1 hour ago, rod-pa said:

F350, I have started some rather extreme attempts to remove metal and get below the pitting to see what can be seen on some of my really bad large cents.  I'll let you know if any of them work.

Thanks! I'm afraid though that if the coin was worn before it was lost it isn't going to reveal much. They really "pinched" 'em back then. 

These coins were 10.89g initially, mine is 8.4 which indicates extreme wear along with corrosion. The only thing I can make out is the rim. There is a solution that brings out dates on Buffalo nickels but it damages the coin and only lasts a while. Haven't seen much for copper.

• Like 2

Update: the heavily corroded token turned out to be a Franklin Pierce Cracker Jack Mystery Club token ca. 1933-36. Here is info:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia117741.html

606367062e6514.37179356-360.jpg.6b7412901c2cfdead3118e9eabb636b3.jpg606367075c12a9.86198513-360.jpg.c3eeb3cbb6c14537105dd1562e3b2e42.jpg

Got it cleaned up just enough to identify.

20210604_205610.jpg

20210604_205623.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting find! Too bad it wasn't like the one above, in condition! 

The last two aluminum tokens I found were in salt water mud, about 8 inches down! And had to be more modern, because they were in decent shape! They were a few feet from one another, and had the Ten Commandments on them! 😇👍👍

• Like 1

Just now, Joe D. said:

Interesting find! Too bad it wasn't like the one above, in condition! 

The last two aluminum tokens I found were in salt water mud, about 8 inches down! And had to be more modern, because they were in decent shape! They were a few feet from one another, and had the Ten Commandments on them! 😇👍👍

Thanks Joe, the Numista rareness rating is a 95, 100 being the rarest. It was tough getting enough corrosion off of it to identify it. "Poor Pierce" indeed 😀 I wonder how many of them were used as slugs in soda machines... It's the same size as a quarter.

• Like 1

I saw the 95%!! And bookmarked the website for reference! Thanks!! 

I'm outta likes for now, so👍👍

• Thanks 1