• The title was changed to "strawberry Moon" Hunt!

26 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

As many of you know, we have been having some good tide swings for the Summer Solstice full moon! Also called a "strawberry moon" here!  I went out to one of the renurishment beaches to look for some good sand loss! This particular beach has a limestone shore that "they" feel the need to cover with unnatural "beach" sand, for the "skin roasting" tourist traffic! The ironic thing is, most tourists come to explore the craggy limestone beach!🤯  Luckily for everybody, the sand mostly disappears fast on the lower beach! That, coupled with the extra low tides, makes for fun for most everyone!

It's always a tough choice to pick one or two spots to hunt in such a limited timespan! I was hoping to get some old silver, or jewelry from this area with my limited time! But forgot my all important screwdriver, for prying out the older targets from the limestone cracks! I improvised  with what I had, but it increased my recovery time, as i was having to pry most of my targets free with a piece of aluminum junk I found!

I did not find any silver or jewelry this time, but I did find a nice bronze spike, stuck under a ledge, that had to be worked out of it's sand and shell wedged cubby hole! And some more modern coins that were practically grown into the cracks! Sorta reminds me of how some of you all recover nuggets in a river or stream area! Gotta have the right tools, or it's near impossible!

Anyway, if fishing lead were gold nuggets, I'd be doing a seriously silly happy dance! But as is reality, I'll just add the 15-20 ounces to my lead bucket for other uses! Some had been lodged in the rocks a long time!

My best find was that spike! As I've never found one in that area! Also a few small pieces of copper sheathing! So the source may someday give up something more precious!👍👍

Pics to follow! 

20210624_181937.jpg

20210624_182045.jpg

20210624_182414.jpg

20210627_191002.jpg

20210624_184033.jpg

20210627_190831.jpg

20210627_191054.jpg

Great pics and story Joe. That looks like a really tough place to hunt. 👍 Guess everything there is wedged in stone.

I wonder what the spike is from, how old it is. Was it being used to break the limestone? 🤔 

• Like 3

That looks like some tough recovery areas. Lots of nooks and crannies to hide that gold in. I've found a couple of those spikes and I'm thinking they are from late 1700's to early 1800's as a guess. It's the crudeness and unevenness of the head that makes me guess that time frame. Cool area to hunt.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

wonder what the spike is from, how old it is. Was it being used to break the limestone? 🤔 

Wooden ship spike, and copper sheathing! So based on area probably 1700's-1900's! 👍👍

• Like 4

If I had not been hunting some sand areas, I didn't even need my scoop! But I definitely needed that screwdriver! And maybe a pry bar for some larger rocks that were wedged over targets! 

I  normally carry tons of tools and stuff in my truck, but had just cleaned it out, to go to the repair shop tomorrow! 👍👍

Those rocks look tough to pick through, got gravel beds up here with some sizable rocks that can be worked loose with a digger, not sure about that area though.

• Like 1

Great hunting and sorry for your scoop getting broke, wish you better luck on your next hunt.

Why would you take your truck to someone that would take your tools when they work on it.

Where I am at we don 't have to worry about it, because everyone around here knows where the mechanics live and would have no problems going back for their tools.

Just kidding and I wish you good luck.

• Like 2

Without getting political, let's just say the repair shop and the mechanics are not  the problem!👍👍

• Haha 3

Looks like those rocks go under the sand. I bet you find a lot of drops caught up just under that sand.

• Like 1

Hey Joe at least it looks cool there.  Here in central California we are well over 100 degrees.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1