Metal Detecting For Gold Nuggets And Old Coin’s And Relic’s

“Look of a reason to dig not for an excuse not to dig”

Don`t you wish after a tiring, hot day you could remember that one rule rather than the cold drink that is waiting. Bloody cold drink wins most the time, but heh gives you a dig for first up in next morn.

• Like 2

I believe Rye Patch Ron has some very good information for anyone starting out or is average in using a metal detector. When you become a professional  is when you learn to read between the lines on information that anyone may offer you on your search to better yourself. In fact that applies to anything a person reads today.

• Like 2

Having known Ron for many years, I can certainly vouch for his sincerity and genuine effort to contribute to the knowledge base that makes this such a great forum. He has a wealth of experience to share with those eager to learn about our fantastic hobby. I for one am proud to call him a friend and have the privilege of serving with him on Team Nugget Busters for Gerry's Detectors, one of the best detector dealers on the planet. Anyone can check Gerry's track record and see that he is one of the highest volume dealers, second to none in customer service, and the fact that he doesn't even advertise in any of the gold magazines itself should speak volumes. Sorry Steve, but I just had to get my blatant plug in there!

• Like 3

Crikey, I feel like a Pro at times but then I remember the wife`s rolling pin. Why`s everyone looking at me !!!!!!!

Great write-up Ron! I am a repeat offender and have been personally trained by Gerry, Ron and Lunk in 3 different 3-day training classes and learned many new things each time.  When I read Ron's words, I found myself nodding YES in every paragraph. I bought my first GPX and didn't have the benefit of professional training and guess what...I didn't find any gold! That quickly changed after my first training class and I took alot of notes that I still use today to refresh my memory after a long winter in Colorado. I have built quite a library and still read information on detecting like a new kid in a library. I'm still learning from the pros and will always be open to new tips. Thank you for your service to the nugget hunting profession. :D  :minelab: = :nugget:

Bill

• Like 1

• Steve Herschbach changed the title to Metal Detecting For Gold Nuggets And Old Coin’s And Relic’s

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Againstmywill
      Detected for a little over an hour today at a local basketball court with the 5x10 Coiltek on the Equinox 800. There were 29 dimes pulled from the ground with more left there, as my legs were feeling the up-down blues. I was going for coins and ring signals in the 5-15 range. Found one wheat penny, but nothing else spectacular. The 5x10 is like using a laser in the trash-littered grass surrounding the court. Even around a trashcan, the coins were still findable among the pull tabs and foil that miss the can.
      The 5 yen coin was found yesterday at a park; it is worth a whole 4 cents! Takers?
      Park 1, all metal, 7 recovery, 50 tones, 20 sensitivity

• By rod-pa
      Ozzie took me out to a new site he has visited previously.  It was a working farm from somewhere in 1700s, but is abandoned now.  Things are grown up so badly around most of the property that even though the house is only 30 feet from the road, i bet 99% of folks have no idea its there.  There was so much undergrowth, hunting close to the house was impossible, so we split up and worked on areas of what would have been fields and some yard.  Pretty typical mess for around us....buried large metal who-knows-what probably up to and including farm equipment.  The sun was out, but it was brisk, alternating some blowing rain squalls...jacket on, jacket off, jacket on, jacket off.  Got a couple spoon parts, partial harmonica reed, lead blobs for awhile.  Another really loud lead blob sounding tone, but a hair cleaner, and out pops the most likely civil war era rosette for on a bit.  30 feet further, and the nicest Indian I have gotten in a long time.  love those greenies.  To end the day, found the '40 merc and '43 war nickel under a nice big sycamore.
      A big shoutout to Calabash for the videos you make...i watched a couple of them a bunch and worked this summer on FE and FE2 settings, making sure I kept the values low enough to mask as little as possible.  When digging the IndianHead, i had plenty of iron tones with it, but decided to dig because the non-ferrous was mid, and not high so was fairly certain it wasnt just falsing.  first target out was a rusty blob, then scanned again for the high tone, which was still registering, got the coin out, and re-scanned and was still getting another iron object in the hole.
      all you folks, have fun digging!

