XP Deus And XP Orx

On 6/6/2021 at 3:14 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

The XP Orx has been taking quite a bit of heat on this XP detector forum lately. Indirectly, the same can be said for the XP Deus.

All I want to say here is that no one detector can do it all the best in all detecting situations. All VLF detectors including the Deus and the Orx are a compromise between speed and depth, accurate numerical target ID and accurate tone ID, simultaneous multi frequency and single or selectable single frequency, waterproof or not, great ergonomics and ergonomics better suited for a bionic human.

Personally, I would not go on a relic hunt without a Deus or Orx. The same goes for a gold prospecting trip.

I know some people (I am not yet one of them) that are absolute masters with a Deus in aluminum trashed parks when coin and jewelry hunting.

All in all, one of these two XP detectors are tools I will never be totally without. I have struggled with them, had some of my best and worst detecting experiences with them, sold several of them saying "never again" only to buy another after realizing what I was missing..........

Using them in the best ways that suit my hunting style and for my hunting situations, while knowing and accepting their great qualities and limitations has been the key to making them work for me when I need them the most.

I've recently posted a few questions about my Orx that I hope are not being taken as bashing the Orx. I would say normally I mostly do beach detecting, then parks, then relic. I'd rather relic be first or second but It's hard to find places in my area. Right now I'm getting in some relic hunting on a jobsite we are on but that job is about to end. I agree with your relic comment, the Orx is working perfectly for me in that regards. I really hope I can master it in a park too but our parks a very trashy, have a feeling I'm going to find a truckload of foil, pulltabs, and bottlecaps with the Orx. (It sure does love foil). When I first acquired my Orx, I wasn't sure if I'd like it and keep it. After using it in a few situations, I'd only get rid of it if I switched to the Deus. Even then, I'd try and find a way to keep both.

• Like 5

I had a Deus first, decided I didn't need all the bells and whistles and got the ORX when it came out and really enjoyed using it for relics and especially gold prospecting. I too tried it at a saltwater beach on the southeast US coast. It did okay and I knew how to use the salt mode already. Eventually I missed the Deus and swapped the ORX for a new Deus controller and headphones. Oh well, truth be told, I love and hate these detectors almost simultaneously........not bashing XP either I just know from my experience it has not been love at first sight like it has with some other detectors which is mostly on me and not XP. I always had the same reaction to Algebra and Calculus but I learned to appreciate and enjoy them eventually.

• Like 4

On 6/6/2021 at 3:14 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

The XP Orx has been taking quite a bit of heat on this XP detector forum lately

No disrespect Jeff, I love your experience, and willingness to share tons of great information! Thank You!👍👍

But I think the above is a bit of an overstatement, if it is referring to Kac's issue with "blanking" on a particular piece of metal! Or a few other people's "issues" with the machine!

I did not see any bashing of either machine; unless I missed something! And I have no stake in either machine! I am miles behind you, and many others  "knowledge wise" on the forum!  But even with the detectors I own, I would not second guess someone else's experiences so quickly, without the exact machine and conditions to repeat for myself! And even then, I think that it could have been responded to a little differently!

You yourself said directly above, that, among other things, you have a love/hate relationship with both machines! So why are someone else's experiences so easily discounted, or not taken for face value of a new user that may have found what could be an interesting anomaly, that you just may have been automatically dealing with on your own machine? 

This is not a challenge, or attack on you! But it is merely an observation I made, after reading, and rereading the whole exchange, over a few days, trying to soak up all the great information!  If I misread the situation, I apologize ahead of time!  But it makes it harder for someone at my level, to want to solicit advice, or post my issues with any detector here, for "fear" of judgement, instead of instruction, or help with solving the problem; perceived or not!👍👍

• Like 2

I am not discounting anyone’s experience especially since I have had exactly the same experience as Kac has had with rusted tin and rusted thin flat iron sheeting. I just look at the experience differently and see it as the result of a deliberate design limitation by XP on the ORX just like it doesn’t have many other features that the Deus has. I don’t see this as an accidental design flaw, mistake or malfunction. I have experienced this “issue” with rusted tin and thin rusted flat iron sheeting for several years when gold prospecting using the Deus and ORX in its discrimination modes. Since Kac has brought it to XP’s attention, maybe they will update the ORX, maybe they won’t.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the clarification Jeff! Much appreciated!!

I guess they can be seen as the equivalent of the Nox 600-800; In that they would not want them to be too close to the same! It would  hurt their bottom line!

Keep up the good work!👍👍

• Like 2

Well, I just sold my Deus 5.2 and kept the ORX , I needed money for a bike, the 5.2 has a lot more adjustments, that can probably make a difference in the field, but what i like about the orx is is just as deep as the deus , and very simple and capable , and i like the inexpensive headphones for the orx. Vs the deus ,which i cant seem to find headphones for less than 250.00 WTH.  so the ORX has all the basics, and I am good with that , and i like the Gold 1 and all it can do ,so in the end its the ORX i did not sell

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kaolin washer said:

which i cant seem to find headphones for less than 250.00 WTH

Because unlike ORX, with Deus you can detect with just the coil and the wireless phones with no need for the controller remote.   The Deus wireless phones are more than just audio phones, they actually control the coil.

• Like 4

I stumbled on the issue I had and being new to the machine I brought it to attention here thinking it was something I was doing wrong or missed a setting that would help.

Knowing the capabilities of all my machines is key to know which works best and where. Every machine has their annoyances and limitations. I still use the Orx, find it a blast to use. If I am targeting a specific area that has more critical needs I have machines for those areas but for the most part the feather light machine makes detecting fun and the day enjoyable.

• Like 5