Sorry, I can't seem to find my previous thread on this subject. To recap, my AQ wouldn't power up, so, it was sent in to Fisher for repair. They claimed that it was the battery. I had my doubts, as I had tried a second battery with the same results. Anyway, they claimed it was only the battery and sent it back to me with a new one. On a side note, I had just sent the electronics back to them, and kept all the rods, cuff, and charger to save on shipping costs. Well, it seems they want EVERYTHING sent back when they do a repair. That's a first for me. They even told me that you shouldn't remove the arm cuff at all! It's something that they have to do, and not something the customer is capable of as it might damage the cable inside the rod.  Good grief, what a design. Anyway, when I got it back, I noticed that the cable from the battery to the pod had been changed. Hmmm, I wonder if that was really the problem and not the battery. Otherwise, why change it? Oh, you think they might have sent a new and improved one? Think again. I didn't think they could make that design any worse, but, they managed. It's even longer that the original, and wimpier IMO. And what is the problem with using 90 degree connectors to reduce the risk of cable damage? Well, it works now, so, I guess I can't complain too much, in fact, the new battery is a lot better than the original. The last hunt, I got over 3 1/2 hours on it and still had a green light! That's definitely an improvement. Now, if I can just find something good that my other detectors couldn't find!

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, cudamark said:

They even told me that you shouldn't remove the arm cuff at all! It's something that they have to do, and not something the customer is capable of as it might damage the cable inside the rod. 

LOL ... If I recall correctly, the arm cuff has three positions that it can be set in. From the factory it is in the middle position. On both my AQ LTD's I moved the cuff to the highest position because that works best for me in preventing a recurrence of elbow issues I've had in the past. To move it, the screw needs to come out and the wiring is very apparent.  A tiny bit of care in lining things up so the wire isn't nicked putting the screw back in is all that is needed.

Glad you got a "better" battery!

Edited to add: On the newer of the two AQs I have, the battery cable is thinner but stiffer, and the connector has a little flared plastic piece on the end of the connector ... and it did not have the little red O rings that the first one had. It looks like the newer connector is made to seal without the O ring. I added an O ring just in case and it looks like the connector snugs up with the same gap between the connectors with and with out the added O ring.

• Like 2

I think the biggest mistake made was using wires/cables that would not withstand what a metal detector needs. Instead of using a cable that was over rated, they chose under rated and that makes for a bad perception of the product. All of my issues were wire related. I spent more money having headphones made up and fixing it then I spent detecting with it. I could never give the machine a fair shake, as the times my beach was prime to hunt, the machine went down.  I still believe it's a good machine but I'll never be confident it will work when I need it to. My advice if you are going to use it somewhere away from home..... bring a back up detector that you enjoy.

• Like 1

I had high hope's for a production model! But at this point, I've pretty much moved on to assessing other units; including tried and true models that do the job just fine! Just have to continue letting Mother Nature make up for any depth loss! And save the $$$ for other priorities!👍👍

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I had high hope's for a production model! But at this point, I've pretty much moved on to assessing other units; including tried and true models that do the job just fine! Just have to continue letting Mother Nature make up for any depth loss! And save the $$$ for other priorities!👍👍

Yep, me too.

• Like 1

Sorry to see the issues Cuda and good to see your back in business. I do think those that wait for the New "AQ" version will be much happier since there is no external battery wires and battery. The New version will have 4 drop in 18650 Li-ion cells. Very clean design.

• Like 4