Rye Nevada Gold With Eq800 & 1st Test Of Gpx6000

Ridge Runner..The way the training was conducted as I said, when a target was found all the detectors had a chance to go over the ground. As it so happened there are no "big deep" targets found although the 6000 did a VERY respectable job on "smallish" targets as compared to the7000. I know that is not even close to scientific...just the way the targets presented themselves. Gerry did air tests on all detectors before we went into the field and the 6000 did well on big and smaller gold. However as I observed (and I am only a novice) nothing, not even a gold bug (in my opinion) can compete with an EQ800 for teeny tiny gold! So although the 7000 and 6000 can't compete on it, they sure can pick up "moderate size gold 10 to 12 inches deep. I don't think there is an "all around " machine but I would be happy with a 6000 and EQ800 used together. Ask Gerry what his conclusions are...I'd like to hear it put in words myself!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/1/2021 at 11:25 AM, aerospace guy said:

Just returned from Rye Patch where I attended training with Gerry to learn my EQ800 better. The timing was fortuitous because the new ML6000 was there to be picked up and used by another student. So whenever a potential target was found we all got to observe and watch all the detectors as well as our own to compare response before digging the target. It was REALLY instructive to see what an EQ800, SDC2300, GPZ7000 and the new GPX6000 would do in comparison to depth of target size and density of target etc.! What was NOT fortuitous were the extreme temps...oh well! Several conclusions: the EQ800 blew most of the other detectors away on very small gold..the GPZ and 6000 sometimes wouldn't even signal but the EQ would have a loud robust "zip zip"! That said, the 6000 and 7000 could pick up 10 inch deep targets of moderately small size that the EQ wouldn't "hear" until some inches were scraped off top of target. The 6000 in my opinion was better all around than the 7000 as well as WAAAAY lighter, better balanced, more ergonomic(folds up to a really small size). The 7000 probably is still "the king of depth" ..a former student stopped by to show his results with pics of large gold found OVER the length of a 3 foot pick handle ..really impressive! I as well as all but one person found multiple nuggets  with the EQ800...the person skunked was NOT using an EQ! Sure is tempting to go for a 6000 but for now I'll continue to improve with the EQ.

DSCN0258.jpg

Great comparison report, thanks!  I was planning on going to that training as well with that new updated detector in hand, but I decided it would be best for me to stick to a VLF and went with Eq800 instead from Gerry.  So I am curious, and did you find the initial setting recommendations that Gerry eMailed to his Eq800 customers useful as is or did you guys tweak things a little, especially for the smaller stuff?  If he did any updates to settings in the field, would love to hear how that went and what was done!

• Like 1

GotAu ..I would take one of the fall classes when it's cooler, I tried to get into the April class but was shut out by all the people waiting for GPX6000's...and then they didn't come in! So I ended up going in hot June because I didn't want to wait a 1/2 year for fall. By fall the 10X5 coils should be part of the class for comparison and I myself would like to see in person how much better they perform over the 6 inch DD coil...if it does! As for settings, Gerry does instruct us to deviate from factory setting for better depth and also how to make sense of the numbers on the screen. I had/have a bad? habit of relying on numbers because of doing a lot of beach detecting..Gerry stresses listening for the sound more than numbers. As the class taught us, real gold targets often started as minus (negative) numbers and as dirt was removed over the top of the target the numbers turned to consistent positive numbers!  PS: you won't always see those negative numbers with "factory" settings and therefore may not/probably would not dig the target. This is getting overly long! Read Steve H's tips on gold..it's long but thorough and explains in detail what you are trying to achieve and also goes into negative numbers a little. I myself like to increase sensitivity when over a weak possible target although it can get you in trouble "chasing" ground noise. I didn't answer your question because I would like to see you take the class....you will be a much better detectors for it.

• Like 1

Gerry or Stev H...would really like to know how the 10X5 performs on gold when you guys get some data so I can get inline to buy one if it has an advantage over 6 inch DD. Also Gerry or Steve, I would like to know how the 6000 does on "bigger" gold when that info becomes available. Of course I will be looking on the website also.

