Some folk believe that their prayers are rewarded, others claim that if you ask the Universe for anything it’ll respond.. But when you need a new battery for your Foxy Noxy, these methods don't work anywhere near as good as keeping an eye out on Ebay..

Since that awful day last month when the battery on my Nox 800 stopped charging I’ve considered many options, including an external power-pack (expensive), soldering the plug-in cable to other lithium batteries (deadly), and to keep on swapping with the battery from my Nox 600 (pain in ass)..

This afternoon I searched on Ebay and scored two new Equinox batteries for just $50 (plus $10 postage).. That’s a new battery for Foxy Noxy and a spare for the unlikely event I ever need another one! Gotta love them win/win days..

Screenshot 2021-06-10 1.29.48 PM.png

• Like 9

Great find, I guess I need to look at eBay again for some items that I need.

Glad you found some.  See this post - in the USA at least no need to go combing through eBay in hopes of finding one.  Just call ML support and they should be able to point you to the service center who will hook you up with a battery or you can contact your dealer.  If outside the warranty period, the cost is $30 US and the service center will install it for you, if needed (though I suspect you may have to pay shipping if you send your detector in - I have asked the question) or you can opt to DIY.

Eric - dunno if you attempted to contact ML support in Aus but it was something I suggested way back when you first posted about your issue.  I know you bought the units second hand but that doesn't typically invalidate the 3-year warranty and as you can see, at least ML-USA provides a way to get your batteries even outside the warranty period.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

dunno if you attempted to contact ML support in Aus

G'day Chase, thanks for your advice..  I contacted our local ML dealer on the mainland who didn't sell Equinox batteries separately nor did he know anyone who did.. The only place I could find them was online from people based in the US or the UK, that's why I was so surprised to see these two turn up here in Australia (just down the road).. I also thought that once you remove the battery yourself or crack the seals the unit is no longer under warranty.. none of my second-hand detectors came with warranty papers (I bought them online), which also makes it awkward when dealing with ML or their dealers..    

• Like 1

Those Ebay batteries look like they were two wire, the battery that comes out of the Equinnox has an extra yellow wire, not sure what for?  Temperature maybe to stop you charging when overheated?

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Those Ebay batteries look like they were two wire

Thanks Phrunt, you're right! I didn't look too closely at the wires, just made sure the numbers on the side of the battery were the same.. could they be knockoffs? 

• Like 1

I doubt it, I'd just think they're missing that feature. Once you've got the old one out just pull it apart and see what that 3rd wire is doing, it maybe just attached to a temperature sensor that you can move across to the other battery.  The detector would likely work fine without it anyway you'd just have to be careful yourself not to charge it if it's too hot like in a car on a hot day as charging the batteries in too high heat can damage them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Erik Oostra said:

G'day Chase, thanks for your advice..  I contacted our local ML dealer on the mainland who didn't sell Equinox batteries separately nor did he know anyone who did.. The only place I could find them was online from people based in the US or the UK, that's why I was so surprised to see these two turn up here in Australia (just down the road).. I also thought that once you remove the battery yourself or crack the seals the unit is no longer under warranty.. none of my second-hand detectors came with warranty papers (I bought them online), which also makes it awkward when dealing with ML or their dealers..    

Erik that is why I said contact ML support directly.  It costs nothing to simply ask them the question even if your gear is out of warranty.  The worst that could happen is they say no - no harm, no foul.  On the other hand they could say yes, send it in on our dime or we’ll send you the (right) part and then you wouldn’t be sitting here wondering what that yellow wire is all about.  SMH

• Like 1
3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Those Ebay batteries look like they were two wire

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

then you wouldn’t be sitting here wondering what that yellow wire is all about.  SMH

G'day Phrunt and Chase, your responses to my post have really got me thinking (and worried).. but a close up of the Ebay batteries clearly show the yellow wire! another problem solved.. you can stop shaking your head now Chase 😁..

Screenshot 2021-06-11 8.00.35 AM.png

• Like 3

You are right, it is there, just hidden 🙂  Great news.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By phrunt
      I stumbled across this video of the F75 finding a silver coin deeper than the Equinox, and then he goes on to show the F75 performing better finding a coin between iron.
      What are your thoughts on this one? I never did bother buying a F75 even though a SE edition came up for sale extraordinary cheap nearby to me, my experience with my T2 had me thinking my Nox was better in almost all situations, was I wrong?    I'm a bit puzzled by this video and I guess it could be soil conditions or something but I've found my Nox far better on deep silver than my T2 and I sure have experimented a lot on untouched in ground silvers.
    • By mn90403
      I saw some waves last night and thought I'd get in a wet beach detect today before I drive to a one day desert hunt in the Southern California mountains.  I didn't know what to expect and I didn't find very much of interest but I did find this pendant.   
      Does anyone know anything about it and what the symbols and writings mean?  I'll do an image search and post what I find.

