135 Yr Old Park Continues To Produce....5 Silver And An Old Button In A 3 Hr Hunt!

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Have you tried consecutive noise cancels?  My experience is that when I do this I get a different channel most of the time, anyway.  Yes, sometimes the noise cancel procedure will take me from a noisy channel to a quiet one, but that ideal situation is rare.  Most of the time it takes me from a noisy channel to an equally noisy channel or a quiet channel to an equally quiet channel.  I think it's due to narrow band sources being easy for the detector to notice and avoid but broad band -- well, that's why they call it 'broad'.

Somewhere along the line in this forum I posted a histogram of channels created from about 50 consecutive noise cancel steps in my back yard (which is EMI noisy due to being close to my house and its wifi, etc.)  There was a rather broad peak in that experiment so it was working, but not like many people think it does.

If I'm really being persnickity I will manually go through all 19 channels and choose the one I find the quietest, but that may not be any better than just letting the detector 'brain' do it for me.

BTW, for those who use notch discrimination, I think it's best to noise cancel with all TID channels notched 'in' (by toggling the Horseshoe button to show all TID channels dark boxed) and then switching to your favorite notch pattern.  I don't know for sure that this leads to a 'better' noise cancel, though.  Just kinda seems to make sense.  Personally the only time I don't have all TID channels 'on' is when I'm detecting for native gold and the ground has lots of -9, -8,... hot rocks on the surface.

I typically wouldn’t do consecutive noise cancels...I pretty much trust the noise cancelling algorithm built into the Nox.  It’s soooo much faster than the noise cancel on my Explorer.  Along those same lines, I don’t bother manually changing the noise channel (up or down), however I used to do that on my Explorer because I didn’t like waiting for the machine to do a whole NC cycle.  

I’m doubting you gain anything by putting your machine in all metal before doing a NC.  I believe the audio is the only thing you don’t hear when you notch respective ID’s...you still see the actual ID number on the screen, even though it is notched out, which means the received data from the coil is still being internally processed by the Nox...you simply don’t hear it. “

^
ll
Correction to my above statement:  The ID does “not” show up on the screen for Notched out ID’s when the coil is swung over a notched piece of metal.  But I’m still uncertain whether you gain anything by making sure you go into all metal before noise cancelling. I don’t hunt with notching, but I do lower volume/tone for ID’s -9 thru 11 when trashy park hunting.  If I had the ability in 50 tones to hear the nickel signals at full volume and still be able to lower volume and tone on 15-17 ID’s, I’d do that....I think I can do that when in 5 tones (5 bins) but then I lose the ability to hear the difference between a quarter and a dime tonal wise (unless I look down on the screen to attain an ID)...I’m a “tone first” hunter...

• Like 4

Great job Raphis, I love the merc's. Nice to see your doing quite well. Wish you more luck next time out.

57 minutes ago, Kaolin washer said:

Now dig nice holes, so you can keep up the finds

15 minutes ago, dogodog said:

Great job Raphis, I love the merc's. Nice to see your doing quite well. Wish you more luck next time out.

Thanks, guys! 👍🏼

4 hours ago, Raphis said:

,,,, but then it’s all up to the user and his tolerances/capabilities....

Well well well.   I wish you could see the look on my Nox 800 buddy, if he read the reply you're giving here.   Ie.: that it was just his " .... intolerance and lack of capability ", eh ?   🧐     So when are you coming up this way to do some dueling , eh ?  I'm willing to duel with a robot (after all some humans have beat computers at chess, eh ?)

And also, what do  you say to a *certain* Etrac user, who has compared flagged signals, that says that there's not a single deep flagged signal you show him , that he can't equally hear/call, and vice-versa ?   Wouldn't this mean that the Etrac, in the hands of the right user, is an equal adversary in deep-junky-park-turf ?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Well well well.   I wish you could see the look on my Nox 800 buddy, if he read the reply you're giving here.   Ie.: that it was just his " .... intolerance and lack of capability ", eh ?   🧐     So when are you coming up this way to do some dueling , eh ?  I'm willing to duel with a robot (after all some humans have beat computers at chess, eh ?)

And also, what do  you say to a *certain* Etrac user, who has compared flagged signals, that says that there's not a single deep flagged signal you show him , that he can't equally hear/call, and vice-versa ?   Wouldn't this mean that the Etrac, in the hands of the right user, is an equal adversary in deep-junky-park-turf ?

There were actually some targets he could not ascertain with his E-Trac, but that was quite some time ago, when I first bought my Nox.  The signals I dug yesterday, I would not have dug many months ago.  This spot I detected yesterday morning has been pounded by me (Explorer), my buddy (E-Trac), a couple of capable  CTX hunters, and just about everyone else with a machine in LA county. 🤣. Heck, I missed the 3 merc pocket spill the week before at this spot and only found the 2 Rosie spill within 5 ft of the Mercs. So, if the experienced, seasoned hunters can miss the truly obscure, elusive targets, what about all the weekend warrior hunters?? These targets don’t exist to them...they see these targets as spurious noise (EMI and/or ground minerals).  Also, there were a few simple settings/mods on the Nox that could make/break ones ability to even hear a deeper, elusive copper/silver target.  Just because thousands of hunters buy a Nox, it’s not a given that all of those hunters will locate the same deeply buried, masked targets in EMI ridden sites...it’s the hunter who knows his machine and is used to hunting in those conditions for countless hrs that will make the elusive finds.....pretty simple logic, Tom!  

• Like 1

Dan,

Good to see you back in the field and posting those shinnys again!  Are you using the stock 11 inch coil or the 15 x 12 inch?  

Joe

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Raphis said:

......pretty simple logic, Tom!  

Which is why your Nox 800 will kick my Exp. II's b#tt.   So c'mon on !   There's a bachelor pad duplex unit that you can crash out in here.  Let's do a test  🙂

7 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Which is why your Nox 800 will kick my Exp. II's b#tt.   So c'mon on !   There's a bachelor pad duplex unit that you can crash out in here.  Let's do a test  🙂

I guess you didn’t read my entire opening post writeup.....maybe you were blinded by the silver? 🤣😆.  I’d love to meet up with you for a few days of hard hunting and watching you just shake your head in bewilderment, but I can only leave my house for 3 hrs at any given time, due to family members that I help take care of.  It sucks getting old/senile, but I’m sure most would be grateful to have someone else take care of them in the later stages of life.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cuniagau said:

Dan,

Good to see you back in the field and posting those shinnys again!  Are you using the stock 11 inch coil or the 15 x 12 inch?  

Joe

Hello Joe.  Gosh, it sure has been a long while since we last chatted.  My free time is limited these days, but when I’m able to get out for a few hrs, I’m either fishing or detecting.  I don’t have a 15x12 coil for the Nox.  I’d use one if I was beach detecting with my Nox, but I have never used my Nox at the beach...I’d rather use my TDI Pro.  It has been many months since I have been able to go beach hunting.  The 11” coil is perfect for me in the super trashy parks I detect.  Years ago, I used a 13” coil for my Explorer and did well with it (found a gold coin), but it started falsing in wet grass after a year of swinging it.