Finally A Big Nugget Caught On Film With The 6k

The shaft of my GPZ also slightly rotates with upper clamp fully locked. But it is only a minor issue. Every now and then I notice that the control box is not perfectly aligned with the coil. Then I just quickly adjusted it back. No big deal.

• Like 4

Hey Gold Catcher,

My GPZ does the same, over time it will get a little more worn, but not too big of a deal.  After about 3 years and knock on wood for the lower not breaking, I replaced it with a new and it helped.  As the shaft gets more and more worn and continues to rotate around, then re-adjusted, then rotate ...... it will wear.  

Just my thoughts, but minor compared to some of the issues I hear on other stuff.

Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2021 at 8:16 PM, Gold Catcher said:

The shaft of my GPZ also slightly rotates with upper clamp fully locked. But it is only a minor issue. Every now and then I notice that the control box is not perfectly aligned with the coil. Then I just quickly adjusted it back. No big deal.

Wonder if something sticky like powdered rosin (music store) or a spilled coke would help? Is the lock losing its grip due to the shaft getting glazed and too smooth under the lock through lots of use?

• 2 weeks later...

Bigger nuggets maybe 6 inches down, but what I found interesting is the low/hi sound on most of them, not the “typical” hi/low.  They never show the gold cleaned up so I’m kind of curious if these are slugs or spongy. Take it for what it’s worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The guy using the 6000 needed one of these set to 3 minutes for his auto tune button, an auto auto tune 😉  It got quite bad on the second target, I didn't continue watching after that.   The speaker volume was much louder on the GPX than the WM12 was so it made it difficult.  I wonder if the GPX was using the external speaker causing the EMI issues on that second target.

The 6000 seems good on small targets.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/30/2021 at 8:47 AM, phrunt said:

The guy using the 6000 needed one of these set to 3 minutes for his auto tune button, an auto auto tune 😉  It got quite bad on the second target, I didn't continue watching after that.   The speaker volume was much louder on the GPX than the WM12 was so it made it difficult.  I wonder if the GPX was using the external speaker causing the EMI issues on that second target.

I'd say it was a combination of turning on/off a lot (not setting for continuous detecting), using the camera + when it got bad on the second target was after you can quite audibly hear the ground balance get thrown out by the pick when digging & then again when he moved it pretty close by the coil (approx. 8:40 to 8:43). Les never re-balances/settles the machine down after that happens.

I used mine with the GPX11 mono (& found 2 x small bits) on an old patch under + near some LV powerlines. Last time out there I didn't get anything with the SDC. Previous GPX models have been all but unusable here with a mono coil unless right away from the lines. I'd originally gone there thinking I'd try the GPX14 DD under the lines but didn't need it.

The ground, which is red/orange clay + scattered ironstone & basalt in places, was also heavily saturated to the point of water ingress into some deeper holes while digging.

The GPX6000 ran great there & I only noise cancelled 5-6 times in 4hrs (mostly after moving back towards the lines it needed another cancel).

Mostly used auto or auto+ but did drop back to manual 5 in one of the more saturated areas due to ground noise & it was also directly under the powerlines. It then ran nicely.

P.s. Les has been using a Bluetooth aptX LL receiver to his Steelphase enhancer on the GPX6000 & says the set up works well but I'm assuming it was the built in speaker used in the video?

• Like 2

The automatic button thing was a bit of a joke 🙂

It's good to hear it can detect near power lines quiet well, especially while sticking with the Mono coil. 

If it was the built in speaker in the video it sure pumps out the volume, sounded really loud, pretty impressive, a lot like the Gold Monster speaker I guess, that thing roars.

• Like 1