52 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

The loops are large, so depending on the size of your belt, the pouch might move around more than you'd like. I could fix this problem if I really wanted to, but it's not a big deal.

The belt loops are the only minus I see, but for a different reason.  I like wide belts (I'll photo my 'rig' later today) but don't like the fact that the straps are above the full pouch as opposed to 'hidden' like on some competitor models.  I like my pouch to mount high around my waste so it does less swinging, etc. when I walk.  When mine arrives next week I'll see if I can talk my wife into modifying it.

I'm not one who likes the mesh bottom of many pouches.  I bring my finds and trash (while still in the pouches) into the house to sort and the mesh bottom leads to dirt and dust falling out in the wrong places.  (I don't water detect so that advantage isn't relevant for me.)  Everyone has his/her preferences.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

but don't like the fact that the straps are above the full pouch as opposed to 'hidden' like on some competitor models.

Now that you mention it, it's possible that my issues with the pouch moving around might be better remedied by moving the loops down (like you referenced) as opposed to making them smaller.

Something to consider...

• Like 3

Here's my Park Pack. I prefer a shoulder sling bag because belt rigs tend to slide off me after a while. 😬

I carry a water bottle, roll-up dump bag for trash, a small tackle box for good finds, probe, modified weed puller, a towel and knife and bulb shovel (in case I need to make a slit in the grass to dig a deep target), a small flashlight, and my F-Pulse pinpointer and Cache Pro Elite pinpointer (to discriminate deep iron targets). It's a small, light rig that doesn't scare park goers or parks dept. personel. 🙂

ParkPack.jpg

• Like 5

park-school_detecting-gear.thumb.JPG.378f8b6526e5e410d6d9ef1e90824e2f.JPG

Here's my park/school gear.  (I was feeling guilty for it not being minimalist but then I saw CPT_Ghostlight's post.  😉)

(Lower, from left to right):

1) GI belt (army surplus),

2) Estwing rock hammer/pick sheath (not used for parks/schools but keep it mounted),

3) knee pads (above belt, from Menards -- Midwest big box hardware/lumber store),

4) White's Bullseye TRX (for fine target location after Carrot gets me in the ballpark),

5) ankle straps (made for bicyclists, but I use for extra coverage to keep bugs out of my pants legs),

6) hook on belt for carrying gold pan,

7) TreasureWise leather sheeth (beats the hell out of nylon) and toothless (modified) Lesche (don't want to damage tree roots),

8 ) Detectorpro Carry-All finds and trash pouch with Garrett Carot pinpointer.

(Above center):

Fisher plastic Gold Pan with the following:

a) plastic garden trowel (handle serendipitously removed -- for deep loose dirt removal when other scoops are inconvenient),

b) insect repellant (actually leave it in the vehicle, but good reminder...),

c) 1" wide aluminum garden trowel (for working between roots),

d) spray bottle containing water (used to indentify coins, then quickly dry the find -- in case you don't know it I'm allergic to dry-rubbing finds, might as well use sandpaper, IMO....)

e) nugget scoop (removes lots of looose dirt quickly).

The gold pan (which I typically carry in my non-detector hand) doubles as an easy storage container for loose dirt and a handy place to dump scoop that contains target for further location with pinpointer.  All the loose items shown in the gold pan go somewhere in the finds/trash pouch.  I don't wear gloves except in winter to keep my hands warm (I have three different weights depending upon how cold it is).  I seldom put my bare hands into holes; I let the scoops do that. 

My homestead (permission) setup is pretty much the same except for longer handled tools (e.g. reinforced Lesche Sampson, pick, etc.)  My gold prospecting setup shares some items but this thread is about park/school/homestead/beach(?) so I'll leave those details out.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Here's my Park Pack. I prefer a shoulder sling bag because belt rigs tend to slide off me after a while. 😬

I carry a water bottle, roll-up dump bag for trash, a small tackle box for good finds, probe, modified weed puller, a towel and knife and bulb shovel (in case I need to make a slit in the grass to dig a deep target), a small flashlight, and my F-Pulse pinpointer and Cache Pro Elite pinpointer (to discriminate deep iron targets). It's a small, light rig that doesn't scare park goers or parks dept. personel. 🙂

ParkPack.jpg

Thanks Cap'n! Nice unique rig. I never saw a Cache Pro before. I've seen the Berry and bird tools, they are great for being careful in parks. Maxpedition gear is tough stuff. 👍 Recently I've talked a couple of RV parks into letting me detect there, no sense in leaving a bad impression. My blade of choice is a Benchmade mini Barrage, but I have a Gerber Paraframe.

• Like 1

GB, We use the same tick and mosquito spray Ha Ha. Today it did little good, I think it was more of an attractant. I got murdered by the blood suckers but still came out on top!!!!  I'm amazed what I endure for this hobby.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

park-school_detecting-gear.thumb.JPG.378f8b6526e5e410d6d9ef1e90824e2f.JPG

Here's my park/school gear.  (I was feeling guilty for it not being minimalist but then I saw CPT_Ghostlight's post.  😉)

(Lower, from left to right):

1) GI belt (army surplus),

2) Estwing rock hammer/pick sheath (not used for parks/schools but keep it mounted),

3) knee pads (above belt, from Menards -- Midwest big box hardware/lumber store),

4) White's Bullseye TRX (for fine target location after Carrot gets me in the ballpark),

5) ankle straps (made for bicyclists, but I use for extra coverage to keep bugs out of my pants legs),

6) hook on belt for carrying gold pan,

7) TreasureWise leather sheeth (beats the hell out of nylon) and toothless (modified) Lesche (don't want to damage tree roots),

8 ) Detectorpro Carry-All finds and trash pouch with Garrett Carot pinpointer.

