Testing Various Detectors On Some Nz $1 Coins In My Front Yard

Ok, I have sorted out the CTX settings, it's now the ONLY detector I own that can hit the second deepest 8"+ coin using a small coil and ID it as anything else other than iron, in fact the CTX is giving me a certain dig me target ID that's indicating the coin is what it is.  It's getting a bit of EMI today I have no idea why but the CTX is struggling more with EMI than normal but that's not stopping it giving me a good ID.

12 38 is the ID in an air test of the coin, and I'm regularly seeing 11 38 and and other numbers around it's number revealing the coin, with every other detector the ID's are dragged right down and mostly into iron when using a smaller coil, to me this means if I encounter an even deeper coin using the 11" or even 17x13" the CTX will perform the same, giving more outright Target ID info on these even deeper coins in my soil conditions.  This might already explain why I've been finding deep silver coins in ground I've already done to death.  Keep in mind in my front yard I have the CTX gain down quite low, away from the EMI I can crank that up and get even more depth where as I'd tried the other detectors on maximum gain, no need with the CTX it's hitting the coin on a much lower gain.

I might record this video again when EMI calms down, maybe it's because it's cold and peak power usage time with my house right near the transmission lines that EMI is bad this morning, I should have filmed it yesterday when I worked it out as the EMI was very calm then.

Lovin' it.

• Like 3

Thats a really good signal at that depth. You have a lot of cell towers in the area? Saw a video on youtube with a guy testing machines in what he called emi park and mentioned as the cell traffic gets busier during certain times of the day the emi gets worse.

For kicks if that is the case try flicking the machine on in the middle of the night and see if it is calmer.

• Like 1

Simon nice to see you having fun with the CTX...its a fun detector and great for coins. I usually run vol gain full out or close to it...prefer hunting in combined mode and usually hunt in ferrous coin. Recovery deep on...I have a couple programs that I downloaded years ago...from find mall and just use those. I still have not fully explored all the settings on the CTX because the settings I use  work for me. "Gonehunting", "Docs ferrous coin" and "Indians and Silver" I do find you loose ability to hear deeper targets and using the disc in combined mode so I will constantly switch the disc screen on and off checking iffy deep targets. The small coil gives great depth. 

strick

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, It's good to see the forum has returned after some prolonged downtime, in that time I purchased myself a Nokta Simplex+ WHP with the upgraded carbon lower shaft.

Kac, yup there is a cell tower very close to where I am doing these tests, only about 350 feet away.

I've had a bit of a tinker with it, love the build quality and features, easy to use and feels nice on my arm.  The detector performance itself reminds me a whole lot of the Teknetics T2, in fact the performance seems very similar.  The downside to that is the target ID's are just as jumpy as the T2, this is with the standard 11" Coil on it, I doubt I'm going to use it often enough to waste the money buying an aftermarket coil for it although one of the reasons I wanted to buy it is because Detech make the Ultimate coil for it and Nel are making coils for it, I last spoke to a guy at Nel a week ago and he said the Simplex range of coils would be released in a week, that's still not happened but obviously they're not too far away now.  It is very tempting to get a better coil for it but I just know I'll likely rarely ever use it when I have much better other detectors.

I filmed a video going over the same NZ $1 coins as I did with the previous detectors, even on the 6" $1 coin the Simplex can't get a stable ID, the air test ID is 69 and it seems to bounce between 68 and 74 on it, I guess to some people that'd be acceptable and considered stable but for me with the likes of the Equinox or Vanquish that will bang on it with almost a solid 21 every swing (21 being the air test number) it makes it difficult to think that's stable but the real problem is the deeper coin, which is the normal depth I find coins around here. 

When you go to the 8" $1 coin it drags the number right down to a very unstable 18 to 44 or so when the ID should be 69 and again on the Vanquish and Equinox it is the correct 21 ID for that coin, and very stable.   This is what the T2 does also, very similar results, it almost feels like the Simplex and T2 are built off the same brains as they behave so similar in general, not just with these test coins 🙂

Anyway, here is the video, I tried on the 2.76 and 2.77 firmware as a bit of debate seems to be going on which is best for holding a target ID on deeper coins.

Unfortunately it's difficult for me to like the performance of the Simplex in my soils on deeper coins and it's the same reason I don't really use my T2, I love the build quality and features of the Simplex and the vibration is a bit of a novelty that water hunters may like but the performance for someone like me that hunts in spots I have to rely heavily on target ID's to dig as few holes as possible it's just not good enough, even the Ace 300i holds more stable ID's and I'd prefer to use it for this task.

