Early Planchet Or Coin????

On the 6th of June at the end of the day after a hunt that yielded a big 0, I ran across the street to my go to spot for a quick hour hunt before dinner. I hit a few clad coins and I told myself one more good tone and that is it. Well 5 min. later I got a 33-34 and after digging to 8 inches out popped a large copper (coin)? Little back story this place has yielded some nice colonial coins and other 19th century coins over the years and they are usually retrieved at an average depth of 7'' to 8''. After half ass field cleaning and sweat burning my eyes, I decided to go home and see what it is. Here is my dilemma, it looks like an early copper, feels like an early copper, BUT it has not a scant detail to say it's a certain type coin. The weird thing is that the rim is pretty defined an crisp, but the surface is smooth as silk. I always find some small detail on a coin. After weighing (12.33 grams) and measuring (31 mm) I went about trying to see what coins fit. The closest I found was a 1799 1/2 penny measuring (31 mm) and weighing (12.66 grams). I started to wonder why in such good shape that there was no detail front or back. Could it be an early planchet yet to be stamped? Or possibly counterfeit blank??  I need a little feedback on what you all think. This one has me guessing.

IMG_2187.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

• Like 8

I'm going with "field coin" Doggo, I dug one very similar to that at a campground. Had a rim but no details. 😵 The difference in weight could be the loss of detail from your research, I say bravo.👏

• Like 2

Early Roman tiddly wink i think.

Could be a worry coin that is well worn.

• Haha 3

These big copper coins were commonly re-used as weights for trade. Re-shaping of the rim of the coin was one thing they often did, and your example seems to have this treatment.
Here in the UK, it was done to the George 3rd penny, a big coin that weighed a full one ounce ( Avoirdupois ), I have an example myself, and here's a web-found one:

https://picclick.co.uk/rare-cartwheel-penny-turned-in-to-coin-weight-254122836629.html

As your one weighs just under half-ounce, it may well be the 1799 halfpenny coin.

Here's a modified halfpenny:

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/1029106

• Like 7