Meteorite Or Meteorwrong? ID Help Needed (fusion Crust Possibly Present)

Hi!

This rock was recently discovered in the garden after deep digging. It has a blackened outer surface which appears to resemble a fusion crust, and is mostly stone with iron streaks throughout and rusting present. It weighs 38 lbs/17.2 kg, and is roughly 27cm long and 15 cm wide. The rock is rounded on one side and has a straight(ish) edge on the other where it likely broke off from a larger rock (I have dug further and can't find anything else). The rock is lightly attracted to a reasonably strong magnet but the attraction is not strong enough for it to stick to the rock independently. I have attached pictures here. Any help identifying it would be appreciated, though I appreciate it's unlikely to be a meteorite as these are very rare findings!

To summarise:

Is a magnet attracted to it? Yes (light attraction)

Is it heavier than other rocks ? Yes

Does it have a dark, thin crust on the outside? Yes

Does it have a lighter color on the inside? Yes

IMG_20210605_161536667.jpg

IMG_20210605_161548.jpg

IMG_20210605_161532.jpg

It definitely looks different. File a spot on it and see if it sparkles. Send photos to a University that can id meteorites. Interesting find.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Look at a few more meteorites on other postings on this thread.

You can also look at this one.  That will show you some real fusion crust.  The surface burns and melts.

http://www.tucsonmeteorites.com/mpodmain.asp?DD=06/17/2021

• Like 1