(Above center):

Fisher plastic Gold Pan with the following:

a) plastic garden trowel (handle serendipitously removed -- for deep loose dirt removal when other scoops are inconvenient),

b) insect repellant (actually leave it in the vehicle, but good reminder...),

c) 1" wide aluminum garden trowel (for working between roots),

d) spray bottle containing water (used to indentify coins, then quickly dry the find -- in case you don't know it I'm allergic to dry-rubbing finds, might as well use sandpaper, IMO....)

e) nugget scoop (removes lots of looose dirt quickly).

The gold pan (which I typically carry in my non-detector hand) doubles as an easy storage container for loose dirt and a handy place to dump scoop that contains target for further location with pinpointer.  All the loose items shown in the gold pan go somewhere in the finds/trash pouch.  I don't wear gloves except in winter to keep my hands warm (I have three different weights depending upon how cold it is).  I seldom put my bare hands into holes; I let the scoops do that. 

My homestead (permission) setup is pretty much the same except for longer handled tools (e.g. reinforced Lesche Sampson, pick, etc.)  My gold prospecting setup shares some items but this thread is about park/school/homestead/beach(?) so I'll leave those details out.

Thanks GB!

Minimal is my preference, but remember I have a golf cart that I keep a lot of stuff in. 😀 Water and bug spray in particular. I have only detected on beaches near the RV parks I go to, so stuffing a water bottle or 2 in my cargo shorts is how I hydrate. Run out of water and it's time to quit.

I'm jealous of your TRX, been reading about that pinpointer, shame they're about as hard to get as a Coiltek 10x5. I see you take really good care of your digger, bet your Sampson is clean too. I have a 25 year old spade I used initially in the farm fields that looks new, it gets a coat of WD-40 after every dig. Take care of your tools, they will take care of you.

Wrangler came out with a line of shorts, long pants, and insulated long pants a few years back that have cell phone/water pockets. Sometimes I separate my finds in the cargo pockets and use the pouch for trash. Just about everywhere I go I'm wearing them in some form. They're cheap at Walmart and Amazon. They even have colors other than camo 🙄

The main gist of this thread is for getting an idea of what people use, and ideas for additional gear. Bring it on! Yeah, prospecting rigs are probably a bit bigger... 😀 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dogodog said:

GB, We use the same tick and mosquito spray Ha Ha. Today it did little good, I think it was more of an attractant. I got murdered by the blood suckers but still came out on top!!!!  I'm amazed what I endure for this hobby.

I keep Repel 100, Skintastic (picardin) and Cutter 15% DEET in the golf cart. Despite all this, I've plucked at least 10 ticks and nymphs off me so far this year. We used to joke in the army that Cutter was an attractant. Now the ticks are all grown up, so I haven't seen any in the past few days. My big problem is that the deer flies are nearing their demise, so they are ravenous. I was out this morning and they were like F-16s. Chiggers and mosquitoes make up the rest of the summer. 😵

• Like 1

CHIGGERS-CHIGGERS-CHIGGERS, OH Man those things are the worst!!!!! I had a trip to Kentucky and suffered for a month after my return. If I hunted in the south a lot I would bring Napalm in large quantity's. Deer fly's also killed me there also, Damn I hate F'ing bugs.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I'm jealous of your TRX, been reading about that pinpointer, shame they're about as hard to get as a Coiltek 10x5. I see you take really good care of your digger, bet your Sampson is clean too.

I have another TRX which I'm overdo getting serviced (button wore out).  Another personal preference and although I love mine and didn't mind paying $150 each, I wouldn't pay the exhorbitant prices they are bringing now (up to $400??).  Those should come down -- there's always a time window when no-longer available but still desirable items get their prices run up, sometimes to ridiculous levels.  I think we're in it.  And maybe (fingers crossed) Garrett will both have the ability and the motivation to recreate them.  White's had some really good products over the years and the TRX was one of them that still AFAIK hasn't been surpassed for its unique qualties (but not for everyone, I understand).

I try to find a happy medium between using my equipment but also keeping them maintained in good condition.  The Lesche handheld is so resilient (including resistant to rusting, bending, other damage) that IMO you'd have to intentionally try to trash it to do so.  I've used the hell out of mine (including in difficult packed crushed stone) -- "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' ".  I've broken multiple plastic recovery scoops and worn out 2 sets of kneepads as well as my 1980 vintage Dexter hiking boots -- now there's a company from New England that made high quality products but went the way of dodo thanks to cheap-ass consumers buying crap products....  (OK, time to get off the soapbox.)  Oh, my wife is in charge of the Sampson since I got it 'for her' :biggrin: to use in the garden.  I did have a friend reweld it to meet Simon/Phrunt's exacting standards.

• Like 2