How To Find The Best Gold Detector

• The title was changed to How To Find The Best Gold Detector

Great advice Steve!

Don't know if I will ever get the time to be a prospecting "newbie"! Still got plenty to master here where I am with general detecting! But I've learned enough on the forum to know that a first attempt would be lessons, first and foremost! And most likely several, from a few different people, who are successful at it!👍👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Getting this training before you buy your new detector has big advantages. It could keep you from buying the wrong machine.... or even make you decide to save your money entirely. Nugget detecting is not for everyone. 

Any newbie wanting to get into nugget hunting and prospecting with the expectation of being successful, this is the best advice they can get. Great thread Steve!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Steve,

Another very on point post, clutter cutter you are indeed!

Gerry McMullen is a great teacher and his crew are also good instructors.  Fun people to boot.

I read your lengthy post last night about your curse/gift and was very moved by your candor and humility, I am sure you will make a significant impact upon those folks you come into contact with.  You seem to have tapped into the soul of this community and I am a better person for it.  Thank you.

Jeff

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Good advice Steve and thank you for sharing that information.

I do however have just one question to something that you stated and would like some clarity.

Just which of us are nuts, or is it all of us are and your just being kind?

• Haha 7

6 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

I do however have just one question to something that you stated and would like some clarity.

Just which of us are nuts, or is it all of us are and your just being kind?

Me for sure !!!!

Going off by myself with noise cancelling headphones on, usually unarmed, in bear, mountain lion and wolf territory.

Sometimes I forget to let one of my kids know where I am going too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Oh my! 1

8 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Going off by myself with noise cancelling headphones on, usually unarmed, in bear, mountain lion and wolf territory.

Sometimes I forget to let one of my kids know where I am going too.

Mr. McClendon, Sir;

You are being foolish and demonstrate a total lack of common sense. It comforts me to know I have like minded prospectors on this forum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 1

I often find people on impulse buy the detector then they struggle then they finally do some actual research and look for someone who knows what they are doing and approach them for help. This happens to me constantly and I ended up training all the city dealers customers for them, one dealer actually rang us and asked about our training rate and a few weeks later a guy rocked up unannounced with a brand new GPZ7000 in the box claiming he was here for his training session!! 🤬

I wore myself out the first three years of opening our shop and now will only train OUR customers who purchase from OUR store (comes free with the GPZ 7000). I would much rather go out detecting and can actually make more money doing so than setting up a full time training business, this is mainly due to my actually putting effort into the customer one on one, some people take longer than others and I could not just leave them when the allotted time was up.  

Apparently I am also known as the “Angry Prospector” 😂  because I get a bit short with people who refuse to listen or worse won’t shut up!! I am not there to make friends I have a small window of time to try and get across the interaction between motion, sight and sound, settings are pretty simple with detectors these days but actually swinging the detector and combining those senses to massage a target signal out of the ground is the hardest part, trying to demonstrate this when someone is talking incessantly and not paying attention is maddening and nigh on impossible. 

No matter which detector you buy be honest with yourself about your level of commitment, no amount of training will help if you’re not committed to learning. Trying to sort the wheat from the chaff can be a little daunting when you are doing your research but like Steve said look for the reputable consistently successful people in the area you wish to explore.

JP

• Like 9