My detecting buddy found this a couple of weeks ago and we can't make heads or tails as what it is. I was thinking colonial being that the shield looks a lot like the shield on a New Jersey copper. The other half is obviously missing but I'm guessing it is a mirror image. Crossed guns with a shield. If anyone has come across something similar, We would like to know what it is. Hope you all can give me some direction.

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

• Like 8

Hey Dog,

Looks like some type American Infantry pin! I haven't found any with the center shield yet though! I think you are on the right track for Colonial era! The Civil War ones I looked at are different design wise so far! I'll keep looking! 

What type of metal do you think it is; and can you tell if it's cast or stamped!? And can we see the back? Look's cast to me! JMO

Cool find for your friend! Be nice to locate the other half!👍👍

• Like 3

The US military did not adopt the crossed rifles insignia for the infantry until 1875 and the crossed rifles with the Federal Shield design was not used until 1881. I like to see the back of the artifact if that's possible.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, dogodog said:

We would like to know what it is.

I have spent the past 3 hours looking at all types of pins and still haven't seen anything close to that.

Good luck on identifying it because I want to know what it is!

• Like 2

It seems to be stamped copper, I'll photo the back and get back to you, But if I recall its in reverse on the back (from the stamp)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dogodog said:

The other half is obviously missing....

Your middle photo doesn't show a break that I can see.  Why do you say 'other half missing'?

If you can get clearer photos with few shadows that would help. 🙂 

• Like 1

Is there any signs of a pin mount in the back?

Other thought is it could have been an emblem that was mounted on something.

• Like 2

I took the liberty of making a recreation of what the artifact may have looked like. Maybe this will help.

MysteryPin.jpg

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I took the liberty of making a recreation of what the artifact may have looked like. Maybe this wil help.

MysteryPin.jpg

Brilliant job there Cap'n! Thanks! Jumped right on it using Lens and... Nothing. 😵 

That is some great graphic work tho. 👍

• Like 3