Testing The Garret Apex + Viper Coil

10 hours ago, kac said:

Took the Apex out for another quick run at the local park. For kicks and not sure why I didn't think of it before, I kicked the volume up to 8 and turned it down on my headphones so my eardrums don't burst and you can hear nuances with the targets and even hear faint signals so it isn't a beep n dig as I first thought.

Do wish Nokta had a volume adjust on their headphones. Really makes a difference.

Thanks for this info which is not in the Apex manual btw,  I had this idea but never tried it in the field. Will try it asap ...   I like the Garrett MS-3 volume potentiometer ,  the MS-3 design is perfect ... 🙂

• Like 3

I use an [i]ORX[/i] with their Mi-6 pinpointer because I like to hear the pinpointer audio in my headphones.  That combination works well except I can't get ample sensitivity from that Pinpointer.

I also use a Simplex + with their green wireless headphones and Pulse-Dive Pinpointer.  The detector and Pinpointer work fantastic, but the headphones leave a lot to be desired. They're not the most comfortable and they are not very loud for my impaired hearing. And as you mentioned, there is no volume control.

Then we have the Apex with the MS-3 Headphones and AT Pro-Pointer w/Z-Lynk technology.

This makes a fantastic trio for me because all components work very well in any hunt site application I take on.  One reason the 'Apex Trio' is usually my first-grabbed and most-used outfit with the search coil of choice being factored in.

Monte

• Like 4

I do like the Nokta Green headphones better in the summer vs the MS2's & 3's from Garrett but I do agree the Nokta ones are not that loud, comfort wise they are ok. I like the Pulse Dive pointer with them but it is not sensitive to tiny targets like earings and find when paired to the headphones I had to keep turning the pointer off and going back to the detector to locate the target.

Put a pair of MS-2's on my Tejon and it makes a world of difference excellent audio on it now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kac said:

I do like the Nokta Green headphones better in the summer vs the MS2's & 3's from Garrett but I do agree the Nokta ones are not that loud, comfort wise they are ok. I like the Pulse Dive pointer with them but it is not sensitive to tiny targets like earings and find when paired to the headphones I had to keep turning the pointer off and going back to the detector to locate the target.

Put a pair of MS-2's on my Tejon and it makes a world of difference excellent audio on it now.

The N/M Green headphones are not bad, but the Minelab M80's are far more comfortable, and while a little larger, the Garrett MS-3's work just fine for me, any season.  I haven't tried the MS'2s in any of my corded headphones, but if I recall they used 8 Ohm speakers and I haven't found a decent set of headphones yet at 8 Ohm, 16 Ohm or even 32 Ohm.  My corded headphones are Killer B 'Wasp' and 'Hornet' and those are 150 Ohm speakers.

However, I do have Garrett's Z-Lynk Tx and Rx wireless kit and can team the MS3's up with my Tesoro's, FORS Relic or other devices if desired.

Oh, as for the Pulse-Dive Pointer, I am seldom chasing ear ring studs but have used it for that and it works.  My Sensitivity is always on '5' or reduced to '4' if there's EMI.

Monte 

• Like 3

I have MS 2's for back ups for both my wireless detectors. They sound very good. I read some where they use 32-34 ohm speakers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JCR said:

I have MS 2's for back ups for both my wireless detectors. They sound very good. I read some where they use 32-34 ohm speakers.

I checked Garrett's website and it says 8 Ohm speakers.  I'm still interested in checking them out as a set for a 'loaner', and who knows, I might be surprised.

Monte

• Like 1

They do sound good to me.