Official Minelab Vanquish Ground Balance Info?

67GTA

Does anyone have any official info from Minelab stating that the Vanquish defaults to zero GB like the Equinox? It is stated in the Equinox manual, but is not present in the Vanquish manual. I see a lot of people on Facebook groups telling people that the Vanquish has auto ground balance. I tried to argue that they are referencing auto noise cancel, but can't produce any official sources to back up my claim. I can tell the 540 has no GB because of the lack of a GB button, and pumping the coil gives a high or low tones depending on weather it's over or under ground balanced. I'm trying to find some dummy proof info.

• Like 2

Each mode has a different fixed GB reference setting.  You can tell this by pumping the coil over the same patch of ground and cycle through the modes.  If it had auto GB the ground noise would eventually disappear while pumping.  It never disappears no matter how long you pump, indicating fixed GB.  Most folks who use disc, never notice the effect as it only manifests with ferrous bin noise.  Documentation - none that I can find.  Not something I reckon ML wants to brings attention to and for good reason.  No need to prove anything to uninformed or unknowlegeble naysayers.  If they can't figure it out with their own eyes and ears, there's no point wasting  time trying to win the argument with them using documentation they probably would have trouble deciphering in the first place.

• Like 8

You're probably right, but I hate seeing people spread misinformation. If I don't know, I will ask instead of blurting out something. Even if I were to post a link with irrefutable evidence to back it up, it would only get buried in the sea of other BS posts and the OP would probably never see it. Guess that's what I get for trying to participate in Facebook group conversations. I see several posts everyday on FB where new users ask questions and get really stupid answers. Forums like this hold a lifetime of knowledge, but aren't very popular anymore. 

• Like 6

Chase looks at it one way and I look at slightly differently. If the Vanquish was a single frequency detector I would totally agree that each mode has a slightly different preset fixed ground balance point. Now, whether that point is like the Equinox 0 (whatever that actually is since the Equinox GB goes down to -9) I don’t know. However, since the Vanquish is Multi IQ and since Minelab’s own very rudimentary explanation of Multi IQ as employed on the Equinox clearly states that there is a form of ground balancing (compensation might be a better word) happening in the background no matter what the Equinox is manually ground balanced to, which may or may not be very minor automatic adjustments…….???? The Vanquish also has some form of saltwater beach ground balancing capability built into the background beyond it just being SMF, which actually has a marketing name=Beach Advantage…….so who knows. I would not call whatever it is Auto Ground Balancing, but I also would not call whatever it is a static, fixed ground balance point for each different mode which never changes like one would find on a single frequency detector. Regardless, whatever is or isn’t happening in the background is not enough to compensate for the highly mineralized ground in my area or where Chase uses his if we try to hunt with the entire iron range of target IDs accepted.

• Like 9

I just assumed it was zero with every mode like the Nox, and the recovery speed slightly affected the amount of mineralization heard (mostly iron tones at -9 & -8). Guess we will never know for sure. I just wasn't going to try and have a conversation with this depth of ideas on a Facebook post!

• Like 2

Let me put it this way.  When I take my Nox 800 out to my backyard which makes many single frequency detectors overload due to high iron mineralization, choose default Beach 1, leave the ground balance on 0 and press the horseshoe button to accept all targets, I get ground noise registering as -9 when the coil approaches the ground, as I swing it and at the end of each swing. If I choose default Beach 2 and do the same thing I get -9 responses from the ground and ground noise when the coil is moving away from the ground and at the end of each swing. 

So, if the Vanquish is using a form of Equinox Beach 1 and/or Beach 2…….this starts to make some sense. All four modes, Park 1, Park 2, Field 1 and Field 2 react to the ground similar to Beach 2 with GB set on 0 with the horseshoe button pressed and with default settings.

• Like 2

Chase, most of Monte’s post shows up a gibberish on my IPad. It is a great post.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff McClendon said:

Chase, most of Monte’s post shows up a gibberish on my IPad. It is a great post.

Fixed it.  I was trying to bring over the text using html to get "Quote" box, but I messed it up so I just copied the text directly for readability.

• Like 1