Nox Battery Problem Solved!

40 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

you can stop shaking your head now Chase 😁

I am happy for you the batteries are available and compatible so you have a solution, still shaking my head that you wouldn’t try to contact ML to attempt to at least get a freebie battery, no down side.  Worst case you’d be right where you are now.  Plus your inquiry would provide valuable information to other forum members in Australia that own Equinoxes and are less comfortable with the eBay route (unless the eBay source is an official ML equipment dealer (?))

Not sure if it is the case in Australia, but in the USA, the ML warranty transfers to the new owner for second hand gear.  Even the oldest Equinox units were manufactured 3.5 years ago and are only just this year now coming out of warranty. 

Anyway, Erik, good luck on the replacement, should hopefully be smooth sailing from here. :smile:

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

shaking my head that you wouldn’t try to contact ML to attempt to at least get a freebie battery

You're absolutely right Chase, guess I took my local ML dealer on his word that to his knowledge no one, not even ML Support (Australia), were selling individual Equinox batteries.. I went to their homepage just to try anyway and got directed back to my local ML dealer for any enquiries regarding parts.. I should have explained this in my original post.. but at that point I thought it hopeless to call ML Support direct to see if I could score a freebie battery..

I also headed the advice of the British man in the Youtube video who tells you not to change the batteries yourself whilst the detector is still under warranty.. Instead he tells you to send it off to your nearest ML service centre/dealer.. Since I was dubious about my second-hand (sigh unseen, bought online, paper-less) detector still being under warranty and because I'd already voided any warranty by changing the batteries myself with another second-hand Nox (which I also pulled apart), I took another route from looking for ML freebies by taking a look on Ebay (which worked beyond hope, scoring two for the price of one).. As you say, it'll be smooth sailing from here.. 😁     

12 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

You're absolutely right Chase, guess I took my local ML dealer on his word that to his knowledge no one, not even ML Support (Australia), were selling individual Equinox batteries.. I went to their homepage just to try anyway and got directed back to my local ML dealer for any enquiries regarding parts.. I should have explained this in my original post.. but at that point I thought it hopeless to call ML Support direct to see if I could score a freebie battery..

I also headed the advice of the British man in the Youtube video who tells you not to change the batteries yourself whilst the detector is still under warranty.. Instead he tells you to send it off to your nearest ML service centre/dealer.. Since I was dubious about my second-hand (sigh unseen, bought online, paper-less) detector still being under warranty and because I'd already voided any warranty by changing the batteries myself with another second-hand Nox (which I also pulled apart), I took another route from looking for ML freebies by taking a look on Ebay (which worked beyond hope, scoring two for the price of one).. As you say, it'll be smooth sailing from here.. 😁     

Erik - thanks for taking the time to give such detailed background information.  I get it.  Sorry if I am coming across as a pompous arse, I was just trying to give you the best chance to get your problem resolved (perhaps for free/low cost) without having to take a chance with unverified 3rd party sources of the batteries/parts or soldering hacks.

Perhaps it would help if I gave you my perspective of why I was pushing so hard on you contacting ML support and making them say no.  In the US, there appears to be a subset of machines that are suffering from quality or design issues, especially in regards to watertight integrity.  There are at least two US DP forum members that I know of who have had to send machines into the US ML repair center multiple times for repair or wholesale replacement for various reasons.  ML is dutifully honoring their warranty obligations to the Customer.  Even on snapped armrests and other issues that may not be the fault of ML, there are few questions asked.  Well I have a question.  Why are these issues continually cropping up?  Why isn't ML addressing them with design improvements?  Instead they upped the price!  My point is that ML appears to be more than willing to keep customers happy and deal with their issues under a warranty repair even for borderline "not their fault" issues.  So I'm thinking here is an opportunity for you to take advantage of their willingness to be helpful and err on the side of the customer for getting work done under warranty.  BTW you have not voided the warranty simply by swapping batteries.  ML allows the customer to do the battery replacement themselves if they want to, they just encourage a service center do it to make sure it gets put back together properly because you are taking apart the watertight boundary (see the official instructions below).

Anyway, glad you got your hands on some of these batteries.  Good luck and I hope you have no issues swapping them out.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

Screenshot 2021-06-11 8.00.35 AM.png

Looks like the 2 batteries sizes are different on the pic above  ... Just an optical illusion ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, palzynski said:

Just an optical illusion ? 

I hope so Palzynski, since you pointed it out I've had another sleepless night! I'll let you know if one battery is shorter or not when they arrive.. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

I hope so Palzynski, since you pointed it out I've had another sleepless night! I'll let you know if one battery is shorter or not when they arrive.. 

Yeah, that's really weird because if you zoom in on the labeling, they are the exajct same battery.

Well grasshopper (Simon) you are have past me in your google search abilities but is it a disappointment that profit is more important than good service. After all they are only batteries why do the have to rip of the uninformed to keep in business. 

By the way you will get an email from me for advice on avoiding rip offs on local tours in the land of tiny nuggets.😁       

• Confused 1