• By mn90403
      Today I was walking along the wet sand just looking for any targets and not finding many.  Then I found a Jesus ring. Thank you Jesus!  I gridded the area near the ring and found an Italian chain marked CU SU so I guess that means it is only gold ionized or something like that.  It is pretty.  It was time to get off the wet sand on the mile plus walk back to the car.
      I walked around the area where I had found my Franklin 50 Cent piece and nothing new.  I went through the area nearby where I had found some recent silver and then followed my pattern back to the car.  It was a warm day and I had to keep myself slowed down at about the 3 hour mark to keep in the game.  Then I got the 35 on the Equinox and it turned out to be only my second silver 50 cent piece.  I don't think I've held one of these since I was a kid.  In the same general area was the 1944 Quarter and a couple of silver dimes.  That makes for a pretty good day.

These are the best of the finds with two wheat pennies.

Just after I found the ring which is unmarked I got a 5 on the 800.  When I dug it I could see the chain hanging out of the scoop.

Then you feel it and know the weight is not quite right even tho the color is good.

Then later I saw the markings and now it is stylish but not solid gold.  I gridded the area and kept telling myself that chains don't sound like coins.

Then about half an hour later I did get a coin sound and what a nice coin it is.

This has not been touched as far as cleaning.  It is one of those substantial coins that when you hold it it feels good.  So you settle down and get to work looking for more.

It was not long after and I had the quarter and a couple of dimes and the wheats.
      This was the way it all looked when I dumped it in the containers after the hunt.

The saw blade was quite odd.  I'll go back to that area one day at the beginning of my hunt rather than at the end.
      Mitchel

• By Erik Oostra
      My Equinox 800 no longer charges, the green light flicks on and off as if its doing its job but the battery is not holding a charge.. as soon as i turn it on i get the 'battery flat' sign.. I'm one of those pedantic bastards who always runs their battery flat and then fully recharges it, for fear that otherwise it'll create a 'memory' half full.. 
      Is there anything I can do about this? or is my poor old Foxy Noxy a write off? 
      Any advice will be much appreciated.. even slaughtering a black chicken at midnight during a full moon, if it works I'll be a very happy man! 
    • By mn90403
      I have an 800 that I use at the beach.  Sometimes it drops and this causes the plastic stand to break.  I glue it but it has happened about 3 times and soon I won't be able to glue it.
      It is time to get a new cuff/stand.  I'm really not interested in new shafts but ...
      I use the 15" more than any coil if that makes a difference.
      Mitchel
    • By Sasquatch
      Last weekend I made the drive from Anchorage up to the Taylor Highway and past Chicken to the Jack Wade public gold panning area.  Look up Steve’s excellent posts on the area for more descriptions and pictures of nuggets, no gold on my trip.
      It’s still pretty early so Chicken wasn’t even open yet and some ice shelfs were still along sections of the creek. Got great weather, just some passing downpours but in a T-shirt with no mosquitos most of the time.  I did take waders to cross the creek,as it was running a little high with snowmelt.
      This was the first trip I dedicated a lot of time as a serious search for gold and was just as much about learning the detector.  Mostly I have worked beaches, campsites, a few roadsides, so I know it can find the tiniest bits of melted aluminum can, bullets and coins.
      As expected I dug a lot of trash, but I did find some interesting nuggets that are definitely not gold.  Most are iron based, magnetic, but a couple look very noduly, and one is not magnetic. The others are probably just rusted bits of iron.  There were some sparkles I thought might be pyrite but I think is just dust from the surrounding shist as even the nails and bits of wire sparkle under the right light. Take a look at the pics and see what you think, maybe just welding or torch cutting remnants. They were all in the same area.
      The area has been heavily worked by detectorists with lots of dig holes around.  Equally lots of unexplored tailings but many so overgrown that swinging a detector is impossible. I put in about 16 hours of exploring and detecting on the tailings. Covered a wide variety of terrain and tailings, new, old, tall, short, and along some bedrock sections.
      On to the Equinox: I tried both Park 2 and the Gold 1 settings.  Obviously, my ear is not tuned to the Gold 1 program, it was providing way more chatter than I could process, even with sensitivity turned down to 15 or so.  I would have turned it down more but I could run in Park 2 at 20-22 sensitivity and thought I may miss more in Gold 1.  I was using the 11” stock coil.
      Is it normal to have to run at a much lower sensitivity in the gold modes?
      Most of the time I ended up running in Park 2 with -7,-8,-9 turned off, which may have been a mistake. With how worked the area is, the best chance is probably digging all the iron and hoping for a nugget that might be masked by the trash.
      In one area I did have some trouble with hot rocks, they would sound as a fairly small but round 12 with iron nearby but after digging out would end up as a -6 hot rock.  Was curious why it read so high.
      All in all a great trip.  No gold, and not much wildlife but got a nice shot of a Short-eared Owl on the drive out the Taylor Hwy.   Photos of finds, handful of magnetic nuggets, close up of the non magnetic nugget (maybe lead or silver?)