22 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I have another TRX which I'm overdo getting serviced (button wore out).  Another personal preference and although I love mine and didn't mind paying $150 each, I wouldn't pay the exhorbitant prices they are bringing now (up to $400??).  Those should come down -- there's always a time window when no-longer available but still desirable items get their prices run up, sometimes to ridiculous levels.  I think we're in it.  And maybe (fingers crossed) Garrett will both have the ability and the motivation to recreate them.  White's had some really good products over the years and the TRX was one of them that still AFAIK hasn't been surpassed for its unique qualties (but not for everyone, I understand).

I try to find a happy medium between using my equipment but also keeping them maintained in good condition.  The Lesche handheld is so resilient (including resistant to rusting, bending, other damage) that IMO you'd have to intentionally try to trash it to do so.  I've used the hell out of mine (including in difficult packed crushed stone) -- "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' ".  I've broken multiple plastic recovery scoops and worn out 2 sets of kneepads as well as my 1980 vintage Dexter hiking boots -- now there's a company from New England that made high quality products but went the way of dodo thanks to cheap-ass consumers buying crap products....  (OK, time to get off the soapbox.)  Oh, my wife is in charge of the Sampson since I got it 'for her' :biggrin: to use in the garden.  I did have a friend reweld it to meet Simon/Phrunt's exacting standards.

Here's a photo of my 'cuda next to that 25 year old spade that has been to Helenback with me. I've been using the Barracuda since my wife bought it for my birthday. My Grandfather was a serious gardener, he had the most beautiful yard I have ever seen, and his tools were immaculate. I think it skips a generation. 😀20210705_182936.thumb.jpg.47be109ca8d8e7951b98083c2ce71f71.jpg

I remember Dexters, they made boots for the Army too. These days I wear Merrells. Wish they made them here. 🇺🇲

There was a used TRX on eBay from England at a decent price recently, but the shipping made it unobtanium. 😵 I have my fingers crossed for Garrett too...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Here's my park/school gear.  (I was feeling guilty for it not being minimalist but then I saw CPT_Ghostlight's post.  😉)

LOL, I tried going with just a screw driver for a day, but after running back to the car every few minutes for another tool, I decided that wasn't going to cut it. Then I went full assault pack, but that got me some funny looks, so I got the smallest pack I could find (6"x5") and crammed eveything into that. No weird looks since then. I just look like the eccentric old guy in the park with the weird waterbottle holder and funny looking walking stick! 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One unexpected but positive result of this thread:  when I went out the my vehicle Monday morning to grab my gear for photographing I noticed my White's Bullseye TRX pinpointer wasn't there.  I had last detected Saturday mid-afternoon....  Uh-oh.  I drove to that location (only 10-15 minutes, fortunately) and noticed the grass had been cut since I was there.  Another strike against my chances of finding it (in one piece).  Why do they always mow right after I detect?!?!?!

I parked in a private business lot (but they were closed for the holiday) and quickly walked over to where I had last dug.  Sigh of relief #1 -- I could see the TRX down in the grass.  Was it damaged?  Sigh #2.  No visible signs of trauma and it turned on and off as normal.  It was pushed down to the ground's surface so apparently the mower's wheel had run over it, possibly saving it from the blades.  Another loss averted, and this one more/less irreplaceable.

This isn't the first time I've left items in the field but typically it's things I don't normally carry/wear (e.g. raincoat).  (Oh, once I started to drive off with my detector leaning against the vehicle, but heard the 'smack' as it hit the ground.)  I must get in the habit of looking through all my gear when I load it back in the car.  That would prevent the issue I experienced this weekend.  Hot, tired, sore, disappointed with finds -- all distractions that make it easier to forget something.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 2

Happy that you found it GB! 

The thing I lose the most is cleaning brushes. I found USA made brushes on Amazon for $5 a pack, typically I use the nylon and brass brushes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EUZSM6A

These are great, and 3 fit well in a Glock 9mm double stack mag pouch for those that wear MOLLE or wide belts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Hot, tired, sore, disappointed with finds -- all distractions that make it easier to forget something.

I can relate to that.

I usually tether my pinpointer when hunting away from my home. The one exception: when I hunt tot lots. I have so few pieces of gear, it's easy to account for everything I need to bring home.

Glad to hear you didn't lose your TRX. That's like losing $250...

• Like 1

Here's a really good belt for attaching gear, most metal detecting stuff comes with MOLLE straps or snap straps. It's $25, and has a Cobra style buckle:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08FFC82V3

15 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Here's a really good belt for attaching gear,...

What are the advantages of that style over the more conventional/traditional/historical GI belt?  As can be seen in my photo, I use the grommeted holes of the latter for attaching some items. 

Like most of my gear, for lower priced products I've bought identical or nearly identical backups to protect against situations such as companies going out-of-business or discontinuing products, not that this ever happens in metal detecting....  🙄  But variety/optionality is good, too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

What are the advantages of that style over the more conventional/traditional/historical GI belt?  As can be seen in my photo, I use the grommeted holes of the latter for attaching some items. 

Like most of my gear, for lower priced products I've bought identical or nearly identical backups to protect against situations such as companies going out-of-business or discontinuing products, not that this ever happens in metal detecting....  🙄  But variety/optionality is good, too.

I loved those belts, used the web gear too. They use MOLLE now, possibly something even newer.

The belt has a well padded Velcro - attached insert that makes it extremely comfortable and also serves to hold your tools in place if they just go around it rather than a MOLLE attachment in the loops. The price is what got me, they claim to be a Veteran owned company FWIW. $25 is cheap for a belt of that quality, most if not all of the reviews are glowing.

3 colors ! 😀 Sizing is important, I have 2 of them. One for when I'm wearing heavy clothes. Get the size closest to your belt, not the next one up. Each has 4" of leeway.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

They use MOLLE now, possibly something even newer.

Had to Google that to figure out what you are referring to.  Here's a short YouTube video which shows the principle:

• Thanks 1

GB: MOLLE is pretty handy, but just keep in mind that it carries certain connotations. Depending on where you hunt, it could draw additional unwanted attention.