Detector Manufacturers Making Updatable Detectors Should Imo Allow Their Detector Models To Accommodate Multiple Software Versions Or At Least Multiple Subsets Of Version Updates

Don’t know any other better subforum to place this.

When manufacturers design make sure platform can allow at least 2 software versions or at the very least allow what I call both newer version update (whole) and a older subset (portion of older version) to be used.  

Why?

Makes testing easier if and when a newer version is designed and requires pre release testing in the field for validation.   Would allow users after version release to use different versions and gain first hand feedback of the benefits or lack thereof of different versions or version subset(s).  Case in point.  Notice Minelab left old iron bias to be user selected when they released newer version with iron bias F2 option.  

So in a nutshell this allows the detector versions ( or version subset) to be compared to the themselves in the field by the user.

Xp should have done this too.  They should have designed Deus imo where at least  2 complete version allowed to be uploaded to unit.

Notice the later released Ace Apex.  Garrett should have allowed on it too.  

Don’t know what added production cost this would cause.  Hopefully not much.

• Like 5

• Tnsharpshooter changed the title to Detector Manufacturers Making Updatable Detectors Should Imo Allow Their Detector Models To Accommodate Multiple Software Versions Or At Least Multiple Subsets Of Version Updates

Great point, OP and I agree.

I'm always skeptical of any software updates, whether it's for a computer, video game console or a metal detector. So I haven't even considered updating my Vanquish 540 due to the assumption that the update will make it worse. But if there was a way to undo it, or easily swap b/w the two software versions, I'd definitely be implementing the updates.

A similar thing has happened on computer motherboards for some time with a backup bios chip in case of failure during flashing or corruption.  You can normally hold down a set combination of keys upon power up to invoke the backup bios or the boot block senses corruption (CRC errors) and boots automatically from the second firmware.  The same sort of thing could be implemented in a detector, it would be best to have two eeproms for the firmware and a button combination to switch between them on power on, even if it is just holding the power button for longer to enable the second firmware version.  The flash tool would just need to have an option to pick which flash slot to put the firmware onto so you can have multiple versions.  With old Xbox's we used to put on a 2mb flash rom divided into four 512k memory banks to run four different firmware versions, and this was as a modification as some game backups worked better on some firmware versions.  

All this stuff is possible, the manufacturer just has to see some value or reason in doing it.  Sometimes it's for their own protection for example if a flash fails or is interrupted by the user or power failure the product itself can be rendered useless without a backup firmware option to recover from.

• Like 6

With my experience from DOS on wards, Simon you are on the ball. Security mite be a problem, but flexibility is more important for the customer.