My detection gear :

- A leather belt with the Profind 35 pinpointer and a pouch for trash and targets.

- A rucksack ( Lafuma Lancruiser 65 ) which contains a lot of things :

. the detector - here an Apex +  the spade ( Fiskars Xact )  2 parts in the central pocket
  . a water bottle in the left side pocket
  . my wallet , the car key  , a Garmin Oregon 600 and mosquito spray in the right side pocket
  . the MS-3 detector headphones in the top pocket  
  . etc ...🙂

DSC02722.JPG

DSC02726.thumb.JPG.12c87bb1c26d8cfd6e20352bbd0b034b.JPG

DSC02724.JPG

DSC02725.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, palzynski said:

My detection gear :

- A leather belt with the Profind 35 pinpointer and a pouch for trash and targets.

- A rucksack ( Lafuma Lancruiser 65 ) which contains a lot of things :

. the detector - here a Garrett Apex with the MS3 headphones
  . a big spade ( Fiskars Xact  ) which can be taken apart into 2 parts.
  . a water bottle in the left lateral rucksack pouch
  . my wallet , the car key  and a mosquito spray in the right lateral rucksack pouch
  . a GPS ( Garmin Oregon 600 )
  . etc ...🙂

DSC02722.JPG

DSC02721.JPG

DSC02724.JPG

DSC02725.JPG

Thanks for posting!

Really like that shovel. Looks like that pack can hold a fair amount of stuff. I take it you travel off the beaten path so to speak.

• Like 1

Speaking of shovels, I am intrigued by the idea of carrying a titanium shovel. The ones I find all seem to come from the USSR, the masters of the planets' titanium. A couple are available on eBay:s-l400.jpg.78bb03152b5c6e5261d94dcbdb8e1363.jpg

This one is $20 with $20 shipping. Guess we'd have to talk @steveg into a carbon fiber shaft 😀

This one is $45 with $25 shipping:

2133470199_s-l400(1).jpg.0ce78eb549e8bb60edc25d67ef775194.jpg

I know how tough this stuff is, but would it hold up to what we put our steel through?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

GB: MOLLE is pretty handy, but just keep in mind that it carries certain connotations. Depending on where you hunt, it could draw additional unwanted attention.

I sort of agree, but doesn't metal detecting in any public place draw unwanted attention? 😀 It sure has for me. Yeah you don't want to look like Johnny Tactical, but some things can be a real asset. These belts are comfortable, hold a ton of gear, and keep it from shifting around. 2,500 reviewers can't be wrong. 😉

When I feel I am good enough at it (I'll admit I'm kinda snarky) maybe a post on how to effectively (and briefly) deal with the public might be a good one. It would be a great gathering of ideas and probably be amusing.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

but doesn't metal detecting in any public place draw unwanted attention?

Oh, most definitely! But I'd rather have a cop called on me b/c I'm metal detecting, not playing "army."

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Speaking of shovels, I am intrigued by the idea of carrying a titanium shovel. The ones I find all seem to come from the USSR, the masters of the planets' titanium. A couple are available on eBay:s-l400.jpg.78bb03152b5c6e5261d94dcbdb8e1363.jpg

This one is $20 with $20 shipping. Guess we'd have to talk @steveg into a carbon fiber shaft 😀

This one is $45 with $25 shipping:

2133470199_s-l400(1).jpg.0ce78eb549e8bb60edc25d67ef775194.jpg

I know how tough this stuff is, but would it hold up to what we put our steel through?

My experience with titanium is limited to camping gear. But in my opinion, titanium's advantage is weight, not strength. Again, in the camping context, stainless steel is far more durable than titanium in most applications.

So I think if you needed a light duty shovel, titanium would be a great option to save weight. But if you planned on really using your shovel in a way that would make you consider reinforcing a steel version of the shovel, then titanium may not be the most durable material.

It's almost my understanding that titanium doesn't hold an edge as well as steel. I could be mistaken, though.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

Oh, most definitely! But I'd rather have a cop called on me b/c I'm metal detecting, not playing "army."

It's probably a topic for another thread, but it's my understanding that a good percentage of detectorists are prior military, including me. I would caution that dissuading others from repurposing military gear for metal detecting because it's "playing army" seems a bit derisive, no?

I have had the police called on me when beach hunting, problem was I had already visited them, so the caller got no satisfaction. The officer responded to the call but didn't say a word to me. There are those who are so imbued with the desire to feel superior! 😵

I'd much rather wear some ripstop BDU-like clothing when I'm mucking about in the fields and woods than any of the latest fashion from REI. I've bought from there for my trips to visit Mayan temples, and I gotta say a poncho would have been preferable, but yes there it wouldnt be "de rigueur". Military gear lasts and is far tougher. If you saw me hunting where I live it might terrify you, but here is is standard issue. 😉

Know your destination 

Gear up accordingly 

Be as respectful of the destination and those in it as honor dictates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mh9162013 said:

...In my opinion, titanium's advantage is weight, not strength.

Or put another way, titanium has a high strength to weight ratio.  Aircraft/spacecraft are particularly critical in saving weight which makes aluminum and titanium among their top candidates.  Bottom line is that if you're carrying the larger tools, particularly for a long distance (or a long time) then strength/weight is going to matter, possibly a lot.  If your vehicle is doing the heavy lifting, probably not worth the extra cost, extra wear, etc.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I would caution that dissuading others from repurposing military gear for metal detecting because it's "playing army" seems a bit derisive, no?

I didn't mean to come across that way, but I can see how my prior comments might be perceived that way.

However, in today's political climate, combined with how so many people are just asking for a reason to call the police or complain, I think that doing everything you can to not stand out is a good approach to take.

Is it fair? Probably not. But the world isn't based on reality, but the perception of reality.

So if you're dressed in a way that is more likely to induce a negative perception, I think it's something to be avoided...or at least it should be a conscious decision.

But wearing military-esque gear or clothing isn't going to elicit the same negative perception in all areas.

Like you already alluded to, "when in Rome..."

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

if you're carrying the larger tools, particularly for a long distance (or a long time) then strength/weight is going to matter, possibly a lot.  If your vehicle is doing the heavy lifting, probably not worth the extra cost, extra wear, etc.

Kinda like the difference between backpacking or thu-hiking versus car camping.