GPX 6000 - Emi Troubles - Some Data For Minelab?

GPX 6000 - EMI troubles - Some data for Minelab?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced bad EMI whilst using your GPX6?

• Yes - but very little and nothing I can't tune out.
    • Yes - small to medium levels but I put up with it as I don't want to 'dumb down' the detector.
    • Yes - frequently to almost always.
    • Yes - constantly, regardless of what I do.
    • No, not at all.
  2. 2. If EMI has been giving you troubles on the GPX6000.

• The EMI is worse when using the in-built speaker.
    • The EMI is the same regardless of which audio option I use.
    • It is better at Manual Sensitivity of 1 but I feel I am losing detecting performance by having to do this.
    • At the exact same location the EMI handling is better using the 14" coil in EMI Cancel mode.
    • I have turned off/left in the car all electronic devices and it made no difference.
    • It is worse in Difficult mode.
    • It is worse in Normal mode.
    • It is worse in any of the Manual Sensitivity settings.
    • It is worse in either of the Auto Sensitivity settings

Depth should remain the same no matter what sensitivity setting you use.  It’s just the amplification of the signal that you’re getting. If you reduce the amplification, the signal is still there just “softer.”  That is pretty much the case for any metal detector.  It’s the technology that you’re using that increases the “depth.” 

4 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

In my experience, and I detect in high EMI locations, the 6000 is slightly more susceptible than the 2300. It is more powerful and has a bigger coil, so that is totally expected. Thankfully the Auto tune is super quick, and also, reducing the sensitivity to 2 or 3 if required usually gives me a stable threshold, and targets are still easily recognized. 

In extreme cases like close to electric fences, I can just strap on the 14". Can't do that on the 2300 or 7000. 

I was kind of wondering if this might be the case. SDC style of threshold and EMI reaction. And it makes sense like you said, bigger coil makes it more susceptible. For a lot of people that like silky smooth threshold they’re gonna have some relearning of how to listen through the noisy threshold unless you used and SDC extensivly.

3 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Depth should remain the same no matter what sensitivity setting you use.  It’s just the amplification of the signal that you’re getting. If you reduce the amplification, the signal is still there just “softer.”  That is pretty much the case for any metal detector.  It’s the technology that you’re using that increases the “depth.” 

The target signal strength is dependent upon the distance of the target from the coil. If you reduce sensitivity, you will less and less hear deep targets until they will disappear altogether. Hence, if you reduce gain, as we are talking about here, you will more and more miss deep targets. They are not just getting "softer", at some point they are gone. In order to counteract the weakening signal with depth you need to increase power (Rx), not reduce it. My question was how the 6000 measures up with this general rule at low gain compared to others. The general term "depth" means how accurate targets can be heard until the signal is so weak that the amplification can't get it through the treshold anymore. Something that depends of course on many other factors as well, including target time constants and mineralization. Here, I see the Geosense technology could have an edge, meaning that it could still "hear" weak signals better at lower gain compared to others.coil.thumb.JPG.24d6cf119b8e41791e8fe99df1864229.JPG

• Like 2

It sure would be nice if the low gain settings are just removing the noise. On the sdc I usually ran maxed out, as low settings didnt push the softer targets through the threshold audio.  At least that was my experience.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, WesD said:

It sure would be nice if the low gain settings are just removing the noise. On the sdc I usually ran maxed out, as low settings didnt push the softer targets through the threshold audio.  At least that was my experience.

Then you are surely used to chirpy tresholds...😉. I run mine barely past 3 ever

• Like 2

Ok, yesterday whilst detecting I had an irregular event for my remote area, a light plane went over at probably 1000ft, sight seeing I suspect. My 6K went totally unstable, so leaving it on no adjustments, coil on ground I had a spell and observed once the plane had moved on the 6K quietened down and I carried on for rest of detect. Unusual I've not experienced a detector react to such in such a way before, but it gives me an appreciation more of a detecting environment a lot are in everyday.

• Like 7

The 6000 is extremely wide band width, but I’m surprised a light plane at 1000 foot could set if off that bad. Fences can also be problematic (not as bad as a 5000) but fences will cause some irregular jitter when you get too close. The key is to keep the coil as flat as possible during periods of instability. 

• Like 4