What Kind Of Travel Case Or Flight Case Do You Prefer?

Hi Everyone,

Yes, I’m still around, but in Alaska doing last second preparations for departure. I just got a request from a vendor to ask people what they are looking for in a protective case for travel. Imagine a high end coin or gold prospecting detector that you want to take on a trip. What kind of case do you want? Stuff like hard shell or padded soft shell, size, accessories that need to be included (or not)?

So design your perfect case, or show your own example you already have. Lots of us use gun cases or bow cases for example. This is your chance to have some input in the design process. :smile:

My input is I do not use cases that look like they have valuable stuff inside. I do not like advertising my valuables to thieves. I go for non-descript, not something that screams “take me.”

• Like 7

• The title was changed to What Kind Of Travel Case Or Flight Case Do You Prefer?

23 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hi Everyone,

Yes, I’m still around, but in Alaska doing last second preparations for departure. I just got a request from a vendor to ask people what they are looking for in a protective case for travel. Imagine a high end coin or gold prospecting detector that you want to take on a trip. What kind of case do you want? Stuff like hard shell or padded soft shell, size, accessories that need to be included (or not)?

So design your perfect case, or show your own example you already have. Lots of us use gun cases or bow cases for example. This is your chance to have some input in the design process. :smile:

Hi Steve, for me it would be a hard shell case with foam molding for a collapsed 6000 and 7000 upper part (shaft + control box) with two separate foam moldings for 2 coils and lower shaft with adjustable and expandable molding size from 10 to 20 inch (could be done with extra inlets to adjust for coil size). A combination lock on the case would be great. Could be two separate cases for the 6000 and 7000 to make the case not too big. Hard shell because it would be better for air travel.

Thanks for working on this and have a wonderful trip!

Steve:  Thanks for asking this question.  A few  quick thoughts as I may have more ideas later.  My preference is defined by the metal detectors and multiple additional coils that I currently own.  It would be a very durable (Pelican quality comes to mind) hard shell case with removable foam blocks, similar to a camera case so that it can be custom fitted to a specific metal detector;  the removable foam blocks should be underlaid with a solid sheet of high density foam to give a minimum level of protection to the detector; enough space for two or three additional coils on lower rods;  a fold down type handle (in the center and also on one end & preferably metal with reinforced attachment) and also an optional carrying strap; imbedded suitcase style wheels on the end opposite the end handle for towing through the airport; high quality metal latches (a  minimum of two and preferably three to five with one on each end) to secure the case; either a strong hasp for a lock or a high quality combination lock on the case;  if a hasp is used, the hasp area should be recessed so that the lock will not be sheared off by another nearby object; and a military grade (continuous with no seams) water proof seal.  The case should be able to withstand high-impact sharp blow crushing forces of luggage loading and being dropped from the luggage door of an aircraft onto the tarmac (personal Alaska experience) with the case and contents undamaged.  The case corners should be reinforced with either additional high-impact polymer or rounded metal corner shields to protect from corner impact damage.  The case should be able to protect the contents from any damage due to a fall of at least 15 feet or about 5 meters (interior foam cushion designed accordingly). Color is not a major factor for me.  If only one color was available I would  choose black.  A light gray or white color option might be nice for high heat areas such as desert environments.  It would also be nice if it would float.  I would personally prefer to have this unit made in America with rigorous quality control.

• Like 2

I agree with Steve on this one. I don't use a separate "steal me" case either. Depending on the airline, it may cost extra money to take an extra case too. I just pack mine in a BIG soft sided suitcase padded with all my clothing. In the last few years, most airlines won't allow a locked case, and will break the lock if they want to inspect the contents, so, security of having a special case is moot. Granted, it may offer a bit more protection from the "gorillas" in baggage claim, but, I'd rather not put a target on it either.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cascade Steven said:

It would be a very durable (Pelican quality comes to mind) hard shell case with removable foam blocks,...

When I drive on long trips (my preferred method of travel) I just set the detectors on my bed -- no special packing used.  I've driven across country (5500 miles round trip) twice as well as a couple shorter (but still multi-thousand mile) trips this way with no problems.  Needless to say when I'm detecting near home I don't use a case, either.

The Pelicans are pretty much the industry standards for carrying delicate items (such as cameras) and you do pay for their reputation.  I started off with a ~$160 Pelican case (inside dim's 5.5" x 11" x 20") which I'm pretty sure is small enough to qualify as an airline carry-on case.  (However I always checked mine.)  A downside of this size is that some detector shaft sections, even when broken down, don't fit.  (White's longest lower shaft is an example.)

I later bought a larger hardshell case (inside dims 7"x17"x22") at Sam's Club (special one-time item no longer available) for $40 which was almost as durable.  This one is too large for carry-on, at least officially.  I used it only once, I think.

I went to the trouble of buying those TSA combination locks (for which they have a key) and that was a waste as the first time someone jimmied them.  (Who?  Many suspects including TSA....)  Then I decided it's not worth locking as these cases don't come open by themselves and if someone want so look inside they will do whatever it takes to get in there, including steal it and eventually realizing there's nothing inside they want.

A big downside to carrying one of these is that everyone thinks there's a gun inside (which apparently is allowed, but...).  Think about it -- how many guns are in the USA compared to metal detectors?  That's a big downside, IMO, considering guns are way more stealable/usable/resellable here than metal detectors (duh).

Bottom line (which others have echoed, and something Steve H. has said multiple times previously) is that best is to carry on the delicate parts (control unit), well cushioned, and put the bulky shafts, coils, etc. in your checked luggage.  If you really want to go the extra mile then a carry-on sized hard-shell case can be used for the delicates.  The required size for that should easily qualify as a carry-on, just be ready to show and explain after it goes through the X-ray tunnel.

(Probably my post isn't helping someone set on building and selling cases for metal detectors....)

• Like 1

Great question Steve, I often wondered why someone wouldn't come up with a good one. If I can contribute to this I would prefer a non-descript suitcase style. The uglier and planer the better. Years ago I had a very very expensive custom rifle never make it to a hunt. It was a basic lockable case which I wrapped in brown paper and packing tape. I had the gun insured and the airline was great, but it could never be replaced with dollars.  So I would need something that looks like a normal case, where some airline employee would just pass it by and think it was underwear. Oh and it should fit most breakdown detectors. I would have to say cost would have to be around $200 or under.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

If you really want to go the extra mile then a carry-on sized hard-shell case can be used for the delicates.  The required size for that should easily qualify as a carry-on, just be ready to show and explain after it goes through the X-ray tunnel.

There is nothing to explain. TSA knows what a detector is. I have not garnished questions in years.  Soon I will have a 12X15 coil in my carry-on. 

19 hours ago, midalake said:

There is nothing to explain. TSA knows what a detector is. I have not garnished questions in years.

Well, that's your experience.  I wish I had a nickel for every time TSA has stopped me for some inane reason regarding my person or my carry-ons.  My world seems to be a lot more complicated and 'rich' in experiences than some people here.  But I still do my best not to demean others when I disagree with them.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Well, that's your experience.  I wish I had a nickel for every time TSA has stopped me for some inane reason regarding my person or my carry-ons.  My world seems to be a lot more complicated and 'rich' than some people here.  But I still do my best not to demean others when I disagree with them.

A simple difference of opinion is not demeaning. Just trying to share my 30 years of airline travel with detectors for the readers. 

• Like 2