Quick Fix For A Damaged Cable

Hello all!

I own an Excal 1000 for almost a decade, and every couple years the cable of either the coil or headphones gets cracked. Nothing out of the ordinary I assume, since I only use it under saltwater for long periods of time, but I am done with Minelab ripping me off for a "simple" repair.

As a quick and dirty fix (I'll eventually replace the cable), I thought on cutting out the cracked cable section and putting an IP68 cable joint to get it running. I dont know if anyone has done something similar before, and if so I would like to know if it's a terrible idea or it might do the trick.

Thanks in advance.

ip68 joint.png

How about some overkill?

I particularly like 3M Temflex 2155 for a wide range of uses. If you want to add a lot of insulation to something this is the good stuff.

Temflex 2155 and put heat shrink over that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RobNC said:

How about some overkill?

I particularly like 3M Temflex 2155 for a wide range of uses. If you want to add a lot of insulation to something this is the good stuff.

Temflex 2155 and put heat shrink over that.

Thank you a lot, I had no idea that type of tape even existed. I'll definetely give it a shot.

If it cracked in one spot just a matter of time for the full cable to has issues. Patching is just buying time and could possibly cost you the coil or machine if you do not catch the next crack/leak in time, since you submerge your machine. 

Saltwater loves to leach into the coil or control pod............ thru the cable and destroy. 

Good Luck, and that is a cool fitting. 

• Like 2