Ground Balancing On Wet Sand Issues?

Kelpike

I tried running my Orx on the wet sand today and could not get it to quiet down, it was very chatty. I tried coin fast and gold 1. I had to run "Salt" mode but every time I tried to ground balance the machine would scream just like in Gary's video and a id number would come up. No matter how many times I tried, it kept doing it. I tried different programs and settings and just couldn't quiet it down completely.  I eventually got it as quiet as possible using "relic" settings I think someone posted on this forum. It was Gold 1, freq called for 27.6 KHZ but it would only go to 24.5 or something like that. React at 2.5, IAR at 3, sens 90. I gave up on trying to ground balance it. Very time consuming and frustrating to say the least. Sorry this was so long.

• Like 5

I got mine quiet using 13khz on gold 2 and reacitvity at 2.5. Make sure you have it in salt mode by holding down the hash button (top right one) for 3 sec. To turn off salt mode just hit the same button for 3 sec again.

You may have to drop the sensitivity but I was able to run at 90 without any issues.

Lower frequencies do better in the salt than high frequencies.

• Like 4

On 6/6/2021 at 6:52 PM, Kelpike said:

I tried running my Orx on the wet sand today and could not get it to quiet down, it was very chatty. I tried coin fast and gold 1. I had to run "Salt" mode but every time I tried to ground balance the machine would scream just like in Gary's video and a id number would come up. No matter how many times I tried, it kept doing it. I tried different programs and settings and just couldn't quiet it down completely.  I eventually got it as quiet as possible using "relic" settings I think someone posted on this forum. It was Gold 1, freq called for 27.6 KHZ but it would only go to 24.5 or something like that. React at 2.5, IAR at 3, sens 90. I gave up on trying to ground balance it. Very time consuming and frustrating to say the least. Sorry this was so long.

The ORX has a learning curve as demonstrated by all of these recent posts about perceived issues and problems. Gary’s outstanding videos really helped and I got the ORX down pretty well after 500 or so hours. Now the Deus, I’ve watched all of Gary’s videos multiple times, had plenty of help and after more than 1000 hours and many stops and restarts, I am still a rank beginner! The Deus is definitely going to take me the rest of my detecting life to master.

• Like 1

I am not a beach hunter but from the feedbacks that I have from local sellers/users , very few people use Deus/ Orx for salt beach hunting over here . They mainly use the MLs Equinox, Elite etc  which are known here as killers for beach hunting.. This is probably why XP is currently developping a MF machine btw ..

The ORX and Deus are rather references for inland hunting over here , especially in iron trashed areas ..

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 6:52 PM, Kelpike said:

On 6/6/2021 at 8:25 PM, kac said:

I got mine quiet using 13khz on gold 2 and reacitvity at 2.5. Make sure you have it in salt mode by holding down the hash button (top right one) for 3 sec. To turn off salt mode just hit the same button for 3 sec again.

You may have to drop the sensitivity but I was able to run at 90 without any issues.

Lower frequencies do better in the salt than high frequencies.

My second day on the beach I tried gold 2 and didn't see 13 khz so I switched to gold 1 again and still didn't see 13 so I settled for 14 something. I forgot that I can change the range on each frequency. I did however use the rest of the settings you suggested. Was still a little noisy but bearable. I guess that beach is very mineralized. I actually dug a couple "hot rocks" that sounded pretty good, barely any trash and one crusted penny that's not even spendable. I guess I can't find what's not there.

It was acting just like Gary's in the video above when he switched to gold mode but he was able to quiet his down much easier than I could. I was able to get it useable though.

On 6/6/2021 at 10:08 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

The ORX has a learning curve as demonstrated by all of these recent posts about perceived issues and problems. Gary’s outstanding videos really helped and I got the ORX down pretty well after 500 or so hours. Now the Deus, I’ve watched all of Gary’s videos multiple times, had plenty of help from Chase and TNSS (David, thank you) and after more than 1000 hours and many stops and restarts, I am still a rank beginner! The Deus is definitely going to take me the rest of my detecting life to master.

Yea the Orx is still very new to me. Gary's videos, you, and a few others on this site have been very helpful to me trying to learn the Orx. I do love it. Reading your 1000 hour comment makes me wonder why I would want to torture myself, (I'm a slow learner), but I still do want to try a Deus at some point. 

On 6/7/2021 at 12:31 AM, palzynski said:

I am not a beach hunter but from the feedbacks that I have from local sellers/users , very few people use Deus/ Orx for salt beach hunting over here . They mainly use the MLs Equinox, Elite etc  which are known here as killers for beach hunting.. This is probably why XP is currently developping a MF machine btw ..

The ORX and Deus are rather references for inland hunting over here , especially in iron trashed areas ..

I did recently acquire an Etrac that I could use on the beach. I just really wanted the Orx to become my beach detector due to how light it is and it's portability. Can't wait to see an XP MF machine, that would be awesome.

• Like 3

On the Orx switch to freqency mode hitting the top middle button and same button click to the frequency option.

The -+ buttons will change major frequencies in 3 ranges and the top left button will access the subset frequency offsets of those.

13.3khz worked well but with past experience anything between that and high teens will work fine in the salt. Frequencies below that and especially lower than 5khz start to be very weak on gold.

I wouldn't use the Orx in the surf especially the HF coil with the battery in the shaft and not really sealed but it can make a nice towel line and cut hunter.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kac said:

On the Orx switch to freqency mode hitting the top middle button and same button click to the frequency option.

The -+ buttons will change major frequencies in 3 ranges and the top left button will access the subset frequency offsets of those.

13.3khz worked well but with past experience anything between that and high teens will work fine in the salt. Frequencies below that and especially lower than 5khz start to be very weak on gold.

I wouldn't use the Orx in the surf especially the HF coil with the battery in the shaft and not really sealed but it can make a nice towel line and cut hunter.

I will have to try out different frequencies. I do have the 9 X35 coil and I did purchase the XP underwater kit but I'm very reluctant to even attempt to get in the water seeing the issues I've been having in the wet sand. 

• Like 1

X35 should do well in the salt. Typically with IB machines that have a salt mode they tend to be stable in the low teens and lower for frequencies and ground balance can run as low as 00, wet sand tends to be mid way to 10 on average between my different machines. The XP is not any different. If your in the wet sand and your ground balance is high then lower the frequency and you may have to manually adjust to eliminate falsing.

One thing that will help is work along the shore and not up and down (wet, dry wet) so you don't have to fiddle so much with ground balance.

Water proof kit you should be ok, make sure you rinse the machine off good after.