Civil War Battlefield Hunt - Hoover Boys Video

• Tnsharpshooter changed the title to Civil War Battlefield Hunt - Hoover Boys Video

This group got me further into detecting for the most part, what they find is very similar to what I dig, albeit more. They aren't too far away. I wouldn't know what some of the things I dig are without them. Most of the sites they dig are more Colonial than Civil War. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By F350Platinum
      I'm camping in NC this week, a new campground that is on a remote island in the Currituck area. It's really an old campground that got a facelift from a big company. Did a ton of research (history, maps, aerials) before coming, they implied on the phone that metal detecting was ok here.
      Talked to some folks after scouting the place, it's over 400 acres of woods, marsh and shoreline that really doesn't have a beach except for about 50 feet at the end of a bulkhead. Got permission to pretty much do what I want from the management, really nice people. They pointed me to where an old farmhouse once stood:
      I brought my less intimidating shovel and promised to show them what I found. This place has been hunted by some YouTube personalities, I'm going to find their video if I can. The ground is similar to my landing back home and cuts like butter.
      Got pretty much skunked at the farmhouse in the 2 hours I was there, had to put on 100% Deet to keep the deer flies, mosquitoes, black flies and midges off me. The not so smelly stuff wasn't working.
      My trash was what I expected for the most part, can slaw, some brass, steel and other aluminum bits. Strange was the lack of much iron here. Everything was coming up in the 10-36 range! I was in all metal. Maybe I was just ignoring the iron.
      Got an "O" from either a Ford or Oldsmobile.
      Managed to dig 3 Zincolns, all 70s from when they said the house was pulled down. Odd too that they were all ID'ing from 22-26!
      Going to hunt the "beach" and may go in the water along the bulkhead. I'll probably go back to the farmhouse area if it gets a bit cooler.
    • By Goldpick
      I have been progressively working a Victorian era house site over the last week or so with the Deus and 9" HF coil, previously it had been detected with my Explorer SE Pro several years back, though obviously not thoroughly enough.  The oldest coin so far off the site was from 1862, though more desirable are the dog registration tags which are considered quite rare and fetch a decent price (not that I would ever sell them).  So far only one silver, an 1884 threepence.
      The soil here is also very sandy and drains well, leaving many of the finds in very good condition - some of the dog tags look like they were dropped yesterday and you can achieve some pretty good depths even with the 9" coil fitted.  Hope you enjoy the pics.

• By strick
      Once in a while I like to hit an old WW2 base near me...nothing left to indicate it was there mostly built over with houses but if you know were to look you can get some interesting finds..I needed to detect for a couple hours last weekend for therapeutic reasons...and I was about to come home with only the 1940 wheat penny then I found a small area on the side of a hill that was loaded with targets...
      strick 

• By F350Platinum
      Back from a few days away at a campground, almost got them to let me detect the lake beach and an old farm, but someone made a snap judgement and said "we don't want you digging". 😵 Oh well.
      Got a few hours in on the river, the tides weren't low at all so I stayed closer to shore. Couldn't get to the area where I found the Brown Bess buttplate, and really didn't find much of interest. I tried a lot of the suggestions I got such as digging negative numbers, one-way positives, and faint signals but pretty much got what I expected from this place:
      Iron, copper nails and screws, and junk. Went the other way up river and got fishing gear, and old boat copper plate. 😀

It's a beautiful place, I park my cart and walk 10 feet to the water. At high tide there's no beach, most low tides have about 3 feet. Once it was about 6 -10'. During the week I don't have to worry about boaters even in the summer, most of the boaters have weekend cottages. Today I saw a kayaker and one boat, but I wasn't in the river, I was on the landing.
      Dug a ton of junk but came away with two interesting relics before the deerflies got too troublesome.

Nice 1800s silver thimble, a 17/18. It is inscribed "Forget Me Not", a common gift for a woman in the Victorian era. Too bad it's a bit mangled.
      Got a 15/16, thought oh great, another pull tab, and dug this, it made my day:

1930s Cracker Jack Tootsietoy "Zephyr". 90 years and it still has its paint.
      You just never know what's out there.
    • By brogansown
      Specimens excluded, the photo represents a month's worth of Gold Bug 2 finds here in Eastern Oregon. My brother and I haven't done that well this spring with nuggets-lots of them, but my weight is only 5.7 grams, "So Far!"  But as you can see we do clean up the environment, as I am sure the rest of you do as well.  Maybe if I am able to afford a 6000, this will help the next hunt scheme.  Each placer has different types of trash and can provide those of us who operate Museums lots of areas of study. (I have a friend who is doing just that.) Those darn shotgun pellets are relatively recent and do disappoint at times.  Good luck out there guys and watch carefully-The Rattlesnakes and ticks are out.