This isn't to say the Simpex isn't any good, for people that don't care about stable ID's it's great, does the job nicely and the build quality is fantastic especially with the Carbon lower shaft to get rid of the shaft problem people have talked about, I haven't used the wireless headphones, I doubt I ever will but got them just in case.

• Like 4

On 6/22/2021 at 2:08 AM, strick said:

Simon nice to see you having fun with the CTX...its a fun detector and great for coins. I usually run vol gain full out or close to it...prefer hunting in combined mode and usually hunt in ferrous coin. Recovery deep on...I have a couple programs that I downloaded years ago...from find mall and just use those. I still have not fully explored all the settings on the CTX because the settings I use  work for me. "Gonehunting", "Docs ferrous coin" and "Indians and Silver" I do find you loose ability to hear deeper targets and using the disc in combined mode so I will constantly switch the disc screen on and off checking iffy deep targets. The small coil gives great depth. 

strick

Thanks strick, the CTX is rapidly becoming my favourite coin detector, I'm far more confident on the Vanquish and Nox though and the CTX feels a bit alien at the moment, I've seen what it can do and it does it well, it's amazing how deep the little 6" coil is on it, leaves the other detectors in the dust.

I've got the 17x12" for it which will be the coil I intend to use for general hunting as my areas are mostly very low trash.  I will have to try find your coin programs and give them a go as at the moment I'm just adjusting the default settings to suit me, being mild soil as always I can crank it right up and I've just tweaked my settings to give me the best ID on deep coins, rarely are any decent coins shallow here, so depth with ID is something I love about the CTX, the Nox and Vanquish are obviously good for this too, they're incredible detectors and I'm just as happy using any of the three on my coin hunts.

An Etrac has popped up for sale near me for very cheap, It's very tempting to buy it too as it has aftermarket coil support now I've realized the power of FBS detectors.

• 3 weeks later...

Great information on a large range of detectors,have you done a comparative test between the Nox800 and the Anfibio Multi as I have both?

Still haven’t made my mind which is best for coins,both seem to be similar in depth with the Anfibio way better in build quality. I think you may live here in Marlborough too, if so you are welcome to borrow mine to do a comparison test between the two if you are interested.

47 minutes ago, Kiwi RU said:

Great information on a large range of detectors,have you done a comparative test between the Nox800 and the Anfibio Multi as I have both?

Still haven’t made my mind which is best for coins,both seem to be similar in depth with the Anfibio way better in build quality. I think you may live here in Marlborough too, if so you are welcome to borrow mine to do a comparison test between the two if you are interested.

Hi, Thanks, I've never used any of the Nokta detectors except for my recent acquisition of the Simplex, Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near you, I live in the deep south.   I'm not surprised at all to hear of the Anfibio being better build quality than the Nox as Nokta seem to build really nice quality detectors, I've basically forgotten about the factory build quality of my Nox, the only part of it that's original is the control pod and on occasion the coil 🙂 Everything else is aftermarket.    I understand they made it that way to give us the performance at the price point that shook up the industry while maintaining their healthy profits and they achieved that very well.

I don't think detectors like the Ace series and other lower end detectors get enough credit and get scoffed at by those that will only swing what is known as high end detectors, in the right conditions they're very capable detectors and in my case if I didn't have the other detectors I could have found a large majority of these coins pictured below mostly found with the Nox and Vanquish with nothing more than my Ace 300, probably all of them.  These were all found in one quite small area and it's only probably half of them, I never did take a total photo when I was finished.

2109384817_TotalfromFootballField24-9-19.thumb.jpg.c0792aae63b431ff4b7dc5d3dadfb10a.jpg

It's good to hear your Anfibio is competitive with your Nox for coins in your hunting area, I'm not surprised by that one bit, the main benefit I'm seeing to the Multi-IQ detectors is the target ID reliability, for overall detection with the detector actually seeing the target the size of the coil dictates more how well I'd do than which detector I am using.

• Like 3

Hi got agree with you about the Nox,like you only the pod and coil are original on my Nox as well which I purchased imainly for its gold ability’s. Have had Nokta Racer 1&2, Impact and now the Anfibio,all well built and have dug a lot of silver coins with them and  half sov a lot of which come from the Deep South which we visit at least yearly in our camper,would probably heading that way now except for Covid,hopefully we will get away soon.

• Like 2