Beat The Heat Hunt

Thanks for the long, honest report.  It mirrors my 7000 results from the same area.  When the gold is gone ... it is gone.  There is nothing going on geologically to replace it.  Previous technology has removed most of it and maybe all of it in some areas.  It is just a fact you demonstrated again with your highly trained ears.  Thank you.

• Like 1

Mitch,

Just means either California side of the hill or more out laying areas of Northern Nevada!  I’ll find a new patch and then swing my 7000 over it, to see what the deal is 👍

• Like 2

There is always gold left somewhere. I have not yet seen an area that has been completely depleted by detectorists, with the exception perhaps of very small club claims. But normally, the area ratio of land/coil is just way to big. Even at Majuba placers I find gold most of the times I go there, albeit granted much less than years ago. And this area is probably one of the most pounded areas on Earth...😉

• Like 1

GC, 

I’ve been going to Rye Patch for years!  Have we ever met?  I know you own a 7000 & 6000.  I’m not saying all the gold is gone at Rye Patch!  My group has over 40 patches there, that we’ve been swinging on for years.  I didn’t swing the entire patch of any of the ones i visited, in the story above.  Just the sweetest spots!  It was 101 at Noon when I left.  There’s gold on every patch we know there waiting for a 6000 to find it.  Now, would it be enough to put a smile on my face?  I’ll find a spot, that will if it ever cools down 😂

LuckyLundy

• Like 2

I think it really depends on the perspective and expectation what to find, LL. I am fine with smaller finds as long as I learn something about the area and my machines. Now, if you go for larger gold patches with the potential for higher return then this is a different story, and I am with you completely. I just hear way too often that all gold is gone from a certain place while I (and others) still find some. But as I said, it all depends on the goals you set. For instance, on Friday I will be back at Big Bear to hunt an old patch with the 6000 at mild temps. My goal is to have a pleasant hunting day without heat and perhaps find what I did not find with the 7000 before. So, I have rather modest expectations and little can make my day 😁 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LuckyLundy said:

Until the next Hunt!

Great reporting on your hunt and thanks for sharing it. Glad to see you came up with a couple of pieces of the golden joy.

Could someone use a bulldozer to turn to ground over to uncover more gold? Is that possible or am I wrong about that? I am new at this and am trying to learn everything about prospecting out there.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 2

Good job, Lucky; way to persevere and beat the heat...and the 🦨!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

Could someone use a bulldozer to turn to ground over to uncover more gold

Valens,

You have to know your ground!  Vast majority of Northern Nevada’s nugget patches are shallow.  Now, don’t get me wrong!  I carry a shovel in my truck or Side X Side and have dug a few holes a little over 2 feet to retrieve deep nuggets.  I’m sure back in the Hey Days of Rye Patch with many multi ounce nuggets some where deeper than mentioned with my shovel.  But, normally, a foot or less deep.  So, scraping a few inches off could make a difference.  If you’ve pulled several nuggets out of a patch a foot or more it could be worth the expense of the equipment, fuel, permit, reclaiming push and seeding!  For the most part, most gold detectorist search for the next patch instead of rolling the dice on hopes of deeper nuggets.

Rick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

Could someone use a bulldozer to turn to ground over to uncover more gold? Is that possible or am I wrong about that? I am new at this and am trying to learn everything about prospecting out there.

There have been many areas pushed at Rye Patch.  Some legally and some well ... at times when there was no one around to do anything about it.

I remember one of my first trips there about 10 years ago and there were 'pushes' all over the place for some reason.  They were not very big but ... I didn't know.  I was told that someone from a University was taking samples.  I very much doubt that story years later.

Other sections that are owned by the mining companies have been pushed.  Claims can be 'staked' and permits can be issued for pushes as long as you put up a bond to put the place back in order.  This was allowed by the BLM in the past but the nominee for BLM now may not issue such permits.

There is also something proposed called the 30x30 plan which may put many of our patches off limits.

Get your gold while you can ladies and gentlemen.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1