GPX 6000 - Emi Troubles - Some Data For Minelab?

GPX 6000 - EMI troubles - Some data for Minelab?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced bad EMI whilst using your GPX6?

• Yes - but very little and nothing I can't tune out.
    • Yes - small to medium levels but I put up with it as I don't want to 'dumb down' the detector.
    • Yes - frequently to almost always.
    • Yes - constantly, regardless of what I do.
    • No, not at all.
  2. 2. If EMI has been giving you troubles on the GPX6000.

• The EMI is worse when using the in-built speaker.
    • The EMI is the same regardless of which audio option I use.
    • It is better at Manual Sensitivity of 1 but I feel I am losing detecting performance by having to do this.
    • At the exact same location the EMI handling is better using the 14" coil in EMI Cancel mode.
    • I have turned off/left in the car all electronic devices and it made no difference.
    • It is worse in Difficult mode.
    • It is worse in Normal mode.
    • It is worse in any of the Manual Sensitivity settings.
    • It is worse in either of the Auto Sensitivity settings

JP I am assuming it was the plane, no fence was within cooee or anything else that I was aware could set off the 6K, stability returned once plane was well past, experience I`ve not noted before thus plane could have had some unusual electronic gear on board. I know helicopters much closer have no effect as my backyard have them going over daily during winter delivering tourists to the resort properties and chasing poachers, they come in pretty close to identify non-poachers. Keeping the coil flat and close to ground did not help as that is normal for this old codger, especially yesterday as I was having a productive day, mobile phone on as per norm. w/. Oziexplorer for tracking/waypoint saving and not in aeroplane mode.

Please note I am assuming it was the plane, be only if more times this occurs can such an assumption be verified, I too was surprised.

• Like 3

Mine still protests with every airliner overhead, but it’s usually only about a minute of waiting or so, which isn’t intolerable. On a related note regarding EMI, we experimented with two 6000s, today. The 11 inch coils managed alright as long as they were kept 20-30 feet apart. We did not run that experiment with the 14 inch coils.
Later on, we did put on the 14 inch just to listen the threshold and test the sensitivity to some of the smallest nuggets. Even in Auto 1 Difficult EMI Cancel mode there was some mild interference chirping along with the other machine off. Unfortunately, I didn’t remember to flip the headphones back on. With hindsight, I’m suspecting the speaker was the cause. Always curious to hear anyone else’s results as they come in. 

• Like 5

Been running mine in manual 1 and 2 with intermitant emi as usual...able to work around the emi in my area with some agravation on my part...lol.  Tried my corded sennhauser headphones and didn't notice any difference so went back to the speaker.  I have noticed in my area some planes cause emi issues and some don't...????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oneguy said:

I have noticed in my area some planes cause emi issues and some don't...????

I don’t recall the exact equations from the college physics days, but I’d bet interference is governed by an inverse squared law regarding distance.  Perhaps altitudes used nearer to metro areas are in a whole different league than cruising altitudes with regard to EMI. But, I respectfully defer to any physicists or engineers.

Planes caused crazy EMI with my 4500 when I detected at a local gold spot near an airport, every time a plane went past I knew about it 🙂  It'd sound like a police siren on some of them while others just caused instability, so planes most certainly do have different levels of EMI depending on the plane.  Helicopters are buzzing around there all day taking tourists on sight seeing trips and they don't seem to cause any issues.     The earlier model GPX's are a great gauge for EMI as they're so effected by it, you blink too quick and you get an EMI burst.

Cars did too, at another spot near a highway I knew cars were coming before I heard their engine and road noise as they generated EMI somehow, I assumed their alternator or something.  

Many of the places I look for gold are quite high in EMI 😞

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

On 7/15/2021 at 7:42 AM, Skookum said:

Mine still protests with every airliner overhead, but it’s usually only about a minute of waiting or so, which isn’t intolerable. On a related note regarding EMI, we experimented with two 6000s, today. The 11 inch coils managed alright as long as they were kept 20-30 feet apart. We did not run that experiment with the 14 inch coils.
Later on, we did put on the 14 inch just to listen the threshold and test the sensitivity to some of the smallest nuggets. Even in Auto 1 Difficult EMI Cancel mode there was some mild interference chirping along with the other machine off. Unfortunately, I didn’t remember to flip the headphones back on. With hindsight, I’m suspecting the speaker was the cause. Always curious to hear anyone else’s results as they come in. 

Hi, can anyone help me with the following. Is the speaker on the 6000 bluetooth connected or hard wired independent of that system. I take it that when you want to use the bluetooth headphones you need to activate or turn on the bluetooth system at the hand set? or will the headphones pair up when you turn them on. 

Looking at the issue of planes causing interference when using the speaker system tells me that the bluetooth system is still operational even when not in use?  But im no expert. 

Most aircraft do have a DME system which enables the pilot to fly towards a particular airport that transmits a radio signal but not all airport have them. I see that the GPS systems are taking over this role with newer aircraft. In the manual for the 6000 it states 1.225KHz. need an expert to google up that frequencies are in use around the globe, cheers sturt

Still sitting on the fence regarding purchasing a 6000, cheers sturt

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Looking at the issue of planes causing interference when using the speaker system tells me that the bluetooth system is still operational even when not in use?  But im no expert. 

Nah, the speaker has naught to do with the pick up of EMI, I suspect those who believe this is so just have the volume turned up too much, the EMI I have experienced is there whether on the Bluetooth headphones or speaker tis just amplified with high volume as any audio interference is. I use the Torus aptX speakers mainly and though I`m not absolutely sure some EMI is caused by planes I suspect it is so and is simply a trade off between a super sensitive magic detector the 6K is. In the past such negativity has caused a lot of delay in those who sit on the fence, myself I have yet to be burnt by being a ML detector early bird and that is since they first built the 15000 way back last century. ML to date have not built a lemon IMO.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Norvic. Please dont get me wrong. I dont want to be classed as negative, but if Minelab wants me to part with $8000 then I would not be happy to find out one month after release in AUS you need to put the detector on the ground when a plane flies over. If thats the problem. I dont need to do that with my GPZ.

It looks to me that as people get familiar with the GPX 6000, some answers to questions need to be addressed on this valuable forum. I dont blame people for taking the plunge.

I use the 7000 and love it and have found plenty. Although I realize the GPZ is a heavy beast, and to some difficult to set and use, at least it has the numbers on the board. We all know that even the GPZ had a software upgrade at the start. cheers sturt

• Like 3