GPX 6000 - Emi Troubles - Some Data For Minelab?

GPX 6000 - EMI troubles - Some data for Minelab?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced bad EMI whilst using your GPX6?

• Yes - but very little and nothing I can't tune out.
    • Yes - small to medium levels but I put up with it as I don't want to 'dumb down' the detector.
    • Yes - frequently to almost always.
    • Yes - constantly, regardless of what I do.
    • No, not at all.
  2. 2. If EMI has been giving you troubles on the GPX6000.

• The EMI is worse when using the in-built speaker.
    • The EMI is the same regardless of which audio option I use.
    • It is better at Manual Sensitivity of 1 but I feel I am losing detecting performance by having to do this.
    • At the exact same location the EMI handling is better using the 14" coil in EMI Cancel mode.
    • I have turned off/left in the car all electronic devices and it made no difference.
    • It is worse in Difficult mode.
    • It is worse in Normal mode.
    • It is worse in any of the Manual Sensitivity settings.
    • It is worse in either of the Auto Sensitivity settings

15 hours ago, tboykin said:

I could not use my GPX yesterday with the speaker due to noise. To test this I sat down, and let the detector hum without any movement for about a minute. Then I switched to the supplied Bluetooth headphones.

The pitch variation was worse with the speaker. At about 101F it was too hot for headphones but I was left with no choice.

I repeated this test today earlier in the day and the speaker seemed to effect the threshold less. My guess is that the amplifier and speaker windings are inducing noise somehow. I will write Minelab about this issue since after spending six thousand dollars I would really like to use the speaker. However since today I could not replicate the issue, it may only happen during bouts of bad EMI or maybe the component just needed some time to bed into the pcb.

If the issue persists I will send it in for repair or request a solution. I am very surprised Minelab released this detector with the issue since I’ve seen others report the same thing.

I'm not...although I am a very happy user of minelab products they have done this before...the 2300 and the loose battery box issue...they have redesigned this on the new ones and so now here we are the original owners with the same problem while newer ones are shipped out with a better set up...I cant even find the battery casing for sale on line...when I brought it up on line before the minelab dealer said I should just up grade to a new 2300 and trade in the old one....sorry nope not going to spend another 3.5 k in the mean time I will just insert a plastic spoon into the battery box like I was shown the first time I used it lol....so here you are with your new three thousand dollar machine but you have to put a plastic spoon inside the battery box to keep the batteries from bouncing around and the machine re setting...so I am not surprised at all that minelab would send out a brand new machine with speaker issues....JP already has said not to use the speaker so there ya go...what I'm concerned about how this machine will be in the California foot hills...will the emi be so bad that it is useless? 

strick

• Like 4

I have no EMI issues where I hunt. In fact, I think it performs really well even with the 11 mono, better than the SDC or Z. But it requires operator discipline. Again, a price for ultra sensitivity while managing a wide variety of ground conditions.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mike C... said:

Is there a chip in the new 6000 coils ? :ph34r:

yes 😞

• Like 2

I've a totally unused 14DD 6K coil ready to be sacrificed for the cause of aftermarket coil users.

11 minutes ago, Norvic said:

I've a totally unused 14DD 6K coil ready to be sacrificed for the cause of aftermarket coil users.

Then you had better hope the ACM makes a DD because the detector will think that’s what’s attached and will load and calibrate its settings accordingly. 😂 

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Then you had better hope the ACM makes a DD because the detector will think that’s what’s attached and will load and calibrate its settings accordingly. 😂 

Nah I'm hoping they are much more clever as they have already demonstrated.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Nah I'm hoping they are much more clever as they have already demonstrated.

Not to put too fine a point on it Norvic, they haven’t actually done anything clever about circumventing the security chip, if anything it’s probably the reason why the chip is now inside the coil rather than the connector. 🤔  However the latest CC coils are quite clever and do actually work quite well in all ground types if you have the muscles to swing them after being thoroughly spoilt by the 6000. 😊 😝 

Indeed the CCs are clever as are all the X coils, but you are correct in saying I am spoilt by the 6K it is a magic machine, and will be even more magic with the coming X coils. Innovation will always win.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1