Finally A Big Nugget Caught On Film With The 6k

On 6/5/2021 at 1:33 AM, Norvic said:

Aye you fellows are in for a treat, I`ve got to agree with the user comments in that last vid the shaft lockdowns are a wee annoying, imagine the aftermarket fellows will come up with a better idea, but the depth/signal response in difficult/varying ground of the 6000 will blow you away.

You pay $8K for the 6000 and the shafts don't even lock properly ? That would be more than " a wee annoying " in my books, and quite frankly, not good enough ! 

How are they going to be after a few months of wear and tear  ??

Rick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If they don’t lock properly or the shaft wobbles I would send it in for warranty repair.  They are then covered again.  Wash, rinse and repeat until they get it right, but I thought that too with those locks like on the equinox.  I replaced with steveg’s locks those might work once we see the machine.

The locks to me are more a pro then a con, being able to rotate the coil for my rugged country is a pro, as is sliding them to shortest makes the 6k as easy as to backpack. Wee con is the top lock once extended is difficult to lock simply because the coil cable is fairly tight on the shaft as it needs be, hinders you getting a good grip on the shaft tightening nut.

Another wee con is on a number of occasions I've accidentally hit the off button putting the detector down to retrieve signal.

But the big pro is most importantly it sniffs out that yellow stuff with ease.

• Like 1

Hey AfreakofNature -

Well, when it comes to video's, someone will always have their criticism.  I couldn't tell you the number of "negative" comments I got over the years on my Youtube videos where I was hammering and chiseling nuggets from ancient caliche gravels and someone would say I planted the nugget there!  LOL  

I guess the bottom line, congrats on new GPX 6000 owners that gotten over gold nuggets already.  Hundreds, if not thousands of us here in the good ole' USA are still waiting ..... Yawn! 

I have a buddy in Africa right now giving me weekly reports.  Him and his family have a large placer operation with 30 locals working for them.  Most of the locals do all the hard labor and some detecting.  He said most of the gold is smaller, up to 3-4 Grams, so the GPX 6000 is doing really well.  He didn't discuss how much gold, nor did I ask.  However, he mentioned most of the ground has been hunted hard with VLF's (lots of Goldbug's), plenty of Counterfeit Minelab's, and some genuine Minelab GPX 4500's & 5000's.  They are finding gold that was missed. 

Rob

• Like 8

What's the deal with people putting tape all over the coil where they run their scoop over it? I'm seeing it on so many GPX 6000 photos and videos.  It was done to the coil in the second video posted here too, some sort of fashion trend 🙂

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, phrunt said:

What's the deal with people putting tape all over the coil where they run their scoop over it? I'm seeing it on so many GPX 6000 photos and videos.  It was done to the coil in the second video posted here too, some sort of fashion trend 🙂

It's because the plastic is soft and easily scratched. I've seen pictures on FB already of the top of coils being worn under the shaft mount from rubbing, and yet another user has reported that he has almost gone through a skid plate already ! 😳

Add that to shafts that won't lock properly, a speaker that is not very functional and clearly creates it's own EMI, and various other functions that are missing from previous GPX detectors, I would say not nearly good enough for a machine costing $8K, IMHO !

My ZED has never had a problem with any of this, and it is a first week release ( over 6 years old ) and done many thousands of hours ! PS its original skid plate is still intact !

Rick

• Haha 1

The plastic isn't soft IMO? The tape is there to prevent marking on their shiny new toys.

It is a high gloss finish on the coils & marks/scratches stand out over other matt or textured coil finishes I've owned. I haven't taped my GPX6000 coil but in the past have used a clear cover or tape on some coils to prevent marking. Tape would only be a bandaid solution to that amount of wear if it were occuring. Mine isn't wearing unduly & neither is the skidplate. I'm a coil scrubber too although I do go fairly lightly. 

Plenty of GPZ users attached perspex covers with velcro & tape to the tops of their coils to prevent marking too.

My GPX6000 shaft is also fine & the clamps are locking fine. Over a few hours they sometimes work loose & the shaft moves slightly but it's like a 20sec fix & away you go again. A big non issue on mine. 

The GPZ shaft clamps have also been known to fail too. Not good for a $10k detector IMHO?

Rick you seem to have your nose out of joint over a detector you repeatedly (on a few forums) say you have no interest in getting?

As a user I would say that it has the least amount of annoyances or minor issues of any detector I've owned SD/GP/GPX/SDC/GPZ/QED.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, AussieMatt said:

The plastic isn't soft IMO? The tape is there to prevent marking on their shiny new toys.

It is a high gloss finish on the coils & marks/scratches stand out over other matt or textured coil finishes I've owned. I haven't taped my GPX6000 coil but in the past have used a clear cover or tape on some coils to prevent marking. Tape would only be a bandaid solution to that amount of wear if it were occuring. Mine isn't wearing unduly & neither is the skidplate. I'm a coil scrubber too although I do go fairly lightly. 

Plenty of GPZ users attached perspex covers with velcro & tape to the tops of their coils to prevent marking too.

My GPX6000 shaft is also fine & the clamps are locking fine. Over a few hours they sometimes work loose & the shaft moves slightly but it's like a 20sec fix & away you go again. A big non issue on mine. 

The GPZ shaft clamps have also been known to fail too. Not good for a $10k detector IMHO?

Rick you seem to have your nose out of joint over a detector you repeatedly (on a few forums) say you have no interest in getting?

As a user I would say that it has the least amount of annoyances or minor issues of any detector I've owned SD/GP/GPX/SDC/GPZ/QED.

Matt,

I haven't " got my nose out of joint ". I WAS interested in the new 6000, like all new Minelab releases, in the lead up to release, but once I started to see various videos, FB and forum comments, circuit boards that haven't been clipped together requiring them to be sent back to Minelab, plus numerous tests from a highly experienced operator who sold his after a week, I became hesitant to part with $8K. Now I just point blank refuse to lay down that sort of money on something that has so many flaws / shortcomings. 

Your shafts are already working loose after a couple of hours ? Lets see how they are going in a few months, or a couple of years ! Seriously Matt, after all these years of R & D and testing from experienced guys like JP, you would hope that it would come to market with all these problems sorted, but apparently not ! 

It is the only Minelab model that I have not bought in 20 years of prospecting. I just can not see the justification for that sort of price tag, given all the negatives I have seen across the forums etc . Bear in mind too that I live where I could have it paid off in no time !

These forum comments are not mine, they are actual USERS who are experiencing these issues and voicing their concerns !

Rick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Your shafts are already working loose after a couple of hours ? Lets see how they are going in a few months, or a couple of years !"

No they sometimes do & not to the point of flopping around loose. It might rotate slightly like 5-10deg. if that. Mine doesn't flop around or anything like that. It's barely noticeable & only minorly annoys me because the user interface isn't symmetrical with the coil (overly attentive to detail disorder I think).

Norvic has it nailed in that it's more the top clamp which can be difficult to fully tighten due to the coil lead. I'm sure we'll work it out.

Mate I wouldn't put much stock into the "user" reports thus far. Long way to go yet. I can remember experienced prospectors who shit canned the SDC & GPZ too! One took a SDC for a test run & complained that a $4k machine had no noise cancel - should've read the manual first. The list can go on & on. Many sold the GPZ quickly!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1