Not The Bucket Lister I Wanted To Find, But!!!

Doggo, I have dug one Trime. I hardly find any silver, and that seated half dime would sure make me dance a jig. Might even post it. I didn't know what it was until I got back home and looked it up. You... will... find one.

A Trime is as difficult to pick out as a half Real, and it's even smaller. It's gonna be a 16/17 at best.

Great stuff. I woulda been happy with the Civil war IHPs and the button! 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dogodog said:

I called my buddy over to look at my trime and he proceeded to tell me I did NOT repeat NOT find a Trime but a 1857 seated 1/2 dime. Well being in love with the trimes I was highly disappointed. I Have this seated coin on my bucket list but a little lower on the scale. My buddy thought I was nuts, maybe I am?

Too bad we don't live closer because I'd provide you a shoulder to cry on..., and while you were occupied with that I'd relieve you of that silver 5-cent piece!  I've yet to find any seated coin (nor any 3-cent pieces, nickel or silver).

OK, I do feel bad for you and your friend because of the dates of your other finds.  If you could have just added any of 1 thru 7 to that 1865 IHP you would have had a semi-key.  And your friend's 1874 Shield was 5, 6, or 7 years too early for being one of the three key dates.

Do I sound like someone who hasn't found even a silver Roosie in several weeks?  😪

:laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Glad you found the humor in my pain GB Ha HA. Here in PA the rosie's come out of the ground like Zincoln's. I would love to have you here to share my pain and bug bites. PM me your address and I'll seed your yard with rosie's like the silver Santa.

• Haha 4

Nice hunt. I haven't found a 3 cent, 2 cent, Shield nickel, Standing Liberty quarter or Bust coins. I have found some seated coins.

Going to a spot tomorrow and hope I get some IH's.

• Like 2

F350, I've been on a trime quest for a while and want to thank you for the help with the id numbers in another post. Oddly when I popped that coin I thought of your advice and want to believe somehow you gave me some more confidence to not walk away from some of those odd id's that usually produce some rather normal finds. Glad this forum is here for all of us to trade info. This goes to show that sometimes things aren't always what you think.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dogodog said:

I've been on a trime quest

The ID will be the same for a trime, and the tone will be just a little bit shorter. You seem to be in the right area for them, so be extra careful when looking for them. I have hit one that was on it's edge and it was just a quick blip, but a 19 on the 800.

Keep looking and it will show up soon for you, good luck and happy hunting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Baby steps, starting with clad dimes to rosies, then the mercs and barbers, seated and halfs. Your almost there!

Nice shape on that one and those IH's look good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh, boo hoo for all those "common" coins you guys are finding!!😫  When you get excited over finding a wheatie, than we can talk!!😤  😜🤣

(Congrats!)🍀👍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

'dogodog', keep at it and never give up hope.  Site selection is the #1 key to success, but a close #2 are the following things:

-> Be patient at all times.

-> Use the best coil to handle the conditions.

-> Work a site slowly and methodically.

-> Covder a site well ... that means overlapping and scooting the coil in and around dense brush and debris.

-> Usethe least amount if Discrimination you cantollerate.

-> Remember, all visual TID is only a 'suggestion' or 'electronicly-generated'  'guess' of what made a beep ... recover all good and reasonably iffy Audio hits and take a look to know for sure.

-> Pick the best detector you can afford for the types of sites and conditions you'll face, opt for the best coil for the task, then learn and master it well.

I only have one 'bucket-luster' coin to find, but I  wouldn't mind finding more of any early-era coin.  I have been fortunate to have enjoyed this sport a long, long time and searched a number of very productive places, with 99% of those being "Out West" here in the USA.  In over 56 years of very avid detecting, I have found a lot of older coins. Seated Liberty coins have outnumbered Barber coins about 30-35 to 1, Indian Head Cents used to be numerous, I would get about 5-7 'V' Nickles for every 3-4 Shield Nickels depending upon the location. Large  cents, 2-Cent pieces, 'nickel-type' 3-Cent pieces, Half-Dimes and more.  But in all this time, ONLY ONE Half-Cent, Flying Eagle Cent ... and ONLY ONE silver Trime.

But I never give up trying, and neither should you.

Monte

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1