• By Dan(NM)
      I took a day trip today, drove about an hour to go hunt a park that I've been to before. Took me a little while to finally hit a nice hot spot. The area was about 15 ft wide and 30 ft long. Every signal was either a deep wheat or a silver. As you can see my ratio of keepers to clad was extremely high today. I'm running the Equinox 800 in my cherry-picking mode, only digging anything from zinc's up. The barber quarter was an oddball, this park wasn't founded until 1925. I hunted for about six and a half hours.

• By Dan(NM)
      The dust had barely settled from yesterday's hunt. Originally I had planned to do a little water hunting, then I changed my mind and decided to go back to the park I hunted yesterday. On the road, I scrapped that plan and drove an extra an hour to another park. I'm glad I did because it paid off with another multi-silver day. When I wheeled in, I saw 2 other guys already hunting. I went across the road to stay out of their territory.
         The third hole of the day was a mini wheat spill consisting of three Wheaties at the 8-9" range. I asked the 2 guys that were taking a break from hunting if they wanted to see how deep the coins were. I had left one in at 8" that was sticking out of the side of the hole to show them. They both explained to me that they don't want to see or dig a deep coin 🙂 If they can't pick up the coin with their pinpointer, they leave it,  volume clad hunters only is what they told me. To each their own I guess, which explains why I'm not hitting many coins in these parks, which is fine with me, it just slows me down. 
      After digging 8 or 9 deep wheats, I'm using a Nox 800, I decided to set Park 1-2 and Field 1-2 up with all the same exact settings to see which mode hit the best, Park 1 and Field 1 did the best, although Field 1 wasn't as crisp and sharp tone wise. Park 2 and Field 2 degraded the signal to a point I wouldn't have stopped to investigate the hit. 
      I ran the Nox in my cherry piking mode:
      Park 1
      Recovery speed 3
      Iron Bias 0
      Sens  23
      2 tones
      No disc-wide open
      Tone bin set at 21
      Very slow sweep
      These small town parks are producing in a way I didn't expect. I don't do much research, I google the town or ask someone where the oldest park in town is and go from there. So far, so good, 42 silver coins, 4 silver rings and over a 100 wheats in the last 2 weeks doing this.

• By GB_Amateur
      For a long time I've wondered what is a good way to search inside buildings for metal valuables hidden in walls, floors, masonry (such as fireplaces), etc.  Given most wooden structures are riddled with nails, it seems like a tough task even compared to nail infested soil.  Is discrimination key?  Has a manufacturer ever made a detector specifically for this task?  Is anyone aware of mods that can be made to standard detectors to make them easier to use in these conditions (particularly mounting of coil and control unit to be more manageable in tight locations)?
    • By F350Platinum
      The corn is harvested here, time to get out in the fields. I've been wanting to search this particular field right next to an old farmhouse where I dug some silver coins. Right up next to it I dug one IHP and a colonial button, figured there might be more in the field.
      I'd say it's about a half acre, don't know why they bother but a field is a field I guess. Yesterday was one of the last hot and humid days we can expect here, so why not be miserable for a few hours? 😀
      The end of the field the photo was taken from is where I dug the coin and button, as you get closer to the hunt club building it's mostly beer cans. They haven't tilled this field and they probably won't, most farming here is "no till". They may run a bush hog around the edges but that's it.
      Used the 10x5 coil as usual, it's especially good in corn stalks. I found that swinging it ahead of me on an angle is better than back and forth. I made a short video but don't see .MP4 uploads.
      In 4 hours I got some clad, one coin spill gave me a quarter, nickel, and Zincoln. The other quarter was up near the hunt club. On the "good" end of the field I dug a 1944 wheat. Near that I got a 25, thought I'd get another IHP but to my surprise I dug an old brass ring. I know it's a ring because of the crown on the metal, doubt it's a compression fitting ring. Sad there was no makers' mark or inscription, but I don't want to scrape all the crud off. As it is something put a nick in it. It does not bend.

Here is a closeup of the ring:
      And here is the trash, one iron relic looked interesting, kind of a hook with a loop. I threw all the beer cans and slaw in the handy dumpster. The shell is a high power .17 caliber.
      Not sure how old the ring is, so I thought I'd post it.