Ok, so I was fortunate enough to get my hands on the GPX 6000. It got delivered lightning fast and I was really pumped up in getting it so fast. I called and booked some time at the Native American village I hunt at a lot, for this Thursday. The machine was supposed to get here on Tuesday but arrived on Saturday. I was like a little kid in a candy factory!!!! So I charge the battery a while up to 8 volts, and assemble the machine which is a breeze. What a nice looking, nice feeling unit. Even the packaging is thought out well. Here we go. Pop that battery in, hit the power button, watch the circle spin and then it happened. I get the dreaded devil symbol - 😈  "!" Exclamation point. Not the one with the coil pictured too, just a single, flashing "!" The worst symbol on the machine. Yes, I tried both coils with the same results, and I tried to do a factory reset, but you can't do it. You can't even shut the machine off with that symbol flashing, you have to remove the battery. So I think you know where this is heading... unless there is some miracle fix that they can come up with, it looks like I will be shipping this machine back to the dealer or to a Minelab repair center. It didn't even make a sound while I turned it on....silent from the beginning. I'm thinking this machine knows how hard it's going to get used during my hunts and decided to bail on me 😆 So needless to say I will be pulling out that old outdated (but EXTREMELY durable) GPX 5000 for a general hunt at the Native village. Really bummed out about this. I would think that the machine should have been tested before it got shipped. but with high demand come these types of problems. When I do get it working I'm going to run a post about how it does beach hunting in the fall and small relic hunting at the village site. With no discrimination, I may not use it anywhere else, unless I'm in the mood to dig.

P7030219.JPG

P7040220.JPG

• Confused 1
  • Sad 13
  • Oh my! 4

Aw man, that is a sad story. No way to put the battery in backwards or something simple? It's a shame that even expensive stuff can arrive DIB (Dead In Box). I've seen it many times with high tech gear in my career. 😵

2 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Aw man, that is a sad story. No way to put the battery in backwards or something simple? It's a shame that even expensive stuff can arrive DIB (Dead In Box). I've seen it many times with high tech gear in my career. 😵

No way to install the battery wrong. This is a nicely engineered machine. It slides and snaps in place securely.  It's not the end of the world, but it kills the momentum I usually get before a hunt. I'm just dreading the re boxing, insuring  and time wasted returning and receiving a fixed one. Gets old after a while, that the consumer always gets inconvenienced no matter if you spend $.99 or $6,000.00.  Be interesting to see if anyone else has issues with it. I'm hoping it's an isolated issue or it's my screw up, so that others won't have to deal with the hassle of returns/repairs.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your new toy having Postpartum depression from leaving the factory.

I had a similar problem on a piece of equipment, and found that if I removed the battery for about 30 minutes, and then reinstalled it and placed the whole thing on charge  that it took care of the problem.

Just maybe it would work for you, remember to turn it on while it is plugged in before you disconnect the chargeing cable.

Good luck and hope it is something simple.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mike_Hillis said:

You only charged the battery to 8 volts?   

Fully charge the battery and try again.   Metal detectors do not like low batteries.

Good luck,

Mike

It IS an 8-Volt battery when charged.  So that’s not the issue.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

55 minutes ago, Mike_Hillis said:

oops.....I thought it was a 12 volt battery.

Ok...stand corrected.

Mike

Mike - to be fair I think the charger is designed to be able to be hooked directly to a 12VDC deep cycle or vehicle battery in the field with jumper like cables so that may be a source of confusion, but the detector battery itself has an 8VDC nominal terminal voltage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike_Hillis said:

You only charged the battery to 8 volts?   

Fully charge the battery and try again.   Metal detectors do not like low batteries.

Good luck,

Mike

Charged it full and I think it read 8.2v or 8.3v.