Special Thanks To Mr. Steve And Everyone Here On The Forum

Imagine if you didn't have this sight to revert back to when you run into a problem and nine outta ten times Mr. Steve has covered the topic. I'm truly happy to be part of this forum and learning a lot.  

With that said what is the best settings for heavy iron laden sights? I mean mostly square nails. Keep in mind this is with the standard 11 inch coil. Some say lower recovery and super slow. Some say faster recovery. So I know it can work for some in both ways. What mode? Please anyone share. I started excepting iron but muting it and has anyone else tried this and noticed the unmasking it's truly noticable?

Guest Tnsharpshooter
13 hours ago, Equinox DetExpert said:

Imagine if you didn't have this sight to revert back to when you run into a problem and nine outta ten times Mr. Steve has covered the topic. I'm truly happy to be part of this forum and learning a lot.  

With that said what is the best settings for heavy iron laden sights? I mean mostly square nails. Keep in mind this is with the standard 11 inch coil. Some say lower recovery and super slow. Some say faster recovery. So I know it can work for some in both ways. What mode? Please anyone share. I started excepting iron but muting it and has anyone else tried this and noticed the unmasking it's truly noticable?

My experiences.  Heavier iron laden sites.  Using stock coil EQx 800 model you have some options.

Use of Multi freq.

Park 1 will work and eek out higher conductors sometimes better.  Speeds of 5-7 can be used.  

Park 2 will work again speeds 5-7.

Field 2 will work again speeds 5-7.

Park 2 and field 2 work better unmasking medium and lower conductive targets.

Now one may need to hunt site multiple times using the above with even different speed settings.

Prospecting mode 1 works too.  Again speeds 5-7.

Iron bias, I recommend FE =0 or F2= 0-4.

I like running with horseshoe disengaged.  Might engage on suspect target to try and gain more intel.

I run ground balance doing auto GB adjacent to site where nails are.  Balancing over clean ground.

Imo the oem 800 model headphones using Bluetooth not the best to hear the different audio nuances.  Rather use wi stream module and different headphones that give higher pitched tones or use plug in headphones that again give higher pitched tones.  Or buy a set of Bluetooth that yield cleaner sounding higher pitched audio.

Multi tones 50 Tones I use exclusively in the rough iron sites. 

Park 2 located targets will generally sound louder and raspier. S the same target located using Field 2 detect mode.

Pinpoint feature can be useless in sites like this too.  Sometimes helpful though in determining bigger iron.

Prospecting modes are overlooked by many.  They shouldn’t be imo.  They work.  Prospecting mode 1 an ideal open field detect mode to run when one is looking for more iron density where usually more human activity took place.  Deep mode too.

Single freqs use of 20 and 40 kHz can yield targets too.  Can be quieter overall to hunt an iron laden site.  The use of single freqs though, one shouldn’t think use of these is cleaning out all EQX detectable finds.  You have to use multi freq different detect modes to help clean out site.

Sensitivity levels of 18-24 used.

Cheers.

Do you know the difference between lots of iron and EMI? That could be important. Recently I was at a place the only single frequency that would work was 10kHz. If you have done noise cancel and GB and the detector is still going nuts it's EMI.

I have a 600 and almost always use Field 2  with F2=3, and all metal on. Sensitivity varies due to noise, but I run it as high as possible and back it down if it's too chatty. I always leave recovery speed at high, as it tells me in the 50 tones if there are a mix of targets. This isn't for the person that dislikes a lot of noise.

• Like 3

It's funny how TNSS stays within the range of 5-7 and I primarily use just 4 or 8. If the 800 had only two recovery speeds, those would work fine for me. In iron laden sites, I use both. 8 for separation and 4 for depth. Most sites with iron have occasional spaces between the iron where the deeper setting of 4 can pull out targets that 8 can not reach. I generally use Field 2 in iron for good separation or sometimes 20/40 kHz. Gold mode is also worth a try but I usually find that it falses too much on the iron.

• Like 1

Try lowering the sensitivity.  You can even lower it to 14 or 15 and still get decent depth.  I’ve noticed that high tones will come in clearer in iron infested areas with lower sense settings.  

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 1:48 PM, F350Platinum said:

Do you know the difference between lots of iron and EMI? That could be important. Recently I was at a place the only single frequency that would work was 10kHz. If you have done noise cancel and GB and the detector is still going nuts it's EMI.

I have a 600 and almost always use Field 2  with F2=3, and all metal on. Sensitivity varies due to noise, but I run it as high as possible and back it down if it's too chatty. I always leave recovery speed at high, as it tells me in the 50 tones if there are a mix of targets. This isn't for the person that dislikes a lot of noise.

I absolutely Know the difference. I have had both models and have extraordinary finds with the equinox. I just haven't ever hunted a site so dense with nails. Square nails. They're a pain sometimes

• The title was changed to Special Thanks To Mr. Steve And Everyone Here On The Forum