What Kind Of Travel Case Or Flight Case Do You Prefer?

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I went to the trouble of buying those TSA combination locks (for which they have a key) and that was a waste as the first time someone jimmied them.  (Who?  Many suspects including TSA....)  Then I decided it's not worth locking as these cases don't come open by themselves and if someone want so look inside they will do whatever it takes to get in there

I want to disagree.

I recommend not only do you have TSA locks, and on ALL checked bags one cinch strap around it. Two straps is even better.

It is not about creating the look of something inside. Rather stopping convivence. The true targets are bags with nothing slowing anyone down from getting inside.  

Also to note the airline reimbursement for any lost or stolen bag is between  $3,300 per passenger and $1,742. Make sure you don't have a lopsided bag for personal cost. Even though I have never had to file a claim, the figures airlines are required to pay are quite generous and in most instances for me would be a money making venture.  Dave

Settle down gentlemen, people have different opinions all the time, and some airlines and TSA agents make their own rules as they go.

Should I ever take a airplane trip I will find a hard shell case with a foam padding inside of it. That way I can make my detector fit the way I want it to. I would even take it on the plane with me if there is enough room for some clothes inside it. I usually purchase items at a store for bathroom use shampoo, razor, toothpaste and soap anyway. Then all my snacks for late night movies, it makes the maids mad cleaning the chip crumbs from the bed.

Like this. Badaboom, Badabay. 

1: Foam. Adjustable to fit detector and pinpointer at least. 

2: Soft Shell + Hard shell. Thieves know hard cases have the cream of the crop. Make it look like another chinese bag with thin plastic, nothing to look into. 

3: Lock (pretty good, 4 combination prefered) 

Josh 

• Like 2

I love cases and have a few nice rifle cases for my detectors, but the few times I've flown with my detectors, I just break them down and put them in my regular luggage and take the contol pods in my carry on. So far I've only had one TSA agent ask me a question about my Nox controller and all he wanted to know was if it was a 600 or 800. ...We are everywhere... 😎

• Like 1

Hi Steve ,

I may be off topic , but I like rucksacks  . For several reasons ,  because I have my hands free when carrying a rucksack ,  second it is easier to carry heavy loads with a rucksack than with an hardcase , and there are a lot of pockets in my rucksack for all my stuff ...  The detector in the central pocket can be protected by adding pieces of foam ... Just an idea for easy travelling , and in the field... But a top end rucksack is required , this one is a Lafuma Landcruiser 65 and its price was around 180euros , mine is a second hand ..

DSC02726.thumb.JPG.b2f390f7fbfe09b9d153de3307824233.JPG

10 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I love cases and have a few nice rifle cases for my detectors, but the few times I've flown with my detectors, I just break them down and put them in my regular luggage and take the contol pods in my carry on. So far I've only had one TSA agent ask me a question about my Nox controller and all he wanted to know was if it was a 600 or 800. ...We are everywhere... 😎

TSA agent: That a Nox? 

CPT: It is! 

TSA: 800 or 600? 

CPT: 800 (I know this from the "gear used") 

TSA: (mysteriously) We are everywhere... (evil detectorist laugh) >:) 

Josh 

• Haha 2

• 2 years later...

Thought I would update this post. Anyone else have newer stuff/ideas?

Today I took some reloading equipment and gun related stuff to a gun store in Boise I like to thin out some of what I inherited. In a partial trade I picked up two cases. Almost identical, one is a tactical rifle and gear case, the other is a mobile gear crate. The difference being one has a gun tray, the other a deep gear tray. They have small wheels on one end (but no coffee cup holder 😥). The inside dementsions are 39.5"L x 11"W x 9.5"H. Not super padded but I can adjust that accordingly. I can fit two Nox 800's and coils, 6" 11" and 15" plus gear. It does take some spatial aptitude. Or I can fit in a gpx 4500 with coils (15x10 shown.  Has holes for locks if desired. 

Not a pelican case but but a nice option too protect the detector and gear. And it's made USA.

KIMG0669.JPG

KIMG0668.JPG

KIMG0667.JPG

KIMG0666.JPG

KIMG0665.JPG

• Like 6

Digging tools or scoop in my average looking locked hard side suitcase with my clothes.    My Deus II in my 280 back pack as a carry on.  Worked well….and no TSA questions even about the MI-6 pinpointer that I thought sure could be mistaken for a stick of dynamite!  🤣

• Like 3