Equinox Update 4.0 Expected?

On 9/7/2021 at 3:37 PM, ☠ Cipher said:

With Nokta Makro intending to compete directly with the Equinox 800, and outdo it in build and features, then considering Minelab is title sponsor of Detectival, I wonder if it will force Minelab’s hand to go to a 4.0 update with more features for equinox. It sounds like there’s a good chance of hearing something about NMs SMF this weekend. Will Minelab respond in kind? The hosts of Detectival said on a recent UK podcast “there are a few surprises coming.”

Very unlikely.  The Legend is a great machine, the XP D2 is a good machine, but these machines effectively just caught up to the four year old Equinox. 

With the Manticore's imminent release, I'm sure it's all hands on deck at Minelab to get that machine into production. There's almost no incentive for Minelab to update the Equinox.

What updates would you like the see on the Equinox?

On 9/7/2021 at 4:12 PM, GB_Amateur said:

Even if possible without a hardware upgrade, would it make financial sense for Minelab to execute such a 'free' change?  Have they ever made such a significant change via software upgrade?  From what I've seen over the last several years, they don't even add new coil options and seldom do they allow aftermarket coil makers to do that.

Doesn't the 25+ year old Fisher Gold Bug 2 still the have the highest operating frequency (option) of any ground balancing IB detector?  If Minelab were to develop a detector for which a 100 kHz ground balance capability has significant application(s), would they even include it first as a selectable frequency option on a simultaneous multifrequency detector?

Considering that a special HF coil would be required, sure it could make sense as they can now sell you a $300 coil.

That said, given Minelab's lackluster coil portfolio for the Equinox, they're clearly not in the coil business, so I doubt this HF coil and upgrade will ever see the light of day. 

On 9/7/2021 at 5:37 PM, ☠ Cipher said:

With Nokta Makro intending to compete directly with the Equinox 800, and outdo it in build and features, then considering Minelab is title sponsor of Detectival, I wonder if it will force Minelab’s hand to go to a 4.0 update with more features for equinox. It sounds like there’s a good chance of hearing something about NMs SMF this weekend. Will Minelab respond in kind? The hosts of Detectival said on a recent UK podcast “there are a few surprises coming.”

The other night I was listening to the Beyond Sight and Sound podcast and, Chuck S. one of the Minelab Dealers and guest speaker, would not give a concrete release date for the Manticore.  However, he mentioned about another major release that is coming in the late Winter or Early Spring from Minelab.  It's really got my interests peaked.  

• Like 1