Pic below of nugget found with EQ800 this year in El Paso mountains Ca.

IMG_0806.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aerospace guy said:

Gerry or Stev H...would really like to know how the 10X5 performs on gold when you guys get some data so I can get inline to buy one if it has an advantage over 6 inch DD. Also Gerry or Steve, I would like to know how the 6000 does on "bigger" gold when that info becomes available. Of course I will be looking on the website also.

Pic below of nugget found with EQ800 this year in El Paso mountains Ca.

IMG_0806.jpg

Phrunt did a comparison video between the 10x5 and the 6inch, have you seen it?  Seemed that they were both equally sensitive, the 10x5 mostly towards the front and the 6-inch  across the middle. Overall, it looked like they were both equally good and the main difference was detection area.  I  asked anout getting one, but stuck with the 6-inch after getting recommendations that the 6-inch was just as good for finding smalls.

That’s a nice nugget! Did you find it?  I’m about a two hour drive from both the El Paso’s and 29 Palms, but only really spent most of my time in the Dale Mining District (29 Palms).  It has very small gold mostly, so dry washing is more productive there. I will have a better chance now to detect over in the El Paso’s as I recently joined a club with several claims there.  I certainly like the area, Randsburg is a interesting place to visit.

• Like 1

10 x 5 is just as sensitive as the 6 but covers more area and has the nose to poke into places.  Nice coil, its the only one currently on my Nox.  

Here is something interesting for you depth seekers.  I missed a piece of gold with my Nox at a Hydro Pit because it was detecting a square nail 6” below the gold.  My buddy with his GB2 detected the gold because it did not punch down as deep to hear the nail.  Food for thought.

• Like 2

GotAu...I belong to 3 clubs that have claims in the area. Yes I found the nugget on an Orange County 49er claim on the Garlock/Randsburg side of the mountains. Specifically an area called RRRC..'upper'. I would be happy to take you there sometime in the fall when it cools off a bit. I also belong to Taft Club as well as Antelope Valley Treasure Club which has a  160 acre claim on the North side of the mountains towards Burro Schmidt tunnel. I have been dry washing for a few years in all the areas and doing well and decided to get serious about detecting for nuggets so I bought the EQ800. Hopefully in the fall I can find some more nuggets this size.

In the first week of Oct. the AV club has a 3-5 day "chilly cook out" and I have taken guests there...keep in touch and maybe we can work something out....I go out with a couple guys who have 25 and 35 years experience and are really helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

El Pasos have been heavily worked but gold is still there. Check out Goler Gulch about 3 miles in, past the "narrows". You need to hike though. Bring plenty of water. And you don't need a jacket 🤪

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, aerospace guy said:

GotAu...I belong to 3 clubs that have claims in the area. Yes I found the nugget on an Orange County 49er claim on the Garlock/Randsburg side of the mountains. Specifically an area called RRRC..'upper'. I would be happy to take you there sometime in the fall when it cools off a bit. I also belong to Taft Club as well as Antelope Valley Treasure Club which has a  160 acre claim on the North side of the mountains towards Burro Schmidt tunnel. I have been dry washing for a few years in all the areas and doing well and decided to get serious about detecting for nuggets so I bought the EQ800. Hopefully in the fall I can find some more nuggets this size.

In the first week of Oct. the AV club has a 3-5 day "chilly cook out" and I have taken guests there...keep in touch and maybe we can work something out....I go out with a couple guys who have 25 and 35 years experience and are really helpful.

Thanks, thats a kind offer I’ll take you up on!  I am a new Taft member,  but haven’t been able to go there yet.  The  SDMA also, their claims are closer to Red Mountain and Johannesburg. I’ll PM my contact info for you.  Thanks!

41 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

El Pasos have been heavily worked but gold is still there. Check out Goler Gulch about 3 miles in, past the "narrows". You need to hike though. Bring plenty of water. And you don't need a jacket 🤪

Sounds like you know the place well!  Are there any claims that far in?