales provided the design and test costs do not significantly drive up product pricing.  If your equipment is not being used in a safety critical application that mandates the spec and if you are not facing stiff completion from a large number of manufacturers (e.g. wireless headphones or cell phones), it makes more business sense for detector manufacturers to be more fuzzy on the details of their equipment's environmental resilence with respect to water intrusion.

• Like 1

Keep in mind if the coil is submerged you need to run the wire up so it transmits to the control box. If the Box is submerged you need to get wired headphones as wireless does not transmit through water. End of the day if you plan on dunking a machine and doing some water hunting you can just get a water proof detector with waterproof headphones.

I use my Orx to scout out areas, pick through parks and woods hunting. I did putter around the beach with it on the wet and dry sand but didn't submerge and kept the coil dry. It did run nice but honestly I have other machines that are better suited for the beach and not concerned about toasting something or corroding contacts with them.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2021 at 6:08 PM, Chase Goldman said:

T

There is nothing that mandates a product having an IP rating, however, if you are going to advertise an IP rating, then that requires you to test the equipment in accordance with the standard requiring additional expense to either conduct the test or outsource testing to a qualified environmental test house, not to mention redesigns to fix any flaws revealed during testing.  Not worth it for most detector companies to bother doing so.  Especially if, like XP, all your constituent detector components are not specifically designed to be water or dust tight.  It really only marginally moves the needle on sales provided the design and test costs do not significantly drive up product pricing.  If your equipment is not being used in a safety critical application that mandates the spec and if you are not facing stiff completion from a large number of manufacturers (e.g. wireless headphones or cell phones), it makes more business sense for detector manufacturers to be more fuzzy on the details of their equipment's environmental resilence with respect to water intrusion.

Guess I never thought about it like that. That does make sense.