A Holiday Weekend With The GPX 6000

2 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Bogene’s setting will will not completely eliminate EMI on the 7000, but they do help to some degree. I found the best way with the 6000 using the 11” Mono is to use Zero Threshold in Manual Sensitivity mode (2.5 second long press the Ground type button) and just keep lowering the sensitivity till the EMI stops breaking through. The 6000 still has pretty good performance on shallower gold even with the sensitivity on its lowest point. 

What I like about the 7000/Bogene's is that you can run the machine with full bore while still minimizing EMI via treshold reduction (or via additionally dialing in high smoothing if you want to take a hit-I like that options less). I guess for the 6000 this is not possible and you have to reduce sensitivity in threshold-off mode to get the same effect. This appears to be an advantage for the 7000 where you have these settings to play with.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reporting Lunk, it seems a very good detector. 

• Like 2

Righto I`m going to be full of science, as a crazy HAM as well as a sun (no pun) touched gold detectorist I`ve found over the years EMI in my area (which has very little man made EMI) increases as the sun goes into its approx 11 year cycle, we are approaching the maximum activity of the current cycle, when solar flares etc influence electronic sensitive detectors/equipment as I`ve noticed it does over the years.

The 6K being the most sensitive deep detector we have experienced will be very susceptible to such as well as other EMI, hair brained as this sounds, experience not theory tells me this is so. The particular sun cycle we are in is showing signs of being a very active one that will affect some satellite communication, quietly some government agencies are preparing for this event having serious repercussions. Codan (MLs parent) should benefit by such as HF radio sales increase to counter the possibility of satellite communication being seriously affected.  

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

26 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Righto I`m going to be full of science, as a crazy HAM as well as a sun (no pun) touched gold detectorist I`ve found over the years EMI in my area (which has very little man made EMI) increases as the sun goes into its approx 11 year cycle, we are approaching the maximum activity of the current cycle, when solar flares etc influence electronic sensitive detectors/equipment as I`ve noticed it does over the years.

The 6K being the most sensitive deep detector we have experienced will be very susceptible to such as well as other EMI, hair brained as this sounds, experience not theory tells me this is so. The particular sun cycle we are in is showing signs of being a very active one that will affect some satellite communication, quietly some government agencies are preparing for this event having serious repercussions. Codan (MLs parent) should benefit by such as HF radio sales increase to counter the possibility of satellite communication being seriously affected.  

Interesting perspective, thanks Norvic! Let's hope that this sun cycle will not just bring more EMI, but also a rich yield of gold nuggets for all brave members on this forum

6 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Bogene’s setting will will not completely eliminate EMI on the 7000

Just as a review ... are all Bogene's Settings alike on the 7000 and would they also be the same on the 6000?  Is there a 'range' of Bogene's Settings is what I'm trying to get at or is there just Bogene's and everything else is not Bogene's?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Norvic said:

Norvic in HAM talk; we may need to work out detecting days or hours between countries to avoid generating EMI between us via the Ionosphere Skip during the Solar Max period LOL. This could explain the frequent need to retune our detectors as the Ionosphere is changing between us lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chet said:

Norvic in HAM talk; we may need to work out detecting days or hours between countries to avoid generating EMI between us via the Ionosphere Skip during the Solar Max period LOL. This could explain the frequent need to retune our detectors as the Ionosphere is changing between us lol.

QSL, tis all that upover /downunder activity,😉 from recent daytime contacts into Russia/Europe on 15M will be a a very active max period, bands will have more chat then Facebook........... 

In reference to detectors being affected I suspect as the sun rises and sets into this max period we will be noise cancelling more often at those times than we do during the rest of the day.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Just as a review ... are all Bogene's Settings alike on the 7000 and would they also be the same on the 6000?  Is there a 'range' of Bogene's Settings is what I'm trying to get at or is there just Bogene's and everything else is not Bogene's?

MN:  The advantage of "Bogenes" settings is that the operator can choose the degree of tolerable background "chatter" simply by fine tuning the threshold. Personally I prefer some background "noise" as faint signals will be missed with a near silent threshold. The critical key to success is to keep the RX gain at maximum. 

The ability of the trained human ear to isolate repeatable targets from background noise is the key to utilising such settings. This is also applicable to the earlier Minelab detectors -

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1