Excalibur 1000 Advice

I went ahead and used the pill bottle, cut in half, on two coils. I kept the wires straight and used the Heyco you show. I used heat shrink on each individual wire, then wrapped with electrical tape, slipped the pill bottle over it.  I used hot melt to temporarily seal the bottle to the coil base, and poured in the resin. Seems fine.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Thanks for this thread guys. I’m currently working on an Excalibur 1000 as a project and thought I might throw in my 2 cents worth. I know this thread is a couple of years old and plenty of people may already know what I'm about to tell, but there is a guy in Ukraine who makes end caps to suit all excals. He goes by DDT, I first found him on YouTube and he has a eBay shop too. He seems to be keeping up with demand despite the troubles they have over there. The interesting thing about his products is that he can make end caps that allow all sorts of mods to the Excalibur e.g., end caps with the fitting ready to take the CTX3030 (underwater) headphones. all you do is plug and play. Anyway, I’m not his advertising agent, so I’ll leave it to you guys to look at what he has to offer. 

Another problem I have found a way of getting around is removing the two pac epoxy from the inside of the end caps. There are all sorts of advice on drilling out the wires etc. all over the internet but I have found the best and easiest way is to boil the endcaps in a saucepan of hot water for about 5 to 10 mins. Try not to let the acrylic come into direct contact with the bottom of the saucepan. I used a tea strainer to hold mine off the bottom, but I’m sure there’s 100 other methods. The two pac epoxy will become soft and crumbly and you can then just carefully dig it out with a small screwdriver. Clean up with a bit of metho or IPA but don’t put acetone anywhere near the acrylic. It turns it to jelly. Anyway, hope this helps, best of luck, Black Crow

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Black Crow here again. I went and bought a new coil and one of those water proof adaptors so I can change coils on my Excalibur 1000. Does anyone know which pin number the green wire from the Excalibur out to the plug in the adaptor should go to? When I bought the coil, they included detailed instructions on how to cut the old coil wire and prepair it for fitting to the new plug but they failed to include a plug pinout diagram. The new coil i bought, designed specifically for the Excalibur series, uses only 4 wires, red, orange, black and white. I can loosen the plug on the new coil and trace the wiring backwards and match the pins that way, no problem. But that still leaves me wondering which of the two remaining pins the green wire needs to go on. I'm assuming that other coils will require this wire to be attached to a paricular pin (for shielding or something) so as you can imagine, I need to get it on the right one. I better add that I picked up this excal real cheep because the original coil lead had been ripped out from deep inside the coil, so I can't even reference the original coil either. If any of you can help it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Black Crow

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 10/29/2023 at 3:27 AM, Black Crow said:

Thanks for this thread guys. I’m currently working on an Excalibur 1000 as a project and thought I might throw in my 2 cents worth. I know this thread is a couple of years old and plenty of people may already know what I'm about to tell, but there is a guy in Ukraine who makes end caps to suit all excals. He goes by DDT, I first found him on YouTube and he has a eBay shop too. He seems to be keeping up with demand despite the troubles they have over there. The interesting thing about his products is that he can make end caps that allow all sorts of mods to the Excalibur e.g., end caps with the fitting ready to take the CTX3030 (underwater) headphones. all you do is plug and play. Anyway, I’m not his advertising agent, so I’ll leave it to you guys to look at what he has to offer. 

Sorry just seen your post.. 

Yes Alton is a good guy and a friend of mine, all he sells is stuff I came up with and made 10 years ago. I guided him along on the endcaps and his new head phones. I sold hundreds of endcaps (lathed myself), head phones, and the PP mode kits, (should have patented the whole lot) The PP kits I've tried to talk him into making but he had not taken on that yet. I stopped in 2016 since I enjoyed Treasure hunting more. And your right, how he gets anything done where he is at, has to be tuff. 

Few shots from the past.. 

OBN0000 (2).jpg

20170313_123059.jpg

20170131_001937_Burst01.jpg

20180214_092239.jpg

On 11/15/2023 at 9:32 PM, Black Crow said:

Black Crow here again. I went and bought a new coil and one of those water proof adaptors so I can change coils on my Excalibur 1000. Does anyone know which pin number the green wire from the Excalibur out to the plug in the adaptor should go to? When I bought the coil, they included detailed instructions on how to cut the old coil wire and prepair it for fitting to the new plug but they failed to include a plug pinout diagram. The new coil i bought, designed specifically for the Excalibur series, uses only 4 wires, red, orange, black and white. I can loosen the plug on the new coil and trace the wiring backwards and match the pins that way, no problem. But that still leaves me wondering which of the two remaining pins the green wire needs to go on. I'm assuming that other coils will require this wire to be attached to a paricular pin (for shielding or something) so as you can imagine, I need to get it on the right one. I better add that I picked up this excal real cheep because the original coil lead had been ripped out from deep inside the coil, so I can't even reference the original coil either. If any of you can help it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Black Crow

The Green wire is the ground and goes to the ground on the board, same as the white wire.. So in order..top to bottom..Red..Black ..White and than Yellow. Or if you have a coil with Blue and Green they connect to the ground #1 or #2 on the board..(as the white does also)  and the others are the same. The receive B is a ground.

Also I never liked those inline adaptors, always leaked once submerged. I came up with a much better setup.. which was as good as the factory hard wired.. 

OBN0366.jpg

After a few years and lots of hours still no leaks.

OBN0098.jpg

.And a old wiring chart I made many years ago..

SNAG-0003%20(2).jpg

• Thanks 1