Coiltek 10x5 Nox Impressions

Finally got my hands on one of these coils and am grateful. I was also lucky. Very lucky.

First thing I was pleased about was that my Equinox coil bolt worked, it was a little tight but went right through. Did a system reset and re-paired my headphones.

Next I noticed the coil cover is kinda sloppy, so I grabbed a couple of black zip ties, problem solved. I have an ear stiffener on my large coil with zip ties so this is no big deal to me. It will be easier to get off than the Minelab cover which was tough to get on, let alone off.

It was kinda late in the day, so I set up my usual settings, Field 2, sensitivity 23, F2=3. This is what I used last weekend at the campground to score over 200 coins, although I had to switch to 10kHz a few times to cancel EMI. I went out in the back yard to a spot where there are hundreds of bullet shells of all sizes and metals, some steel, others varying brass, and a lot of lead. I wanted to see how the coil performed in a very dense metal environment.

I noise cancelled, and then ground balanced in a spot with no metal. The first thing that struck me was how easily this coil goes silent when pumping it, I almost never get a perfect reading with the 11" coil, so I just go with it. This coil went silent after a few pumps no matter where I balanced, either turf, soil, or the dreaded "gravel test" in my driveway. If you've ever hunted in gravel, you know what I mean. The silence after about 5 pumps was shocking, and then every real target appeared with no false sounds. Wow!

I tried it in a bit of field, thinking what a bonus it will be this fall because they planted corn this year. Real easy to maneuver.

In turf it "falsed" a bit when it hit tall grass or stiff weeds, but not nearly as bad as the 11".

Another thing I noticed was how "tight" the target IDs were. steel shells were 9 -11, brass 13-15. It almost seems like the coil has laser precision identifying targets. Can't wait to see how accurate pinpointing is!

I didn't dig anything because I just got my lawn looking good, but I plan to take it to an area where there is a ton of trash, and see what I'm missing. It picked up targets at max depth, so the proof will be in the diggin'.

Just a first impression, more to come.

20210623_210005.thumb.jpg.c265c1e126a13358a87498f50d583798.jpg

• Like 7

Good report, F350, and hey -- nice-looking shaft!  😄

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, steveg said:

Good report, F350, and hey -- nice-looking shaft!  😄

Steve

Love it, Steve. Not "Boingy" like the one I had, if I hit a rock or something I don't get a symphony.

Got a serious beach trip coming up, water performance to review. Thanks again for a unique (for now) look!

• Like 1

Glad to hear that you have tested it on a few things F350, but could you please send it to me so that I can verify what you are saying.

It really looks good on your 800 and I bet that it has cut down on the weight just a bit also.

I'll send you address later.

• Haha 2

Cool looking rig! You're going to love that coil. I haven't taken mine off since I got it. I'm only hunting parks lately, but it's a sniper in the park. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Nice report F350Platinum.

Just curious why you did a factory reset, does CoilTek recommend it or ?

• Thanks 1

It is a good coil, and I like it's sensitivity to small gold at the tip and tail, not near the depth of the 11" on coin size targets but you wouldn't expect it to be of course as it is a lot smaller of a coil.

I'm pleased to hear they've fixed the coil bolt issue, my 10x5" is one of the first batch and the ML bolt does not fit it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Cool looking rig! You're going to love that coil. I haven't taken mine off since I got it. I'm only hunting parks lately, but it's a sniper in the park. 🙂

Thanks, I'm wondering if I'll ever take it off now. Only lose a little bit of coverage. Sure is light!  Feels like using a precision instrument compared to the larger stock coil.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Nice report F350Platinum.

Just curious why you did a factory reset, does CoilTek recommend it or ?

Thanks! there are a lot of really experienced and technical folks here who post great stuff regarding this coil. I read almost all if not all of those posts, and thought an idiots' opinion might be an interesting read 😀 more feel oriented. I use my 600 almost every day, have since December.

Being a retired 40 year technology veteran, I liked someone else's opinion that you should reset the machine with every coil change. The Equinox has lots of internal Magicks as evidenced by the long boot up time. Wouldn't want it to think it had some other coil and not perform its best. Reading that somewhere just made sense.

I'm also a firm believer in making what I consider logical but uninformed statements so that I get my butt kicked by the pros. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

It is a good coil, and I like it's sensitivity to small gold at the tip and tail, not near the depth of the 11" on coin size targets but you wouldn't expect it to be of course as it is a lot smaller of a coil.

I'm pleased to hear they've fixed the coil bolt issue, my 10x5" is one of the first batch and the ML bolt does not fit it.

The bolt resisted a bit at first, but suddenly popped in. I didn't use any excessive force. Must be a tolerance thing. Read somewhere Coiltek is a sort of "garage band" company, I've worked for a few of those kind of manufacturers so it's no surprise. I noticed my serial number was not far off from another that it worked for.

This coil is first batch, I jumped on an offer. 

• Like 2