Wireless Headset For Equinox And Pinpointer

Hi all,

I love my equinox 800, but I hate taking off my headphones to listen to my pinpointer signal. I'm looking at getting a pinpointer with Bluetooth technology, but as far as I can tell I'm not able to use the same headphones for both devices. Does anyone have any advice on this in terms of what to buy or how to make two different systems work together on the same headphones? 

1 hour ago, Golden pennies said:

Hi all,

I love my equinox 800, but I hate taking off my headphones to listen to my pinpointer signal. I'm looking at getting a pinpointer with Bluetooth technology, but as far as I can tell I'm not able to use the same headphones for both devices. Does anyone have any advice on this in terms of what to buy or how to make two different systems work together on the same headphones? 

Hi GP, and welcome. 🙂 A short bio/intro is appreciated in the Meet and Greet for first time posters. 

There may not be an all- encompassing solution for you. You didn't say what pinpointer you have, some pinpointers use streaming WiFi, others Bluetooth, and are generally sold as sets with the headphones and detector. Had you browsed the forum you would have seen many posts on just this subject.

I'll offer what I do, It's too hot this time of year to wear over ear headphones so I wear on ear headphones (SoundBlaster Jam V2 - $39 Amazon) and I can hear my pinpointer just fine. Others just switch their Garrett Carrot or whatever to vibrate only and go with that. 

Seems to me I have never had a problem hearing the Carrot over my on ear headphones, so there's that. 🤔 Used it all winter. A detector so noisy that it interrupts your pinpointing is a sign of heavy EMI, or improper Ground Balance and noise cancelling. Or you're on a bed of nails 😉

While you're waiting for others to chime in, why not tell us a bit about your experience and equipment in Meet And Greet?

We also like pics of finds. 😀

• Like 5

Shouldn't the Garrett Z-Lynk system solve this problem?  Basically get the transmitter+receiver pair and Garrett Carrot that has Z-Lynk compatability.  Plug the Z-Lynk transmitter (I think you'll need a 3.5 mm male to 1/4" female adapter, but those are easy to find for a few bucks) into the Eqx 3.5 mm socket on the back of the control unit.  Strap the transmitter to the shaft with the included o-ring (or roll-your-own velcro attachment).  Plug your favorite headphones (if 3.5 mm plug then you'll need a 1/4" male to 3.5 mm female adapter, even cheaper than the above version) into the receiver module and put the receiver module somewhere handy (shirt picket, strapped to your hat, etc.)  You also have the option of using Garrett's Z-Lynk (MS-3) headphones which avoids having to deal with the typical coiled cord on most headphones.

If someone has more knowledge of this system and I've misrepresented its capabilities, please speak up.  I use the Z-Lynk T+R on my 'other' detectors and the ML WM08 (receiver) module and favorite headphones/earbuds with my ML Equinox 800.  I don't have a wireless compatible pinpointer, though.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 6/28/2021 at 3:20 PM, GB_Amateur said:

Shouldn't the Garrett Z-Lynk system solve this problem?  Basically get the transmitter+receiver pair and Garrett Carrot that has Z-Lynk compatability.  Plug the Z-Lynk transmitter (I think you'll need a 3.5 mm male to 1/4" female adapter, but those are easy to find for a few bucks) into the Eqx 3.5 mm socket on the back of the control unit.  Strap the transmitter to the shaft with the included o-ring (or roll-your-own velcro attachment).  Plug your favorite headphones (if 3.5 mm plug then you'll need a 1/4" male to 3.5 mm female adapter, even cheaper than the above version) into the receiver module and put the receiver module somewhere handy (shirt picket, strapped to your hat, etc.)  You also have the option of using Garrett's Z-Lynk (MS-3) headphones which avoids having to deal with the typical coiled cord on most headphones.

If someone has more knowledge of this system and I've misrepresented its capabilities, please speak up.  I use the Z-Lynk T+R on my 'other' detectors and the ML WM08 (receiver) module and favorite headphones/earbuds with my ML Equinox 800.  I don't have a wireless compatible pinpointer, though.

The Z-Lynk boxes along with wireless carrot can add true high speed wireless with integrated pinpointer audio to almost any detector made. Great for somebody with multiple detectors since it will work on all of them.

https://garrett.com/accessories/zlynk

• Like 2

I wonder if you could bypass plugging the Z-Link transmitter into the equinox itself by plugging it into the WM 08. I’m not sure what advantage that would provide other than not having to mount it, but more of a techie concoction. Spitballing. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

I wonder if you could bypass plugging the Z-Link transmitter into the equinox itself by plugging it into the WM 08. I’m not sure what advantage that would provide other than not having to mount it, but more of a techie concoction. Spitballing. 

I'm sure it would work minus any possible interference issue between the two high speed boxes.

Most things Bluetooth will allow two devices to connect simultaneously, so in theory you should be able to do as you seek as long as all of the gear is compatible (same BT protocols for example).

On 6/27/2021 at 1:34 PM, Golden pennies said:

I love my equinox 800, but I hate taking off my headphones to listen to my pinpointer signal.

I just move one ear cup up and off my ear and slide it back behind the ear while pinpointing or conversing with my detecting buddy.  Not all that hard.  One draw back I have found when using integrated wireless pinpointers is having to go through the process of switching off the pinpointer in the event I have to re-scan the hole with the detector coil.  With a standalone pinpointer I just scan the hole as necessary then resume pinpointing without switching off the carrot.  I use both wireless integrated pinpointer or standalone depending on the detector that I am using at the time.