104 Coins In 5 Hours - Campground Hunt

Yep,

The beaches don't do it to me, but alot of turf digging on two knees does it every time; trying to be neat, and not leave obvious dig spots! 

And I really understand wanting to dig older stuff! I'm "jealous" of most any place with history! What little is here has been covered with buildings, condos, asphalt, and renurishment sand! Gets depressing sometimes, if I think to much about it! But it really makes me appreciate my occasional out of county/state trips!👍👍

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

No problem with legs or back, but my arm muscles are cramping. Some NSAIDs took care of that.

You really need to watch how much of those you take, and just remember that a half pint of moonshine will work just as good. I always keep a couple of quarts on hand just for medicinal purposes.

Great hunt and what did the dollar ring up as?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

You really need to watch how much of those you take, and just remember that a half pint of moonshine will work just as good. I always keep a couple of quarts on hand just for medicinal purposes.

Great hunt and what did the dollar ring up as?

I have used moonshine. Makes it a little more difficult to go out again the same day. 😀

Ya know, I was tempted to swing the detector over the dollar bill. 😄 I think I'll get a new digging tool for those:

21dKzMZMBTL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Finally looked at all of the 211 coins I dug at this campground.

58 quarters, oldest was 1979

50 dimes, oldest 1967

21 nickels, oldest 1964

82 pennies, oldest 1960. 20 1982 or older.

Throwing out 17 of the pennies because they are too crusty or mangled.

$21.20 in two and a quarter days! Actual time spent was about 14 hours.

Sad there was no silver, but glad to have learned how to dig coins fast and deal with EMI, and got some tiny relics and jewelry, one possible gold item.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Finally looked at all of the 211 coins I dug at this campground.

58 quarters, oldest was 1979

50 dimes, oldest 1967

21 nickels, oldest 1964

82 pennies, oldest 1960. 20 1982 or older.

Throwing out 17 of the pennies because they are too crusty or mangled.

$21.20 in two and a quarter days! Actual time spent was about 14 hours.

Sad there was no silver, but glad to have learned how to dig coins fast and deal with EMI, and got some tiny relics and jewelry, one possible gold item.

Must be that they were dropped after the silver was pulled from circulation. So I'm thinking the late 80's early 90's was the start of them dropping coins there. Hey don't throw them mangled pennies out.... torture then by melting them and casting something with them. Zincolns deserve a cruel death 😄

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Must be that they were dropped after the silver was pulled from circulation. So I'm thinking the late 80's early 90's was the start of them dropping coins there. Hey don't throw them mangled pennies out.... torture then by melting them and casting something with them. Zincolns deserve a cruel death 😄

True! I think I'm developing quite the distaste for digging Zincolns. My last run I was skipping 21/22's 😀 if I still had a boat I could cast 'em into replacement zincs. 🤔

I now think I know how you feel after a day of retrieving 100 coins or so. 😵 It was about 1 coin every 4 minutes. Here it was shooting fish in a barrel, the areas were small and easy to cover. No one had ever used a detector there, and yes the park started in the late 70s. Total bonanza for modern coins.

I'll be going back again, got a gathering field loaded with coins and possible relics near a very old house. There are other places like the lake I didn't go into, I had a cut on my foot. Too old to risk infection.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

True! I think I'm developing quite the distaste for digging Zincolns. My last run I was skipping 21/22's 😀 if I still had a boat I could cast 'em into replacement zincs. 🤔

I now think I know how you feel after a day of retrieving 100 coins or so. 😵 It was about 1 coin every 4 minutes. Here it was shooting fish in a barrel, the areas were small and easy to cover. No one had ever used a detector there, and yes the park started in the late 70s. Total bonanza for modern coins.

I'll be going back again, got a gathering field loaded with coins and possible relics near a very old house. There are other places like the lake I didn't go into, I had a cut on my foot. Too old to risk infection.

The funny thing about digging a hundred coins in one outing is that you lose count and don't think you have that many. The times I did it, I figured I had 40 or 50 coins. They add up. The lake sound like a good gold and silver place to me, especially if it has not been hunted. That whole area you described sounds great to hunt. Good luck at it!

• Thanks 1