Hi, I looked at my only reference book for American badges by Evans E Kerrigan (published 1967) thinking I has seen something similar. There are lots of bar shaped badges, lots with crossed rifles and or crossed pistols etc. and there are similar bar topped medal type badges. I took a photo of the section with the best looking shooting badges, and the text which says there were lots more - and those would warrant a book. Hope this helps.

DSCF9172.JPG

DSCF9173.JPG

• Like 3

Gb, It looks broken to me but it looks like the other rifle barrel comes past the other guns butt stock.

CPT GhostLight, Wow you did a fantastic job!!!! That's what I had thought it would look like. It's possible that it was two piece and the back is gone but it looks early to me. All the Civil War stuff that I have seen just doesn't look the same. Many thanks for the effort you put into that!!!

Kac, no pin back and from the pic's its small.

• Like 4

Just so everyone knows what the shield looks like on a New Jersey copper.

download (1).jpeg

• Like 5

Any post marks or signs of any sort of mounting on the edges? Maybe posts for tacks that may have broken off?

Kac, No post or marks. This is very thin copper, but possible two piece.

• Like 1

I thought it might be part of a marksmanship badge or medal, or the top part of a Civil War/Spanish-American War era medal. I did find a Spanish-American War era Marksmanship medal from the Pennsylvania National Guard. It's not the same, but it may have been from a similar medal only earlier vintage. Here's the link:

Spanish American War Era Pennsylvania National Guard Marksman Medal 1899 Bronze

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 6