Lethal Weapons

What settings have you been using in that field?

Aaron

Grass looks extra long & thick there.  Have you found older (e.g. Wheaties and silver) at this site?  Hopefully at some point they will either cut the grass shorter or it will dry out and you can get the coil closer to the deeper targets (assuming this site is old enough to have those...).

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 10:24 AM, Aaron said:

What settings have you been using in that field?

Aaron

Today, I used Black Sand (first time) Threshold minus one, disc at zero.  Sens I usually run at nine, but today I ran at seven.    Hunted Mix mode whole hunt.      In this field 8 maybe 8.5 inchs is about all the cover there is.    Today's deepest coin was a dime at a honest 7.5 inchs.   In Mix could l could  definitely pick out the chimes.  In disc the chimes weren't so definite.    Had a small tab in that zone too.      Had one target, numbers bouncing all around the teens with plus signs.   Around six in" deep, bottom of the plug, a nickel. Checked the plug, just above where the nickel was, layed a small piece of alum. can.  

On 7/6/2021 at 10:28 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Grass looks extra long & thick there.  Have you found older (e.g. Wheaties and silver) at this site?  Hopefully at some point they will either cut the grass shorter or it will dry out and you can get the coil closer to the deeper targets (assuming this site is old enough to have those...).

Grass wasn't much of a problem. What was good was the ground is still moist for this time of year. This a older field but not old enough for Silver coins. Although, have dug a Silver Kennedy half that some kid lost one time.  About a half dozen pieces of Silver jewelry threw the years ,but a 158 coins this year and zero bling. Oh, yeah Wheaties arn't uncommon.   It's just a nice field to hunt, stays mowed and hardly ever used.

• Like 2

I’m not concerned about your depth more your gold, or lack of, especially if you’ve gone over the area well!

Try this…. If you’ve removed most of the non ferrous, and it’s not too trashy, put it in All Metal, Salinity in 43, Sensitivity at 1-2. Turn Black Sand off, threshold @ 0.

You do NOT need high gain for small gold and you don’t want to be picking up deeper ferrous or other junk.

The idea here is to find gold. If it’s a athletic field there has to be small gold there, your looking for VDI numbers 1-4. If for some reason you missed them before, maybe cause of the Black Sand on and you were in Disc, you won’t miss it this time. Having the Salinity on at 43 will also help tell the difference between god/aluminum & little pieces of foil, (especially decomposed OLD foil).

Remember….the Tarsacci does NOT hit hard on irregular pieces of foil, UNLESS it’s wadded up solid! Get used to the sound of foil if you aren’t already!

This will also be good training in All Metal Analog which I believe you were working in before. 

HH! Aaron

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

I’m not concerned about your depth more your gold, or lack of, especially if you’ve gone over the area well!

Try this…. If you’ve removed most of the non ferrous, and it’s not too trashy, put it in All Metal, Salinity in 43, Sensitivity at 1-2. Turn Black Sand off, threshold @ 0.

You do NOT need high gain for small gold and you don’t want to be picking up deeper ferrous or other junk.

Aaron, I will definitely try out your settings as I'm going to give the field a complete going over with the 12" coil.   The trash is at a minimum I know for a fact, cause I digged it all.

The idea here is to find gold. If it’s a athletic field there has to be small gold there, your looking for VDI numbers 1-4. If for some reason you missed them before, maybe cause of the Black Sand on and you were in Disc, you won’t miss it this time. Having the Salinity on at 43 will also help tell the difference between god/aluminum & little pieces of foil, (especially decomposed OLD foil).

Remember….the Tarsacci does NOT hit hard on irregular pieces of foil, UNLESS it’s wadded up solid! Get used to the sound of foil if you aren’t already!

This will also be good training in All Metal Analog which I believe you were working in before. 

HH! Aaron

• 1 month later...

Nowhere have I seen a mention of frequency used. Just curious.

Truthfully I haven't found a magic Frec while mud  hunting my mild dirt areas.    I do lean toward the lower frecs but couldn't tell you why.    Depth varies as to the fields I'm hunting.  (sports fields)    Am heading to a Delaware beach for 7 days next week.   Using the 12" coil.    This beach is packed with people daily.   This is my 12th year staying there for a week. It's a crap shoot cause of plenty of competition but always a lot of fun

• Like 2

On 8/16/2021 at 3:26 AM, Dancer said:

Truthfully I haven't found a magic Frec while mud  hunting my mild dirt areas.    I do lean toward the lower frecs but couldn't tell you why.    Depth varies as to the fields I'm hunting.  (sports fields)    Am heading to a Delaware beach for 7 days next week.   Using the 12" coil.    This beach is packed with people daily.   This is my 12th year staying there for a week. It's a crap shoot cause of plenty of competition but always a lot of fun

My question was more in response for his sake. I am strictly a water hunter and my salinity balance changes drastically depending on coil and or frequency used. In water that would be a high frequency salinity setting and would never work for 6.4 or 9 kHz. I don’t know if that holds true for dirt.