Another Pinpointer Being Planned At Nokta/Makro

If a rival has an orange pointer, known as the 'Carrot' , then can't N-M make a cream coloured pointer and name it the 'Parsnip' ? Parsnip Pointer, has a certain flow to it. Or alternatively, name it the 'Neep' , which is colloquial Scottish for turnip. It's not turnip-shaped, clearly, but naming pointers after root vegetables is fashionable currently. The Nokta Neep ...

Here's the amusing Scottish Wikipedia page on neeps:

https://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neep

• Haha 2

On 6/19/2021 at 7:05 PM, dogodog said:

Can't imagine what the market share of another pinpointer would be, Maybe 3%.

This was exactly my reaction when I learned about it. The reply came that this pinpointer would bring something different to the table and would be based on customer input and feedback. It would have to be something special for sure in order to get us to give it a look in an already crowded market. For me it would take something with the range of a TRX (people are now shelling out $220-$340 for new old stock on eBay closed sales), either native disc or adoption of the host machine’s disc, and maybe, possibly (curved?) display for settings and information.

Many poo poo the idea of disc, particularly since it didn’t work out to customer satisfaction with the ProFind 35, but I maintain it could be helpful provided the machine had enough range to make it effective. It wasn’t all that long ago that old timers were arguing that pinpointers themselves were not useful enough to adopt. Then they adopted them and argued range beyond an inch was not useful. Now nearly every pinpointer on the market gets at least a couple inches on up to several in some cases.

Pinpointers will evolve and add new features beyond current configurations over time. Some will eventually have disc circuits. Maybe NM has discovered something they can’t wait to share. Maybe something that will set a new standard for pinpointers. Either way, the PulseDive was genius. Makes you wonder what other ideas they may have. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Joe D. said:

My main pinpointer that I love (Treasure Products Vibra-Probe 585), and have used for nearly seven years, has been practically indestructible! But still works great! No buttons, no adjustments, no speaker, vibrate only, and good to nearly 100 ft., but rarely goes any more than five feet deep! Works for me!! Apparently, I am one of the few using one!!?🤔

Joe, are sure that's a pin pointer????? Just asking for a friend. Not sure if your the only one using it, I hear they are pretty popular.

• Haha 3

It's all fun and games, till someone loses an eye!! 😉😂  👍👍

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2021 at 1:43 PM, Joe D. said:

Less complicated to make, cheaper to ship! And if they are paying attention to all the complaints about the one's that don't work well on the market, They could take a nice marketshare, and increase there R&D spending!(a little more!) JMO!

My main pinpointer that I love (Treasure Products Vibra-Probe 585), and have used for nearly seven years, has been practically indestructible! But still works great! No buttons, no adjustments, no speaker, vibrate only, and good to nearly 100 ft., but rarely goes any more than five feet deep! Works for me!! Apparently, I am one of the few using one!!?🤔

.  I did send NoMak my list of names just for fun! If I get a free one out of it, or not, I'm good!👍👍

You're not the only one Joe. I have one myself. Until I got the TRX, it was my primary pin pointer. Very well built, but, there are certain things about it that could be improved. I would rather have an on-off switch rather than the time consuming tip up, tip down method of turning it on/off. It also will float right out of the holster, so, a lanyard is a must. The tip material wears easily. I had to add some epoxy to it when it wore through. It also is more prone to "talk" to my other detectors, which can be annoying if I don't remember to keep them far enough apart. It's a lot bigger (both diameter and length) and a bit more cumbersome to use compared to the others I've used, except for the TinyTec. Anyone remember those?

• Like 1

Cudamark,

You are correct on all counts about some idiosyncrasies with it! But it's still my most used "tank" for pinpointing, out of three good ones I have! Personal preference for how I dig targets I guess!

I'll add another; the compression cap (stopper) tends to want to slip out, when putting pressure on the probe! I'm pretty rough with it on inland digging, locating a target with just a small digger slit in the turf! It gets pryed about in the ground! But I've fixed that small issue! And also made a connector for a bungee that slips beneath it! 

All my pinpointers when new, get a cap, and a dip in plast-dip! So none have had any wear thru problems! I just recap, and redip as needed!

I don't use the sound with detectors or pinpointers; it draws too much unwanted attention! Headphones/vibrate only!

It could use a redesign! But I still look at it as a sleeper! I may get a second one soon, in case they stop building them! 

My other two are a PulseDive with all the trimmings, for some reef hole hunting! And my origional carrot, with an "epoxed closed" speaker and light hole, so its waterproof!👍👍

20210623_185716.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 8:41 PM, ☠ Cipher said:

Many poo poo the idea of disc, particularly since it didn’t work out to customer satisfaction with the ProFind 35, but I maintain it could be helpful provided the machine had enough range to make it effective.

I have a profind35 since 2 years now and it works very well for me including the iron disc ... I dont understand what could be wrong with this poinpointer .. Or may be I have the only one working correctly  ...  🙂

• Like 1

Finding the ProFind 35 is more stable with my AT Pro and Apex than my other machines. Suspecting it falses from incompatibility. Previous 2 PF's where replaced under warranty. Not a bad pointer but for stability the Nokta Pulse Dive pointer is really nice. Now if Nokta is making a new one then a PI pointer with auto ground balance to address finding small targets in tough ground would be a winner.

I do like the replacable tip they have on the Pulse Dive.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, palzynski said:

I have a profind35 since 2 years now and it works very well for me including the iron disc ... I dont understand what could be wrong with this poinpointer .. Or may be I have the only one working correctly  ...  🙂

The complaint has been that the iron tone doesn’t kick in until you’re already right on top of the iron and have been distracted. For those that feel this is the case the ProFind 35 doesn’t have enough range (or depth) to give an early enough warning. It is true that it doesn’t have the range of a TRX say, or the F-Pulse. Given that kind of range (or preferably more because disc reduces depth) an iron tone might be more effective 

• Like 1